SRS how often do ppl consider genetics when selecting a mate?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Soace Munky, Aug 17, 2007.

1. Soace Munky

Soace Munky New Member

next time go to a singles night, i'm seriously considering bringing a case of testubes and cheek swabs...

on a more serious note, how do you plan for something like that? is it neccesary to pay attention to more than physical attraction to a member of the opposite sex, when thinking about the next generation? how do you prepare to bring a child into this world, when the child is years away? is that even possible?

2. BradUF

BradUF Guest

I consider health problems that can be passed along.

3. Soace Munky

Soace Munky New Member

yeah, genetic predesposition to cancer, heart disease, etc...
    what about propensity of two really smart people having higher chances of offspring with autism?

4. verdiocchi

verdiocchi Oh snap!

I hadn't really considered this until I dated a guy that was bipolar. There are pretty good chances that he can pass it along to his children and that was something I really had to consider when getting serious with him. That relationship didn't work out, and part of me is glad that I don't have that issue to worry about right now. Don't get me wrong, I cared about him and accepted him for who he was, but it was scary to think that if I married/had kids with him, I would knowingly be passing that on to children.

5. Soace Munky

Soace Munky New Member

maybe there is a service that screens genetics that can help out in this area?
    i'm sure this has been concidered since before hitler...

6. Takitome

Takitome New Member

When it comes to diseases or conditions I dont care unless its something that will ruin the quality of life.

But personality traits and things like that would matter I think.

7. daaarn

daaarn New Member

genetics isn't something i've ever actually thought about, but i'd mainly worry about genetic health problems like a family history of cancer or huntington's disease. on top of that, i'd also consider psychological things like a predisposition toward depression.

8. lick wid nit wit

lick wid nit wit Official OT Oracle

Man, I am so glad I have chosen not to reproduce. This is stuff I don't have to worry about :)

9. djshotglass

djshotglass New Member

I often think of this myself. My current gf has a disorder where she pretty much has less of everything. She has practically no enamel on her teeth, thin hair, thin nails, can't sweat, can't tan, etc. Other than her teeth she's actually pretty attractive, however, I can't help but think that I wouldn't want my kids to have that shit.

It leaves me with a very hard decision. She's my first and only gf, and I love her, but I'm not sure if I could have kids with her because of this. And I want kids, so I'd have to break up with her. But this leaves me with another problem: what if she's the best that I can do? What if my next gfs just have different genetic problems, or just suck in general? I've never been a ladies man, it took me until 18 years old to get my first real gf :hs:. And that was only because she pursued me.

Never having had another gf I don't really know what else is out there. I want to know, yet I don't want to break my gfs heart :hs:

10. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

I did think about it, and its like the choice of buying a worn out car, or a brand new mercedes , you want the best of the best. However some people fall in love with worn out cars and are satisfied with an old timer. Or in other words, its basically what you want in your life that matters. Someone's body quality might be terrible, but someone's who's married to a guy in a wheelchair would might not desire to be with anyone else in the world.

But for the rest i think good genes have a GREAT impact on how we experience the world, i wouldn't want my children to have a bad life, suffering from lung diseases, being in pain and agony because of some terrible skin disease. Its not that i want my kids to have great genes so they can become superhuman, its more that i want them to be healthy and live a beautifull life. Well and that said, my mom always said that some people fight for their lives, and some people just throw it to waste, even if the guy or girl has a wonderfull body, then they often just dope it with drugs,making it being worse off then a kid with a handicap. There are a lot of relative facts and assumptions because you don't know how a person is going to live their life. Personally i think its doubtfull why one would put a child on this planet to begin with. My dad said ' it doesn't even matter, if your handicapped you can't do a thing in your life, but if you are healthy then society expects you to work to death. I mean i can't remember 1 day in my entire youth that was good, school was the most depressive time of my life, and now i have to work till i die, knowing i can face all kinds of diseases while becoming older. Is this something i want for my child?

11. demosnat

demosnat New Member

Luckily, everything that a human is is pretty much the result of our ability to weed out those who are not gentically suitable for breeding. Everything that you are attracted to (or find repulsive) in a person is indicitive of health, stamina, and a host of other things that relate to the health of future offspring.
    Besides the obvious (skin problems, unattractive body, bad smell, poor people skills) you are also attracted to genetically suitable mates based on a chemical level.
    You are attracted to someone in large part because of thier scent. (This is of course somewhat fucked up b/c we slather ourselves with so much lotion/perfume/cologne etc). Their scent, is indicitive of their immune system. You are attracted to someone who has a immune system profile much different from yours (your kids will be immune/resistant to more diseases).
    Sorry, tangent, I was a evolutionary psych major for awhile, I still love it.
    Anywho, your body/brain is pretty amazing at weeding out people you shouldn't be breeding with (all of this also helped to safeguard against inbreeding when we lived in smaller groups) and your common sense can help out with the rest. Of course keep in mind that everyones family has a history of at least SOME disease, and that history does not dictate much of anything, and of course, that you can get most diseases without ANY family history.

12. Asses Maximus

Asses Maximus Guns don't kill people. People kill people. Guns d

no, I dont. love is not genetic. I'm not going to give up love b/c she has a history of alcoholism or heart disease in her family.

13. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

I used to not think about this at all and I'd just date whoever happened to be in my life at the time.

As I've aged, I think about it more. Sometimes I catch myself checking out a woman and thinking....hey....that's a great ass it would be good for our kids! :) Seriously....I do this then just crack up cuz it's silly....but hey....there's nothing silly about a great ass!! That's serious bidness!

14. ptwiggens

ptwiggens New Member

every time a girl has sex with a guy, her body has automatically taken into account his genetics. This is what caused the attraction in the first place.

15. natalie5445

natalie5445 Frau Blücher

Humans naturally select mates that will 'breed' good offspring.

16. lauren

lauren Active Member

i've considered mine in deciding not to have kids :o