How often do you talk to your SO during the day?

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by Elphaba, Mar 26, 2008.

1. Elphaba

Elphaba New Member

The question is pretty much just how it sounds in the thread title, but I have a few follow-ups too.

Basically: How often (how frequently) do you talk on the phone to your SO during the day (normal working hours I guess)? All please include how long you've been with your SO (if you're married, in a LTR, etc) and if you live with them or not.

If you DO talk to your SO during the day.....
    Are both of you at work? Just one person?
    Do you both talk on your cell phones, or is one or both on a 'work phone'?
    How often do you talk?
    What do you talk about?
    Who usually calls who?

If you DONT talk to your SO during the day (or do so very infrequently).....
    Under what circumstances would you call them?
    Why dont you talk to them during the day?

Any other thoughts on this are welcome as well, or if you're not currently in a relationship, hypothetical answers are cool too. I'll give my reasoning for asking once I have a few responses.

2. Gillzeebub

Gillzeebub New Member

Neither of us work atm and he's in a diff state getting sorted with a job house etc for me to move with the kids, i talk to him on and off all day on the net, we talk about everything. If i phone him its coz i need something there and then and he's not online i use my home phone and call his mobile. It's always me who calls him if theres calling involved but with the net its 50/50. Think that answers everything

3. Sephiroth13

Sephiroth13 Beginning of the End

I'm a Software engineer and my SO is a Pharmacist. We dont' talk on the phoen all that much if we are both at work, but we text each other back and forth if something has come up and we need to talk about it. After work we are usually with one another even tho I live about 30 minutes away from her, but I work like really close to where she lives. So I make dinner when she gets off from work and we talk and talk and talk. When I'm not staying we call each other when she off of work and talk and talk and talk. I would have to say that we talk to each other all the time. #Every day I talk to her, if not see her, if not text her.

As its been said in many different threads, Communication is the key of a healthy relationship. We talk to each about everything, any problems that we are having with each other to things we like about each other. We are very open people to one another and our relationship is doing very well.

Edit: Elphaba, this has been bothering me a bit about your AV, but you know that you don't have Elphaba in your av, its Glenda the good witch. Sorry I had gone to see wicked and ever since then your name and picture has never added up to me.

4. chlywly

chlywly Active Member

I've been with my girlfriend for around 9 months... We usually speak at least once a day, usually at night around 9 or 10 pm for 30m to an hour. Sometimes we're busy or tired and don't speak till the following day.

Who calls who? We both call each other pretty much equally.
    Speak on cell phones yes... Sometimes we speak during lunch at work, but that's rare and usually if something super interesting came up or we won't get to talk later on in the evening.

We talk about many things.... work, politics, society, random banter, history, things we both saw or thought were interesting to share etc etc.

I'm very satisfied with this arrangement, provides us enough space for ourselves and allows us to also speak quality vs quantity when we do.

In previous relationships I've spoken much more with women ( they called me a lot ) and well there was often a lack of things to say, I was tired, it got annoying.

5. AutoEuphoria

AutoEuphoria New Member

Been with my gf for 5 and a half years. We don't talk during the day...unless she needs me to pick something up on my way home from work or something.

6. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

Lets see, we've been together around 21 months. We don't talk on the phone every day during work hours because the two of us might be busy. He will however sometimes send some texts about who knows what. "Hope you're having a good day" to "did you hear about the Sirius/XM merger?" :mamoru:

If it's a phone call it's 99% him who calls. I never want to bother him in case he's busy but I think it's cute that he'll call me to say hello, see how my day is going or tell me about something interesting that happened.

However, he does call me on the dot every day once he gets off. He gets off around 4 to tell me how his day went and to tell me his plans (going to the gym, going to shower, eat, etc.) and since I don't get off work until 7 I will then call him on my way home. We will usually plan whether he is coming over :mb: If he does come over or I go over we don't talk on the phone anymore than that. If neither of us go to each other's place then he'll call me once more before going to bed.

So, on average if one of us spends the night we talk on the phone 3 times a day. If one of us spends the night-2. As I types this he texts me :mamoru:

7. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

We usually text throughout the day but don't talk on the phone very often.

8. Jacy

Jacy red lipstick brigade

We've been together for almost 3 months, and we talk to each other 5 times a week. We're currently long distance, so we have video conferences on skype for around 1-4 hours a day when we can find time between my school schedule, his work schedule, and the 8 hour time difference. We make plans the day before to call each other at certain times. We also textmessage each other, but generally that's when we can't get ahold of each other via the phone or internet

We talk about politics, culture, human behavior, history, graduate school, work, family, germany/america, the german/english language, each other, our history, our future plans, our feelings, our daily lives, etc.

9. Elphaba

Elphaba New Member

I know its Glinda and not Elphaba, and I knew that when I chose it.
    1)Someone else (I dont know who) already had a pic of Elphaba as her av at the time I was trying to find one for my av 2) finding good pics/illustrations (that are av-able) of Elphaba thats NOT one of the actresses from the shows (I prefer the books) is rough and 2) I like this pic of Glinda anyway and its related to the book in a way so I've stuck with it.

10. fixthe fernback

fixthe fernback New Member

calling it a video conference makes it sound so formal :mamoru:

My gf and I of 6 weeks sometimes talk via AIM when we're not together. It's not often during the day since we have classes and such. We only really call each other when we're making plans or she is coming over.

