How much will a leaky box affect sub performance?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by DeeVoc, Sep 2, 2003.

1. DeeVoc

DeeVoc Heh.

Due to the shitty contours of my trunk I had to build my sub box INSIDE my trunk. Because of this not all sides got a great seal and while I went over the ones I could with fiberglass/caulk there are like 1/2 sides that are inaccessable (sp). How much am I probably missing out on due to this. The air coming out doesn't seem quite that bad, but it's still leaking nonetheless.

2. idontgiveashit

idontgiveashit I eat rice

use your finger

3. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

It can have a very great effect on the sound, I would get it sealed.

4. 04

04 Guest

You arent going to notice much if any difference, other than perhaps a whistling noise. It also depends on how big your leaks are.

I have heard stories of a guy cutting a hole in a guy's box and the guy didnt even notice it until they showed him what they did :rofl:

I would be more concerned on how ridgid your enclosure is.

5. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

My friend had the terminal cup on his box come out, and the bass sounded like total crap due to the hole in the box. When he put the cup back in, it sounded normal again, so I guess it depends on the size of the hole, but I would want my sealed box sealed completely.

6. 04

04 Guest

Thats true, but the terminal cup is usually a pretty big hole. At that size, it is acting more like a port than a leak, and the tuning frequency would be really high, which would very likely explain why it sounded so shitty.

Have you ever heard of an aperodic membrane? Dynaudio sells some devices called variovents that are esentially a hole in the box packed tightly with fiberglass. It makes the box essentially work as a leaky sealed enclosure, which can be very handy in situations where you need to put a woofer in a much smaller space than it would ideally require.

7. DeeVoc

DeeVoc Heh.

Yeah, well ford did a shitty number fastening down the rear deck or my car. It actually used to life up before I got rid of my backseat. I'm sure I still need to use some self-tappers to fasten that bitch down before I can really start enjoying my IDMAX

8. idontgiveashit

idontgiveashit I eat rice

was it a cougar, mine had 2 holes on either side from the air commin thru it, it jsut stayed like that, and i hadda rack thing on mine, and it sucked the trunklid down so much it wore all teh sheetmetal screw holes so it didnt hold to shit.

9. DeeVoc

DeeVoc Heh.

95 Mustang. But yeah the rear deck has two square cut outs underneath the panel for some reason. Air was shooting throw and rattling the fuck out of the panel that rests on top.