SRS How should I handle this? (Sold something on Craigslist)

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Gyromite, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Gyromite

Gyromite OT Supporter

I recently bought some Boston Acoustics computer speakers off Ebay and they didn't work with my laptop because I don't have a digital soundcard. They're pretty nice speakers - brand new - so I decided to sell them on craigslist for $50. I specifically stated in the ad that they required a digital soundcard.

So a guy responded and said he wanted them. He came over and picked them up and dropped off the cash.

Later that night I get an e-mail from him and he says he wants to return the speakers and get his money back because they don't work with his computer.

Part of me wants to be reasonable and give him the money back, but another part of me wants to just say, "Tough luck" because I clearly stated the speakers required digital. The person that sold me the speakers sure as hell wouldn't take them back just because I was ignorant, so maybe this guy should just suck it up and try to sell them on craigslist himself.

How do you guys think I should handle this?

2. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

If you listed in the ad what they required to operate, and he didn't bother to make sure they'd work with his computer, that is his problem. I'd tell him tough shit.

3. Gyromite

Gyromite OT Supporter

That's what I was thinking. When I bought them, I took a risk because I assumed my computer had a digital soundcard. The seller wasn't going to take them back just because I made the mistake.

I don't see why I should refund him the cash when I didn't do anything deceptive and was completely straight forward with everything in my ad.

4. seismic

seismic New Member

I'd at least ask him what sound card he has in his computer and confirm that it is an analog sound card. That way you can tell him that you stated he needed one that met a certain criteria, and that his doesn't.

5. Spaceering

Spaceering I bite.

I would not respond to the emails too many times. at most just send one email saying that you specified a digital card was required, and suggest maybe he should consider buying a digital card, or re-selling them

6. MichelleAnna

MichelleAnna let it be

It's his own loss. Let him resell them on Craigslist if they don't work.

7. GTP

GTP New Member

Never let people from craigslist come to your place.

But, in your current position I would take Spaceering's advice.

8. Did he buy them from your house or a public location?

9. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

I wouldn't even respond to those emails he paid in cash so he's not getting it back unless he knows where you live, never sell shit on CL and let them come to your house

10. Gyromite

Gyromite OT Supporter

He came to my house to pick them up.

I should have met him in a public location but nothing I can do about it now I guess.

11. wrwarwick

wrwarwick OT Supporter

Id probably take them back then. No real loss assuming u can resell for $50 still and you dont have some random guy that knows where u live mad at u.

12. mg

mg OT Supporter

:noes:

Just give it back and re-sell it.

13. But the real question:

Was he a pussy?

14. Gyromite

Gyromite OT Supporter

Yeah I guess it's not worth the drama for $50

LOL I could probably take him. I'm about 8 inches taller and 60 pounds heavier. :noes:

15. MichelleAnna

MichelleAnna let it be

Only a guy would take note of that.

16. Gyromite

Gyromite OT Supporter

True. If I were a woman I probably would have taken note that he was an anorexic bitch because he was skinnier than me and a whore because of what he was wearing, then I would have sat around for the next few days eating bon-bons and watching The View and complaining about my period. :coolugh:

17. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

I actually worry sometimes about being in a situation like this, because lots of people are mentally unstable and think they have something to "prove."

Let's go over the list:

1. The guy should research compatibility before he buys anything
    2. CL probably has terms (like eBay) stating implied conditions of sales and that refunds may be issued at the seller's discretion or not at all
    3. The guy sounds like a douche

So you didn't do anything wrong.

You can be fair and honest and still have some fuckup try to kick your ass. It's why I register all my domain names anonymously.

18. 17%

17% New Member

hm... if you're prepared to go the extra mile... fuck him.

if you're not, just let him return it... because he knows where you live.

ask him to give you like a few bucks or something. restocking fee

19. GRocks10

GRocks10 New Member

The way I see it is this.. if you were honest and let him know that he needed a special sound card to work the speakers than by all means DO NOT refund him and let him keep it. You cannot let others assume things, he has to ask questions and most of all you need to give an honest description. If all these things were met and he still didn't bother to ask about it then I suggest that is his loss and thats the end of it.

Its the same thing with you. You bought it, didn't realize it didn't work and now the seller screwed you over on eBay so whats so special now? What, he knows where you live? Big whoppty do, if he came to my house and started crap over $50 and didn't bother to understand that you had to have a special style sound card I would be ready to go smack down on his ass or by civil means let him know he can take this up the legal way and fight it in court.

Finally, its Craigslist, most people on there want something for nothing so my guess is you sold it to him for very cheap anyways...

20. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

This is why you should specify "no returns" in your listing.

Unless CL has an automatic "no refunds unless specified by the seller" clause. Then it's his fault for not being able to read.

21. chica&buddies

chica&buddies Active Member

:uh: because of this, i'd take them back.

please explain why you would allow someone to come to your house. :eek4: i just can't fathom that...

22. Gyromite

Gyromite OT Supporter

Well it's been over a week and he hasn't tried to contact me again so I'm guessing he's just going to keep them or sell them himself.

I don't know why I let him come to my house. I guess I was just excited to get rid of them and wanted to make it as easy as possible. But if I ever sell something in the future on CL I won't be doing that again.

23. JakobwithaK

JakobwithaK Titty fuck for the win!

Werd. Too bad so sad for him!

24. Gyromite

Gyromite OT Supporter

Dude showed up at my front door today unannounced and wanted to return the speakers for the money.

Told him I didn't have the money and if he wanted to return them, I might have done it 3 weeks ago on the day I sold them to him or maybe even the day after, but I wasn't going to now. I printed out the ad where I clearly stated "DIGITAL SOUNDCARED REQUIRED TO PLAY". He said "what so there's no goodwill?" I told him to get off my property. Clearly he's a fucking idiot.

25. Drifter87

Drifter87 Yippi-kay-ay, Motherfucker

Well played! If he comes back again just call the cops.