11. Sephiroth13

Sephiroth13 Beginning of the End

LOL okay I just didn't know if you knew... :wavey:
    :wiggle:

12. yankeeschick14

yankeeschick14 New Member

We've been together 5 years, we talk on the phone once a day after 9 pm (started years ago when he went away to college, and we had free nights and weekends). Usually the calls last about 5-10 minutes, but frequently we'll say that we're too busy and just talk tomorrow. I think I've called him at work like...three times total, ever, and they were emergencies. I just dont want to disturb him, and its not necessary because we'll just talk later. We do text throughout the day though about anything and everything. Text messaging has kept our relationship alive.

If we actually saw each other that day, we usually wont talk on the phone that night.

13. lauren

lauren Active Member

IM in the morning
    visit in the afternoon
    txt during work
    usually get dinner together or he'll visit me
    IM at night

we don't use the phone, really. sometimes if i'm too busy to txt or if i'm driving, i'll call him to confirm plans to see each other. always with the cell phone.

14. nezfotnemom

nezfotnemom OT Supporter

I am currently single. I send myself messages on AIM every so often. Sometimes Ill call myself from the work phone and chat for a few. If im going to workout later in the day, ill set myself up a calender alert on my phone with a nice message like "hey baby im going to workout, ill ttyl".

:noes:

15. stormywaters

stormywaters Tornadoes are just wind...

We see each other every day because we go to the same college and he lives in the same dorm building. Last year we had to do long distance and we spoke on the phone every night without fail for at least 2 hours. We talk on cell phones because of free night/weekend min. We talk about anything and everything.

Been together a year and a half if you care.

16. braaap

braaap listen here, twinkletoes...

I think we talk / hang out way too much. On average, 10-20 times a day :o
    For the most part, she calls me because I usually don't want to talk to her.
    We've been together for about 3 years with a Summer off, btw.

17. Kreigore

Kreigore New Member

Been with her for over 6+ months.

We may send a text to one another saying "have a good day, etc." during a normal work day. After work, I may call her (or she'll call me) as to what time we'll get together later that night. I usually don't talk to her that much on the phone. Usually only to setup plans for the evening or whatever.

I will occasionally jump on AIM to talk to her during the work day if time permits.

There's really no "set discussion" - it'll usually be about work or school/student teaching for her. I prefer to talk/relax in person.

18. braaap

braaap listen here, twinkletoes...

Yea, I just started a thread in the Asylum if you wanted to know the story :o

19. althepirate

althepirate Talk nerdy to me.

We've been dating a little over two years. We live and work together [for now, we're both leaving our jobs for other ones at separate places]. Because we both work at the same place, we sit at opposite sides of the floor.

We talk all day over the work-chat-IM system they have set up but it's usually us talking sporadically or sending each other funny links we found on the internet. We'll go hours without responding if it's not important.

On our days off, we either spend the day separately with our friends and together at night, or vice versa.

Before we moved in together, we called each other about twice a day and saw each other almost every night. It's 50/50 on who calls/texts/IM's the other both then and now.

20. Elphaba

Elphaba New Member

Thanks for everyone for all the responses. I'll answer the questions myself, then let yall know why the hell I was asking this.

My bf and I have been together a little over 1.5yrs and we live together. We very very rarely talk on the phone during the day but always on our cell phones, never 'work phones'. We both work. Sometimes we text or email if we need to let the other person know "I'll be late" or "Look at this awesome lolcat" but nothing more really.

Why I was asking this: Recently, the bf and I have been talking about some of our co-workers, family, etc. who seem to talk to their SO (usually spouse or live-in SO) A LOT during the day. Its both 'work phone' and cell phone, but they'll talk to their SO like 3+ times a day. The thing is, from what we can gather, not a whole lot of this talk is very 'substantive'. Most of the time its "How are you?" or "Whats for dinner" or even stuff that we both think can wait till after work.

Case #1 in point: A guy that works for the bf talks to his (stay at home) wife all the damn time. While also a 'managerial' issue for the bf, we're both boggled by the things they'll talk about. The other day, the wife called this guy b/c she needed a plumber. No, there was no water on the floor or spilling everywhere, I think they just had a clogged drain or something. She wanted to talk to him about who to call, what to do about it and they probably talked for 15-20min about where to look for a good plumber.

Case #2 in point: The other day my boss called his wife from his office at work (but on his cell) to "see how she was doing" (I know, I can hear him talk from my office). I know she works full time, so I assume she was at work too. They babbled on a bit about how his day was going, what he was doing, what they were going to do about the new deck he's building, etc. They talked for about 10-15min.

Both the bf and I think this is rediculous. Not from a "communication importance in relationships" or even (though partly) a "work ethic" issue but just like, damn, cant this shit wait till you get home? Why do you need to talk to them all the damn time. In Case#1, why the hell cant she pick a plumber by herself? Is this really an issue she needs help with?? In Case#2, whats the point? They saw each other last night, this morning, and are going to see eachother in the afternoon - I'm sure "how I'm doing" cant change that much in 4hrs (and if it did in some major way - THEN call)!

So are we just being rediculous about this and its actually standard procedure for lots of people, or is this kind of behavior just weird? I see this in many other cases/couples, but I dunno....

Thoughts?

21. yankeeschick14

yankeeschick14 New Member

I dont think youre being crazy at all. I think its completely inappropriate for those people to be making extended phone calls of little necessity while on the job. Additionally, theyll be seeing them in a few hours anyway, and all of those things could wait. Emergency circumstances I understand, but calling to shoot the breeze is just not okay in my mind.

22. nezfotnemom

nezfotnemom OT Supporter

Sometimes it's nice just to hear your SOs voice. Especially if they have been together a long long time. They just shoot the shit to kill time etc. I think its a subliminal "I Love You" when you just randomly talk like that.