How reliable are 89-92 fox mustangs with 80-100K miles?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Chi_Town_GoD, Mar 9, 2004.

1. Chi_Town_GoD

Chi_Town_GoD Guest

that also wouldnt be a bad candidate for a summer cruiser.. mods are cheap as fuck too.. and you can usually pick up a convertible for about $4000 in good condition with a 302.. :dunno:

2. Melvin_91GT

Melvin_91GT New Member

Quite good, actually. I know of many people (including my brother) who have 220k+ on the cars without issue and still take them to the track on the weekend.

There are a few things to look for (torque boxes, etc.) but other than that they're a pretty cheap and reliable car for as cheap as they are.

3. Evil_Jeanyus

Evil_Jeanyus That's it Ellen, cup the balls.

11ty billion times less gay then a VW cabrio

4. Pursuit

Pursuit Guest

5. Josepi

Josepi HA HA, I CHANGED MY AV

:vanillaice:

6. Turd Furgeson

Turd Furgeson New Member

The 302 motors were one of the best build motors Ford ever designed. I had 6 fox body Mustangs. One had 195k without the valve covers ever being off. They respond incredibly well to mods, anjd are cheap as hell to make fast.

7. Girth

Girth ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ OT Supporter

I have a 92 w/ about 155k on it. 90% stock, and it runs perfect. Had it for a year... and I've had 1 problem w/ it (clutch got replaced). Selling it in a few months to get something else. :big grin:

8. M_E_A_T_B_A_L_L

M_E_A_T_B_A_L_L I live in an igloo

You should be fine with a fox-body in with that miledge.

Things to consider :

1. SUB-FRAME CONNECTORS!!! especially if you're buying a 'vert.

2. Check the torque boxes of the car. This is generally a sign if they car has been abused during its life.

3. A car with with that miledge probably needs its oxygen sensors replaced (which will increase your mpg :bigthumb: )

9. Chi_Town_GoD

Chi_Town_GoD Guest

now if you wanted to make it a bit more fun to drive (think weekend/fair weather car) what would you do with it? Lets say what would be the most bang for the buck in terms of performance for about $1000 + NAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWS ($1000 for boltons)

10. M_E_A_T_B_A_L_L

If I had $1000 for bolt-ons I'd do

1. Sub-frame connectors
    2. GEARS (3.73 for stick, 4.10 for auto)
    3. Tires/Drag radials (gotta hook up with the new gears)
    4. K&N
    5. Pulleys

Give or take a few dollars pending on where you shopped/what brands you purchased

11. Cue-Ball

Cue-Ball I hate you, Milkman Dan

I agree with everyone here. The fox body Mustangs are great. They're very reliable if you take care of them and they're easy to fix if anything does break. I own two of them myself (My '92 LX is for sale, BTW). Just make sure that all the "consumable" items are taken care of and you're good. Check out the serpentine belt, all the hoses, the brake lines, etc. You'll probably want to flush the brake fluid and replace it. If the hoses are original, you'll want to replace them too. These are both cheap to do and will make the car more reliable.

There are a few "bad" things about the fox body Mustangs. Firstly, the charging systems suck. Upgrade to a 3G alternator and you're good (~$200 and two hours of your time). Also, the heater cores are known to go out (this is true for a lot of cars of this era). If it does, it's a BITCH to fix, but the parts are cheap ($35 for a new core). Torque boxes won't really be a problem unless the car has been drag raced a LOT or launched with slicks.

12. Melvin_91GT

Melvin_91GT New Member

Dollar-for-dollar, the best mods for the car are:

- Gears (3.55 or higher -- Usually 3.73)
    - Short throw shifter (Steeda Tri-Ax or Pro 5.0)
    - Subframe connectors

13. Girth

I'll sell you my '92 GT for $5000, and you'll get the 3.73s (not installed) free... not to mention the 2 boxes full of stuff that the previous owner gave me that I have never gone through. All parts/extra parts for the car. Car already has headers, H-Pipe, and 2 chamber flowmasters. Also has pullies installed and has been lowered w/ eibach sportlines and KYB/strust shocks. :big grin:

ALSO... the previous owner put a '94-'95 alternator, 180 degree thermostat, new A/C compressor in it before I bought it. Ran a carfax on it too... I'm the second owner, no accidents, nothing on carfax. :big grin:

Last edited: Mar 9, 2004
  14. M_E_A_T_B_A_L_L

I dread the day that the heater core goes on either of my fox-bodies. Somehow tearing apart the whole dash to get at it isn't very appealing. :hs:

15. rhino

rhino New Member

i have a buddy that has a 90 drop top with 50,000 miles on it right now. he has owned it for 3 years and only put 10,000 miles on it and just keeps it in the garage. I would like to buy it off him and drive it since he is selling it.

16. jeeps4u

jeeps4u OT's Master Tech

the heater core on mine went, i just disconnected the hoses

no heat, but not a big problem since i dont drive it in the winter

17. Cue-Ball

Cue-Ball I hate you, Milkman Dan

My '90 LX needs the heater core replaced. I'm NOT looking forward to doing that this spring. :(

18. nosaj

nosaj OT Supporter

there great cars, the motors are very dependable. A car with an automatic trans expect trouble at 60 thousand miles or so. Common problems are rear main leaks and leaky lower intakes.

19. MAD PUNK inDC

MAD PUNK inDC Sic Semper Tyrannis

good engine, bad electronics, so so body. If you keep up on the maintenance, the engine, trans, and body will last you over 200k miles. It's the electronics that tend to go. Modules, alternators, and sensors are all things to look out for on those EFI 302 fords. Another thing is the water pump. If it goes, it's a bitch and a half to replace, since just about every belt driven acessory is bolted to the damn thing. For the money, they are great cars, and thats comming from somebody who doesn't like Ford.

20. BLoG

BLoG Scented Meat

the best thing is that spare parts are more available than <insert OT OP whore of the day here>

21. TigerWoodsJr

TigerWoodsJr LSX Elitist Prick

kinda a newbie question, but what's a torque box? (I just know stuff about imports :hsd:)

22. Girth

its like a black box... records how much torque your car transfers to the ground. S2000s need not apply. :mamoru:

23. Nyce

Nyce .

there is a yellow 2001 Stang GT Convertable for sale in Brooklyn, NYC.. you can come down and take it home for like 6-7k.. it has like 30-40k miles but it was in an accident before.. there is evidence of paint work, the air bags are also deployed.. but the title is clean..
    plus you might score some sex0r with the russian chick that owns it :naughty: my friend was looking at the car yesturday.. the body work was pretty shitty on it but most people may not even notice. :hs:

if i were you, look for anything hot that holds it's value.. look for a great deal, buy it and resell it in a few months.. you may make enough $ back to cover everything you spent on it.. taxes etc.. look for deals :hs:

24. txgti

txgti OT Supporter

25. Girth

Nice car. :cool: