How much weight would this translate to in Free weights (machine)

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by crown royal, Nov 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crown royal

crown royal Active Member

I just started lifting yesterday after about 10 months away from it (just transfered to a job that doesn't require 10 hour days 6-7 days a week).

Today was leg day and I wanted to do squats on the rack, but some skinny geeky guy was squatting 100 lbs and resting 3 min between sets, lasted about 30 min, I didn't want to wait, other squat rack had 2 brolies.

I used a machine like the below:

[​IMG]

My last set was 300lbs of plates - my legs are much stronger than my upper body - I fucking love leg day, but I feel like I cheated using this machine. My core is weak as fuck, so I know I couldn't have done that weight on a free bar. Out of curiosity - anyone know what the conversion would be? I'd like to know what to do on the next leg day if the squat rack is open.

The leg workout was great - I've been walking funny since I left the gym, which to me is a sign of great success, but I would like to get the core workout as well.

Thanks!

2. b21bballer

b21bballer Active Member

300 * 0.846524353 (translation constant) = 253.9573059 lbs.

hell yeah, brah.

3. Jam_Master_J

Jam_Master_J New Member

that's good bro! That's like doing anywhere from 45-50 lbs in a squat rack.

4. crown royal

I'll take that.

Unfortunately, my bench of only 110 is pretty sad.:mamoru:

5. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

the square root of the number of times you've taken a shit in the past decade... take that number and divide it by the length of your penis (in cm) and then divid e again by the amount of weight you used on that machine (300 lbs) and you have the exact number that you can do on a full squat.

6. crown royal

thnx 4 teh halp:rolleyes:

7. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

there are a lost of variables involved in squatting and there is absolutely no way to translate from a machine to a free squat...

1) how deep did you squat on the machine vs. how deep do you squat with a free bar

2) core strength isn't as pertinent on the machine as it is in free bar

3) machine absorbs some weight

4) ur welcome lolz

If you've never squatted before then take it easy your first time free squatting. I'd bet your form will be ass anyway, unless you are one in a million. Start with just the bar to warm up and feel the movement, and identify your range of motion. After that you can start adding weight a little at a time. I wouldn't even go as high as 135lbs my first time... I'd say start with the bar and then keep adding 10lbs to each side and do like 8 reps, focusing on going deep as possible and keeping your posture good.

8. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

It doesn't translate. Its like trying to predict your squat from what you rep on leg extenstions.

9. crown royal

Thank you - I kind of assumed 2 & 3, I doubt I would do 300 on a free bar. My biggest concern is that my head is too big and I will start with too much weight next week. Any suggestions? 200 or so?

10. Memor

Memor Active Member

it doesn't correlate. I've put 8 plates a side on that thing and squatted it pretty deep when I could only free squat about 385 at the beginning of the summer.

11. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

only 385 huh?

:wtc:

12. Hoodoo

Hoodoo Well-Known Member

God forbid you ask to work in with the skinny guy.

On a side note, leg days are nice aren't they.

13. crown royal

I didn't want to spend the time changing the weight back and forth. Probably should have considering the time he spent resting anyway.

Yes - I love leg days. I feel like I am the only person in the world who loves to do legs - by far my favorite muscle group.

14. TZ

TZ Banned

How much have you squatted before? have you ever squatted before?

And don't be a dickhead :squint: I used to be a 100lb squatting skinny geek guy.

15. kamiraa

kamiraa OT Supporter

but 8 feet tall. You would hit your head on the top of the squat rack!

16. Pringles

Pringles New Member

As you've been told there is no relation. Go squat and start with 45s and see how that feels. More importantly learn the correct form before you start going all out veins building. The machine you use isolates your legs, in a squat rack you use your back/core/and a little upper body and you gotta balance.

17. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

I used to love leg days... then I started Pur's routine and hated it. Then i took out most of the machine work and replaced it with more freeweight stuff (less leg ext's, more squats; no hamstring curls, use RDL's instead) and I think it's probably really bad for me to do that much shit at one time... On one hand it feels great to work that hard, but on the other making yourself feel sick from working your ass off for an hour or so can't be that great for ya.

18. T-R-T

T-R-T New Member

Warumup with 135 and go up from there.

19. Mitchj

Mitchj OT Supporter

Squatting also needs shoulder and upper back strength to support the bar, it is more than just leg push strength.

20. crown royal

Update - did legs again today, but did free squat rack at 225. Legs probably could have done more, but I was afraid for my back and shoulders. That being said,after being back doing this for only a week I'm pleased. And I likely will be able to walk this week.

21. Juke Box Hero

Juke Box Hero Active Member

back in HS gym class we were fucking around on those.

some skrawny ass kid, prob no more than 110 pounds at the time said he could squat the amount we had on there (a few plates each side)

once we took the pin out he fucking crunched up like a spring, and we had no spotters

i never felt so bad in my life

22. crown royal

That's cold.:wtc:

I thought about going up in weight and maybe asking a couple folk to spot, but I thought that maybe I should just be patient and let my core/back catch up to my legs.

The temptation is there to go back to machines, because my legs are by far my strongest muscle groups, and the only place I ever feel comfortable, but I need my upper body to build some strength.

Patience is so fucking hard when you are starting out.

23. penisbird

penisbird Guest

24. crown royal

Fuck dood, I just thought about that story more and had to come back to say :wtc:. Was he eventually OK?

25. Juke Box Hero

Juke Box Hero Active Member

he actually just laid there for a second then walked away slowly holding his back.. dont remember much besides that. it was about 6 years ago.

there had to of been at least 300 pounds on that bitch, and we were in 9th grade doing no warmups or anything :hsugh:

he just walked up and went under it. lol the more i actually think about it, i think we actually antagonized him to try it :hs:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.