A&P How much would you charge?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by jdw, Oct 20, 2006.

1. jdw

jdw New Member

for:

2 - 20"x30" composite posters consisting of one large image and 4 smaller images across the bottom.

5 - 8"x12" of a single image (total 5)
    4x 5 - 8"x10" of a single image (total 20)

Total of:
    25 smaller pictures
    2 poster size

involves processing of 8 total images and setup for the composite poster.
    I did all the shooting (total of about 16 hours shooting drag racing over 2 days, 1500 images).

Everything will be sent to ElcoColor with a cost to me of about $65-70.

(I'm at a combination of :rofl: and :ugh2: realizing how much of a deal I just gave this guy.)

2. joy division

joy division New Member

Just for the prints? Not paid for the time you spent? Is the person buying it a big deal?

I charge hourly for shooting and processing, and separate from prints. 20x30", get at least close to a hundred a piece for those...but I don't know your situation- you have to get good at making your own prices.

3. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

My friend who sells a lot of portraits just adds the inch-sizes together to get the print prices - 4x6 = $10; 5x7=$12; so... 20x30=$50? But the actual cost of that might be higher so I'd probably charge more. OTOH with the number of prints I might give a bit of a discout.... maybe $400-$425 for the prints? :dunno:

4. N-Word-Jim

N-Word-Jim Cure for boredom

better be charging at least 200 a piece for the 20x30... and with it composite like that, jesus 200 is cheap as balls.

5. jdw

jdw New Member

The guy I'm selling to is just one of the weekend racers, nothing particularily special. Charging by hour for shooting I couldn't do simply cause over the 18 hours I shot I could end up with anywhere between 2 and 50 customers. (it's all race photography)

I'm looking at the website for another guy who shoots at a couple tracks I've gone to. $18 for an 8x10, $30 for an 11"x14", and $100 for a 20"x30" (use those because those are the sizes I'm selling right now).

The biggest time drain in doing this is searcing through the 1500 pictures to find the good ones. Unfortunately I'm screwing myself with the amount of time I put into it - offering to upload each picture I shot of a car for a person to look at (although with this particular customer he chose a particular picture I would have left out cause it cut off part of the back of the car).

6. jdw

jdw New Member

god dammit, now I wish I wouldn't have posted this. :rofl:

7. nicklk

nicklk New Member

I would say that this is a good platform to work off of maybe closer to the $75 mark for the 20"x30's but the others are good:dunno:

With these prices it would "include" the shoot time, editing time, etc...

8. JaimeZX

Yah; how much did you wind up charging? :squint:

9. jdw

jdw New Member

wonder if they have wireless by the bridge so I can throw myself off it after I post this.....

total price to him? $150 :rofl:

god my customers are going to love me.

I really haven't had to do a lot of processing on the pictures, maybe 5-10 minutes - I actually think I've spent more time on the phone with him talking about the order.

I've been charging $35 for the 20"x30" (planning on going to $40 or $45 after this batch is put through). I was at a tossup on the 20x30 price. I've always thought the $100 the other guy charged was outrageous and I talked to a guy I know (who also ordered) and he paid $45 for some before. I figured I'd go cheap and get some good word of mouth out of it.

And anyway, I don't think there are a lot of big spenders in this area that'll be buying $100 posters at will.

Doing $25/each for 11x14/16 from a local place for one order.

I knew I was going to get a lot of "what the fucks" out of this cause I knew I was charging too little. Only the second event I've shot with my first real camera, guess I was a little price shy.

10. JaimeZX

Well, you're right that's kind of low, because your $70 profit / 16 hours of work is $4.37/hour. :o

Still, if you're happy with your overall project, then good on ya. It's $150 more than I made selling photos this week. :bigthumb:

11. jdw

jdw New Member

See the previous post I did about getting pay for the 16 hours and whatnot...

I've actually got more orders stemming from that 16 hours.
    This order of $150
    3 - 20x30 orders @ $35/each
    Order for 11x14/16 at $25/each
    Waiting for an order on a 20x30 to be finalized tonight for $35
    Waiting to hear back on a 20x30 and 2-8x10 order for $60
    Sold 2 image CDs for $70, may sell another one
    yet another 20x30 order pending, and I actually was expecting 2 more on top of that but I have not heard from those two gentlemen.

Could I have made more money going to my real job that weekend? Probably.. (25 hours @ $11.50). Would I have gotten to hang out on the freaking reatining wall of the racetrack for 16 hours and chat with a bunch of cool people? Nope.

12. JaimeZX

No, I saw that post. But anyway, like I said if you're happy then :bigthumb: because that's the important part.

13. jdw

jdw New Member

:rofl: I suppose...

maybe I'll make enough I can order a :rant: CP from BH finally.

14. CornUponCob

CornUponCob New Member

The price that you charge is proportional to how much time / effort you put into something, and how good your end product is (IMO).

Some people say they charge "as much as they can". Others say they charge different amounts to different people because they know that not everybody is willing to pay the same price for services (think how airline tickets cost different amounts based on when you buy them and what seat you get). While others still say they try to keep their prices "cheap" because they enjoy photography and are not motivated by money to do it.

15. mojito

mojito New Member

and I thought MY charges were low for prints. Of course I have a more streamlined workflow and with my own printer the actual cost is next to nothing. costs me $0.55 for an 8x10

Last edited: Oct 20, 2006
  16. JaimeZX

How do you print that big for so cheap at home? :confused:

17. mojito

mojito New Member

epson pro printers ;)

18. JaimeZX

Yah but isn't even the paper more than that? :confused:

Edit: at least you're using pigment inks. :hsd:

19. N-Word-Jim

N-Word-Jim Cure for boredom

you start by not figuring the cost of your printer into the equation. His method for cost figuring is so fucked its not even funny.

20. mojito

mojito New Member

ink + paper + shipping, whats so bad about that?

I need a printer anyways, it cost me $300 after rebate, sale of old one etc. thats already been covered by prints sold, so everything else is pure profit. In 3 years of doing it I've never had a clog or service need.

and the only way to include the cost of the printer is to figure out how many prints you'll get out of it, and thats damn near impossible, or to atleast know how long you'll keep it and how many images you print per/x, which again is an unknown.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2006
  21. mojito

mojito New Member

[​IMG]

22. JaimeZX

:redxd: Dammit this SmartFilter is so frustrating. Everyone needs to humor me and until Christmas put really descriptive captions on all their pics. :sad2:

23. jdw

jdw New Member

Holy shit, if I charged (and was paid) that much I'd be ordering the 70-200 f2.8L IS right now. :noes: ....considering that only cost me maybe $40 to get printed up.