How much whey protein should i take a day?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Motts, Dec 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Motts

Motts Guest

Just got my ON whey protein... using protein for the first time. It's 1gr/1lb of body weight right? How do i measure this stuff? It didnt come with a scoop and i dont see myself running out to the store to get one any time soon

2. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

The scoop should be in the middle of the bag somewhere if you got a big bag. The scoop is 70ccs.

3. cura

cura New Member

Countless threads on amount to take, with varying opinions from the broly's to us normal people to nutritionists. My answer, it depends on what you weigh and your goals. I generally try to shoot for that number given my weight, ~170, but usually come in 20 or so less. Plus, some of us poor people cannot afford all that whey to supplement our tuna and chicken ;)

4. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

The scoop is in there... Just wash your hands and dig around a bit for it.

As for how much to take, the 1g per lb of lean body mass seems to work well, maybe a tad more.
    But don't make the whey your primary source of protein. If you're taking in 200g per day then I would shoot to make ~ 50g of that come from whey (one scoop pre-workout and one scoop post).

Some dudes here take in like 300-400g's but that seems ridiculous to me.

5. Motts

Motts Guest

wait, so if im ~160lbs, i should only get about 1 scoop a day?

6. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

No, go with 2 scoops. One pre-workout and one post-workout.

But this depends on your goals too. If you're trying to just pack on as much weight and muscle as possible you'll need more food and protein in your diet.

I generally try to not get more than 25% of my daily protein intake from whey though... unless of course I am cutting, in which case whey helps substantially to keep cals down and protein up.

Whey protein "supplements" your diet... it shouldn't be your primary source of protein.

7. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

word I shoot for a little over...

Also I use maybe 50g whey on days that I train and 32g on days that I do not. the other 200g protein I get per day outside of my whey is from food, and it's not even hard to get that much in at 3500-4000 cals. I only use whey in the mornings because I'm too lazy to make eggs.

8. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

Yeah, sometimes I will go with 50g in the morning if I am in a hurry.

9. partizan036

partizan036 New Member

1 gram of protein per lb so if you weigh 150 lbs.. you need 150 grams of protein, either way the unused protein will get pissed out anyway.

10. Abomb

Abomb New Member

i disagree with you rex. i eat fish and chicken and steak and do 4-8 scoops of whey a day and have been seeing great results. protein is protein, amirite?

11. Plan B

Plan B New Member

:werd:

Protein is protein.

I prefer to get mine from food sources though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.