How should I properly break in my new plasma tv?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Pachanga, Sep 5, 2007.

1. Pachanga

Pachanga OT Supporter

I have read up on the basics:

"When the plasma is initially installed, videophiles say it is best to do the following:
    Make sure the display is in a viewing mode (aspect ratio) that completely fills the screen (there are often three or more settings from which to choose). The panel is shipped in this condition, in what is called the “Just mode.
    Turn down the picture control (contrast) to 50% or less.
    Briefly engage the 4:3 mode to confirm the side bars are set to mid-gray (there is usually an adjustment in the Set Up menu that takes the sidebars from black to gray) to minimize the chance of burn-in.
    Return the set to a “full screen” (Just, Zoom, Full) position during the first hundred hours of use.
    During the first hundred hours of use it is best not to view the same channel for extended periods. This should prevent channel logos and other fixed images found on some channels from being retained.
    Avoid any static images (video games, computer images, DVD title screens, etc.) during the hundred-hour break-in.
    After the hundred-hour break-in period, during the next nine-hundred hours:
    Continue to retain the picture setting at 50% or less.
    Limit the use of 4:3 aspect ratio mode (traditional picture size that does not fill the entire screen) to 15% of viewing time.
    Limit the use of static images (computer, video games, etc.) to less than 10% of viewing time.
    After one-thousand viewing hours, panels are much less likely to experience image burn-in."

Should I also get one of those break in DVD's that you can dl through avsforum and run it for 100+ hours or is that just overkill? Thanks for any feedback. I saw SpunkXL's thread which touched on this briefly, but I was hoping for a little more...

2. GammaRadiation

GammaRadiation Active Member

So for 1000 hours you are sapposed to keep the contrast at 50% or less? Screw that, do it at the factory or I am buying LCD.

at 4 hours of viewing a day that is 3/4 a year worth of low contrast.

3. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

I agree with this portion. When I bought my plasma, I turned my settings to half way or less for the first 100 hours. I left my tv on discovery hd when I wasn't watching it. I broke 100 hours in less than 2 weeks. Just leave the tv on when you're home as long as it's an hd station that plays mostly hd programming...such as hdnet or discovery hd.

After the 100 hours, I do whatever I want. I optimized the picture settings and haven't had any issues with playing games for long periods of time, or leaving music choice channels on for long periods of time.

As far as a break in dvd, it's up to you. I didn't use one b/c again, as long as you vary the content and it fills the screen you're fine.

As I've said many times, I have friends and family who have purchased plamas and know nothing about tvs. They left them in torch mode and haven't had any problems...so you can do what you want. If your worried, stick to low picture settings for the first 100 hours, then knock yourself out.

4. Pachanga

Pachanga OT Supporter

Thanks for the feedback. I will probably just dim it a bit and watch normally, leaving discovery hd on when I'm not watching.

5. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

Has anyone had proof of problems by not following these procedures? Break-in times on most high-end equipment is just snake oil, I'm curious if it actually matters with Plasma.

6. SpunkyXL

SpunkyXL OT Supporter

New 2007 PLASMA's should not be having these Picture Burnout issues.. The first gen of Plasma's had these problems..