How should I go about installing multiple OSes?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Xoria, Jun 21, 2003.

1. Xoria

Xoria Keep the change, ya filthy animal.

i feel like reformatting my C drive, and i wanna try out linux because im bored and i figure why the hell not...

my C drive is 14 gigs, so i figure i can repartition it and make a drive for linux, but would it interfere with XP?

and also, how big should i make the partitions for each OS?

...any help is appreciated :o

i also need to know which version of linux or *nix i should get and where i can get it...or what're the differences between some of the bigger ones, i dont know much about the nixes :wavey:

2. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

3. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

5GB should be enough for a basic Linux install. Some of the more popular distros are RedHat, Mandrake, and SuSE. I would recommend SuSE 8.2. Great release!

To dual boot, just repartition your current Windows install with Partition Magic and create about a 5GB spot for Linux. Then run the Linux installer and put it on that empty new space. The main thing to do during this install is to not overwrite your MBR, if you do you won't be able to boot into Windows anymore. At the end of your install (end of RH at least) you'll get a chance to create a boot disk. Do this or you won't be able to boot into Linux. After the install is complete and you've got your Linux boot disk, you'll reboot the computer and go into Windows. Next you'll need to edit your boot.ini file on the C:/ (hidden of course) to add an entry to your Linux install (search Google for the proper syntax). The next time you reboot you'll have an option as to which partition you want to boot.

Others, if I screwed up on something above please let me know. It's been awhile since I've done that. :o

Edit: There is tons of info about this throughout the web, http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=dual+boot+windows+and+linux .

4. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

There are a bunch of HOWTO's and a Guide from the Linux Documentation Project on this topic too :)

5. Xoria

Xoria Keep the change, ya filthy animal.

:bowdown: i'll read all this in the morning and backup all my stuff so i can do it sunday, thanks for the help