A&P How safe is paypal?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by bobasaur, Apr 1, 2010.

1. bobasaur

bobasaur New Member

How safe is paypal if your a seller? Haven't used it as a payment option because I have been selling through craigslist and dealing locally. But seems like people are moving their gear faster and at better prices via potn and fredmiranda. Any info or past experience would be great. Thanks

2. alexromo

alexromo New Member

Ive used paypal for like the past 4 or 5 years. never a problem except recently they "hold" the funds for a few days making sure the item gets sent out

3. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

isn't that just for ebay?

paypal is ok. they recently added the "gift" option which doesn't take fees. not sure how much you can get away with using that.

4. tetsuo

tetsuo And shepherds we shall be...

it doesn't charge the person receiving the money any fees, but if you don't have an existing balance in your pp account, it will charge the person sending it a fee i believe.

5. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

oh? i sent $25 to a person as a gift. i had $0 PP balance. no extra fees on my CC though.

6. essejgnad

essejgnad poopty pangts

There are no fees involved in a gift option as long as it's sent via balance or from your bank. If paid with a cc there will be a fee.

I've been using the gift option for a little while now and maybe had around $5000 worth of transactions with no issues yet. I only accept gift options from people with feedback though cause gift options don't include a shipping address.

7. BBB

BBB OT Supporter

paypal and ebay are evil

They always side with the buyer and never with the seller. I've sworn to never use either service ever again.

8. bobasaur

bobasaur New Member

This is what I am afraid of if the buyer is shady! :noes: What was the outcome of your transaction Zuko?

9. BBB

BBB OT Supporter

I sold a a console gaming system around Cristmas time with overnight shipping. Buyer paid for it and as soon as I shipped it and gave them tracking they filed a paypal claim and essentially paypal holds the funds to the side until it was disputed. Their address even though they have been on paypal for years was unconfirmed and the rules are that if you ship to unconfirmed there is no guarantee that you'll win the battle. So I called UPS hub and had them stop the driver from delivering and ate $50 in shipping.

Something similar happened to my friend and I said fuck it. Closed my account and never looked back. This was a couple of years ago and with the recent addition of craigs list, there is really no need to use ebay.

The fees and hassle plus potential fraud that comes with it, doesn't make it worth it.

10. Pepsi1975

Pepsi1975 Mod of the Year

I refuse to ever use paypal again, I was told on the phone by a paypal manager that their service is for ebay and they don't want you using for anything else, especiually if you can't prove you shipped an item, like web design and shit like that

11. Run N. Gun

Run N. Gun Active Member

PayPal is owned by eBay. Yes, PayPal is as safe as any credit card company and is held to the same level of legal compliance. In fact, they have more customers than all the Visa, MC, Discover and AMEX customers added together. Due to the lack of paypal "card" that you can physically swipe, they require a little more information and verification from their customers.

12. bbp

bbp bike watching troll king OT Supporter

What did they file a claim over? I don't think paypal lets you even file a claim until at least a week after the auction ends.

13. Keegan

Keegan New Member

So purchasing via PayPal gift is fine, the worry is more about the buyer?

14. Professor Chaos

Professor Chaos New Member

I've used paypal for about 5 years and never had a bad experience :dunno:

15. Pepsi1975

physical items?

it gets harder to prove shit is shipped when you have things like websites and what not being purchased using paypal

16. Professor Chaos

I've only ever purchased items with paypal so I couldn't comment on that.

But as for the site being "safe" I would say there aren't any security problems provided you don't have some nasty trojan running on your computer :dunno:

As far as covering your ass when you're the seller you can always opt to pay extra for tracking and/or insurance in the event that something happens to the item or if the buyer wants proof that you shipped it.

17. Pepsi1975

and this is my point, most people in here and the webmaster lounge use it as a way to get paid for jobs, which there is no shipping, no tracking, nothing to protect you with it

it is made for ebay and physically shipping items, but so many people use it for other things to, and that is where it is not safe to use it

18. Professor Chaos

What about using a credit card to pay for services and then refuting the charge with your bank if the seller doesn't give up the goods? :dunno:

If all communications are done through email then copies of the emails can be considered evidence if you need to provide proof that an agreement was made and broken.

19. Pepsi1975

I am talking about accepting payment for services, not paying for them

not with paypal, they want proof it was shipped, from usps or ups

I had an account frozen with 500 or so dollars in it, and it was a payment for doing some web work, the one that sent me money lied to paypal and opened a dispute, and paypal required all forms of id and proof from me including proof they recieved it, delivery confirmation

I explained it to them, talked to numerous managers and what not and got no where, they will not accept emails as proof, because they are easy to fake

account is still locked to this day and I never got my money

that is when one of the higher up managers told me that paypal was not made for that type of business