How reliable are 97-00 Explorers?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by dirtybird43, Oct 26, 2003.

1. dirtybird43

dirtybird43 Guest

I'm considering buying one, and just wanted to check to see what everyone thought.

2. denim

denim New Member

I have a 97 Merc Mountaineer, same truck with different options and badges, has been perfect, except a dash lights

3. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

I'll post what I've posted before.

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica]Get something newer then a 98. I had a 98 Sport and had nothing but problems after 40k miles.

Bought the truck at 29k miles.
    Passenger power window at 32k miles. Covered by warranty.
    Driver window at 39k miles.
    Passenger window again at 48k miles.
    2nd gear problem at 50k miles. (Was 5spd)
    Defroster at 57k miles.
    Intake manifold problem at 65k miles.
    Problem with 2nd gear again at 69k miles.
    Had to do complete tune-up at 70k miles.
    Rear diff leak (pretty bad) at 72k Right before the accident.

Wrecked it at 72k miles. Nearly totalled it. 5500+ worth of repairs. Insurance didn't want to total it. [​IMG] After that, it was REALLY downhill. Front end needed to be replaced at 80k miles, and that's when I filed bankruptcy and let the bank take it back.

Granted not all Explorers have these same problems.. there is always that one out of 10 that will have the lemon. Just do your homework. There are tons of problematic years with the Explorers. This Explorer was my third Ford. Never buying Ford again.
    [/font]

4. SycoPhant

SycoPhant Get out my way

If you want info on them, hit up my site, www.fordexplorer.net

As far as the post above me goes, I'd disregard everything that went wrong after the wreck because it doesn't matter if you're driving a Benz or a Yugo, vehicles aren't the same after an accident. That being said, I've not heard of any of the problems that guy had being regular problems. In fact, the Explorer's achilles heel is the transmission, which from 97+ wasn't so much of an issue because they switched to the 5 spd auto instead of the 4 spd. The 4spd is known to nuke just after 100k, but comparitively to other transmissions I've seen prices on they're not bad, but as you said you're looking at 97+ anyways so the point is moot. Let me know if you have any other questions, and now I will whore my site again by posting my sig.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2003