MMA How often do you lift.

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Bausk, Aug 10, 2006.

1. Bausk

Bausk New Member

I keep finding myself in the weight room less and less, because I want to train my technique more and more. Right now I am lifting 2 days a week, Tuesday and Friday. But I really feel my BJJ game is suffering by not going to BJJ on Tuesday, one of 2 days the class is offered. If I go to BJJ I will be down to lifting 1 day a week, on Friday.

How important would lifting be to my development and overall game. At this point in my life I am really looking at getting myself healthy, and maybe down the road looking to compete in MMA. I just can't decide what split would be best for my development of overall strength, technique, as well as overall physique... I need to lose weight.

If I decide to lift only on friday, I would be doing a full body workout. Bench, Squat, Deadlift, and then some other excercises focusing on biceps or back work, etc. My diet has been in check more-so than ever so I'm slowly losing weight and getting into better condition, but I also used my gym for cardio so less days at the gym means less running or eliptical work.

Maybe I should just wake up in the mornings for cardio? That would suck but I think I could... I would end up with only about 6 hours of sleep a night. Maybe 8 if I go to bed early. I have alot on my plate, haha.

2. AK-47

AK-47 Banned

1 day a week is better than nothing but 3 would be optimal, maybe if you had some weights at home you'd find more time to actually lift? A bench, power rack, and some weights can be found cheap locally.

3. Bausk

Bausk New Member

I have a contract at a gym less than 5 minutes from my house. Motivation isn't a problem to get the the gym, I just am finding the correct balance so I don't overtrain.

4. AK-47

AK-47 Banned

Sounds like your priority is getting healthier, imo mma classes are more then enough cardio without adding in running etc.. and as for lifting, 1 day a week is enough until you can devote more time to it. That way once you decide to add in more days you'll be in good shape. And if your diet is in check, you're gonna get leaner and healthier :bigthumb:

5. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

yeah I don't see the great need for extra cardio with MMA and BJJ classes already in the mix.

I lift twice a week.

my schedule looks like:
    m: 12-2 bjj, 8-10 ptsd
    t: 12-1 lift, 8-9 ptsd
    w: 12-2 bjj, 8-10 ptsd
    th: 12-1 lift
    f: 12-2 bjj, 6:30-8 ptsd
    s: 2:30-3:30 ptsd grappling
    sun: off

6. Snip

Snip Guest

Two to Three times a week.:)

7. Kuet

Kuet New Member

:werd:

8. Placebo

Placebo New Member

4 or 5

9. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

My priority is to train bjj so if time really contrains me and I have to sacrifice bjj or lifting, it will be lifting. But almost always I lift around 5 days a week.

10. Bausk

Bausk New Member

Got up at 5am this morning and lifted before work. I ended up getting up early somehow, but I think my schedule will work out to lifting around 6am 3 days a week, cardio about the same time 2 days a week, then all my normal MMA training in the evening.

Hopefully I don't overtrain and see some good improvement in lifts and my game faster with this much work. I know I am pushing it but I want to get to my goals faster and push the limit.

11. padrino2k

padrino2k New Member

I don't spend any time with weights, but I alternate sets of pullups or dips in the morning 4 days a week (2 for each), and I do stand-up another 4 days a week. Sometimes they overlap, but I usually get a day or two (depending on how I feel) where I do nothing. For the most part, I don't practice ground.

Overall, my punching power has increased significantly, and I've leaned out/toned up a bit but haven't gained/lost any weight.