How often should a person polish their car?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by dirteemac, Aug 20, 2007.

1. dirteemac

dirteemac hey, how are you?

Once a year? Twice? More?

2. dirteemac

I'm just wondering if it's worth it to spend hundred$ on a buffing machine and compunds and polishes when all I'm going to be doing is just my car, and who knows how often, or pay a professional to do it even though I'm interested in learning how and doing it myself. I'm also worried about messing up my paint. Somebody suggested I go get a door or something from a junkyeard to practice on which I think is a great idea but the problem is I'm an apartment dweller and have no place to put it.

3. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

As often as you need to maintain the finish at the level you want. It depends so much on what level you want to keep your paint at, plus how you wash your car, enviromental issues, fat women who rub against your car trying to walk between it and another, stuff like that. There is no pat answer for everyone.

4. dirteemac

I got some pretty bad swirls that were on the car when I bought it. Just wondering how long the paint would stay swirl-free after I got it taken care of and kept it washed and waxed.

5. SoySauciAl

SoySauciAl Guest

As often as you need to maintain the finish at the level you want. It depends so much on what level you want to keep your paint at, plus how you wash your car, enviromental issues, fat women who rub against your car trying to walk between it and another, stuff like that. There is no pat answer for everyone.- scott

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2007
  6. SoySauciAl

SoySauciAl Guest

wuow! how did you edit my dookie?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2007
  7. dirteemac

Don't you wear down the clear coat a little each time you polish? How many polishes can a clearcoat handle?

8. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

You are asking questions that there are no hard and fast answers to. It depends. It depends on how hard or soft the clear it and how thick it is. It depends on how deeply you polish it; whether you are compounding it or just using a finishing glaze.

As long as you aren't going hard into your paint each time, you are removing very minute amounts of clear.

9. tehshocker

tehshocker New Member

Damn, I've never polished my cars......time to do it this weekend.

10. ri0t41

ri0t41 Pants off Dance off

As others have stated it really depends on a variety of factors.

I live in New England and try to do a full "detail" a few times a year, the most important to me being the last extensive one before the snow, ice, sand and salt that the winter brings.