How much wattage

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Bencorn, May 11, 2008.

1. Bencorn

Bencorn New Member

do I need for around 11 harddrives? Give or take. I have an e6600, 2gigs ram, and an 8800gts 640. I currently have 7 harddrives and I'm looking to add several more. Am I ok with about 700 watt psu? Or should I start looking into an 800+ watt psu?

2. Chris

Chris New Member

depends if they are raptors or green powers, and I would think one of the most important factors would be number of connectors

there are calculators on the web, newegg has one

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

silly to have 11 hard drives, now, imo. Should be looking at some form of NAS or FC setup.

4. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

what exactly are you doing with 11 hard drives in a single system? can't you cut it down to fewer, but larger drives?

5. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

read/write power requirements of drives is around 8-20 watts depending on the drive.

the way I'd do it,... i'd assume the max (20), multiply it by 11, add the power requirements of your other components, then multiply the result by 2, 3 or 5 for good measure.

6. Bencorn

Bencorn New Member

No raptors just standard drives for storage.

I'm migrating to larger drives now, but I started with 400's so I accumulated quite a few of them because they were very cost effective at the time. But I'm running a large media center pc with over 250 high def movie rips, around 5000 episodes of tv at standard def, and a plethora of MP3's as well. I'm moving to 750's which will allow me to gain more space without having as many drives. 1tb drives are still a bit pricey for what you get. Thanks for the help guys, my power supply should be good to go until I upgrade the video card again.