How should I change my HIIT routine?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Silmatharien, Feb 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Silmatharien

Silmatharien OT Supporter

I've been doing HIIT 3 times/week on the bike on top of doing a 5/3/1 routine four times/week. Right now I'm doing 12 minutes of HIIT alternating 30 seconds rest with 30 seconds sprint and I've been increasing this total time by a minute each week with my goal to be 15 minutes at a go (which I'll reach in a couple more weeks).

I guess what I want to know is how should I go about changing my HIIT routine up instead of just continually increasing the time. Shorter rest periods maybe? My overall goal is to lose fat slowly.

2. Oleh

Oleh New Member

longer sprints / shorter rest or switch to a treadmill/eliptical/stepclimber...if you run on the treadmill, you can also increase your incline, to make it harder.

i would add more variety (ie. swimming/treadmill,etc) instead of increasing time... although i think 12min is pretty short.

3. Silmatharien

well I have a hurt ankle right now so any running-type exercises are out. I'm basically stuck with the bike right now. thanks for the input on that though.

4. SugarCoatedSour

SugarCoatedSour Active Member

Similar question

I'm also doing HIIT on the elliptical on a 5/3/1 program, and I'm wondering if it's more productive to keep doing HIIT after lifting, or if I should switch up to LISS instead?

5. LT Smash

LT Smash Give'm the kick

I've been looking for a HIIT routine for a stationary bike, how beneficial has yours been?

6. Silmatharien

well I haven't been doing it that long so it's hard to say. I like doing it more on manual stationary bikes than electric ones. I feel like it's gotten a lot easier since I've started and I think I've noticed a bit of fat loss.

I do my 5/3/1 routine on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday and I do HIIT on Monday Wednesday and Saturday.

7. Shroomy

Shroomy OT Supporter

Yeah, I'm looking to try HIIT with something other than running. Shit gets old fast.

8. Spur

Spur Boomer

studies have shown you'll burn more fat doing cardio after weights

9. SugarCoatedSour

That's what I do, but would it be better for it to be HIIT or low intensity stuff for just a long period?

10. subwoofer

subwoofer OT Supporter

I wouldn't do HIIT after lifting. That shit would be in tents

11. Oleh

Oleh New Member

what are your goals ? mass gain or fat loss ?

mass gain, i would definetly do it first thing in the morning on a empty stomach. I personally feel doing HIIT after lifting is counterproductive for mass gain.
    ive had great success with LISS, and diet... but it really depends on the individual, what works for me , probably wont work for you. How long have you be doing HIIT after lifting ?

12. Oleh

Oleh New Member

have you considered doing cardio 2x day ? maybe a moderate pace in the morning and HIIT later ? or switch between the two until your ankle heals ? studies show that cardio 2x is a great way to keep your metabolism high.

13. Spur

Spur Boomer

I do HIIT because I don't like to waste 45-60 minutes. IMO, if you do it right, HIIT is so much more efficient.

14. Silmatharien

I'm not really interested in doing it twice a day. I would burn out doing that. As it is I'm usually tired a lot from my routine. I was just looking to make sure I'm getting the most out of my HIIT and was looking for where to go next to keep it effective. I don't want to spend a lot of time doing cardio which is why I opted for it.

Plus I'm already losing weight with my current routine which I don't really want to do. Gotta start eating more.

15. filho do deus

filho do deus New Member

but then thats even more time inbetween big lifts like squats/deads and the brotein at home

16. knight42

knight42 OT Supporter

dont over think it, just fuckin run, run hard.. time yourself and do better next time

17. SugarCoatedSour

Just leaning up right now, but the only time I have for cardio is right after lifting.

Been doing HIIT after lifting sessions for the past 6-8 months without really going past the 10-minute mark :o I pretty much just alternate 30sec moderate pace 30sec 90% effort for a span of 10 minutes, then cool down for about a minute.

For the most part, I'm an ecto that was 130lbs @ 5'9" 4 years ago, got up to 170 at my 2-year mark, now down to about 160 on a loose diet (kinda clean, but I cheat a lot on Friday/Sat)

18. SugarCoatedSour

That's the main reason why I was doing HIIT, but if it's just gonna eat up more muscle tissue comparatively, I'm open to dedicating more time afterwards for LISS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.