How should I exercise if both my shoulders are injured?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by doboi, Jan 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doboi

doboi New Member

I was doing strictly Starting Strength, and I think it's the overhead presses that did it. I've always had clicking in my right shoulder and that began to hurt first, and now the pain is on the left as well. It's been hurting for a couple months now, I can't even bench 135lbs at this point, since going anywhere near full ROM hurts like crazy. I can't swing my arms in circles or throw anything either. Can't see a doctor because not currently working. It's not an intense pain unless I'm purposely trying to be physical and exert it. I'm just praying that taking it easy will help it recover, but it's been a while. Basically my upper body exercises are really limited and the only exercises I can do are squats and DL.

Any ideas on recovery and exercises?

2. Elfling

Elfling New Member

Do what you can that doesn't hurt. Are you not working because you're in school?

Look into something like Magnificent Mobility? I hate this link :rofl:

http://www.magnificentmobility.com/ but it's an excellent resource.

3. Arya Stark

Arya Stark Resident Celebrity OT Supporter

This sort of reminds me of "I broke both my legs, give me a new leg routine"

But seriously I had the same problem with my right shoulder. Didn't think too much of it but the pain was still happening after 2 months off so I went to see an orthro and xray only to find out it was "slightly" dislocated :rofl:

4. Elfling

Elfling New Member

That's my big problem with the "I can't see a doctor but I want to continue working out" thing. I understand- believe me- I have been without insurance before. But you're just going to hurt yourself far worse if you keep pushing it with an injury.

5. Bodhi

Bodhi My crotch is red .. my lambos blue .. and ill be g

lift until the pain goes away pussy

6. Aspirin

Aspirin OT Supporter

maybe light cable based rom stuff?

7. Elfling

Elfling New Member

If it hurts so much he can't swing his arms in circles, I'm thinking even this is out :o

8. doboi

doboi New Member

oh i probably miscommunicated, i'm not looking for shoulder exercises to do when my shoulders are in pain :rofl:

i just meant to ask what people have done to adjust their routine according to injuries. should i just pick up more cardio then? do people eat less since they're not exercising all the muscles? it really kills motivation when i can only basically do half my exercises.

9. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

Can you do rows?

10. doboi

doboi New Member

graduated a little over a year ago, worked for a year but quit and haven't found another job. sucks but not much to say about it

and that's a terrible looking link :rofl:. it looks like all the web-marketing landing pages

i know, i'm totally not doing anything with my shoulders right now. i think the worst i'm agitating it is with squats, since the grip stretches out the shoulder a bit. but other than that i'm not even thinking about lifting with muscles near them.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  11. doboi

doboi New Member

i haven't tried to do barbell rows recently, although surprisingly cable rows and pull-ups have been alright. the top of the motion causes a slight discomfort that i wouldn't really describe as pain though. it's like it's there, but it's not bothersome

12. Ceaze

I would do a ton of all types of rows. Hammer thoracic mobility every day(extension, rotation, extension with rotation and lateral flexion). If you can afford it, get soft tissue work performed, and if not, roll the shit out of your upper back with a tennis or lacrosse ball. Instead of doing back squats, do front squats, trap bar deadlifts, and split squats with dumbbells. To return to pressing start with isometric pushup holds, and increase the range of motion while staying within a pain-free ROM. Also work hip mobility as this is often found to be decreased in people with symptomatic shoulders.

13. doboi

doboi New Member

thanks man, there's a lot of stuff there i wouldn't have thought of. i'd rep the shit out of you if we had a rep system :bigthumb:

when you're talking about hammer thoracic mobility, do you mean stuff like in these links?
    http://stronglifts.com/how-to-improve-your-thoracic-mobility/
    http://www.floota.com/ThoracicStretch.html

14. Ceaze

15. doboi

doboi New Member

oh one more thing: once my shoulders get better, as far as presses go, would dumbells instead of barbells be generally safer? or would presses kinda be out of the picture

16. Ceaze

Dumbbells are less stressful than barbells because the barbell forces your arms into internal rotation. In order from least to most stressful:

Body Weight Push-up > Weighted Push-up > Neutral Grip DB Floor Press > Neutral Grip Decline DB Press > Pronated Grip Decline DB Press > Barbell Floor Press > Decline Barbell Press > Flat DB Press > Incline DB Press > Barbell Bench Press > Barbell Incline Press > DB Military Press > Barbell Military Press/Push Press > Behind the Neck Presses

You can also use boards to eliminate the lower portion of the ROM with barbell pressing.

17. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

Thanks Ceaze.:cool:

18. fatmoocow

fatmoocow bored OT Supporter

I start training with those guys next week. I highly recommend their stuff.

I'd give you a 90% likelihood that you have the same problem most people have which is shoulders pushed forward/impinged from being hunched over and doing to much pushing and not enough pulling. As a result you injure yourself doing any lifting at the edge of your range of motion (military press, incline bench, etc.)

Go to a do doc and tell them you're paying cash, they'll usually cut you a huge deal and tell you if your fucked or not. If you're a student their's almost always a free health center on any legit campus.

After taking some time off, assuming I'm right about your problem, you'll want to be doing lots of back work and zero chest work. So face pulls, bent over rows, close grip pull down, etc. 3 days a week plus perhaps some active recovery and leg work on off days. Foam roll your shit, do some proper warm up etc.

This is what I'm doing, at least until told otherwise, because both my shoulders and hips are fubared from general poor structure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.