How much trouble am I about to walk into?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Stilgar1973, Jun 13, 2008.

1. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

I have officially thrown my hat into the Carbonite ring.
    Carbonite is a backup service that allows you to backup an *unlimited* (there word) amount of data to there server automatically from your computer.

You install a small program that runs in your taskbar and it constantly encrypts and copies your data to its servers 24/7.

I have found that over my connection it uploads approx. 2 gigs a day.

Now here is the thing...
    I got somewhere in the ballpark of 500 gigs of data total.
    My OS disc alone is 100 gigs, and that spills over to a second drive for a bunch more gigs (games and such).
    When I first investigated Carbonite last year my turn off was '2 gigs a day/huge amount of data = never ever gonna get it backed up'.

Since then I have thought about it and I have come to the conclusion that I don't really mind that. I can work around it, it really isn't the problem I thought it would be.

But - it does mean one thing.
    For the foreseeable future I will be uploading 2 gigs of data a day.

Here is my question for the group:

We all know that ISP's are clamping down on people who do a lot of P2P.
    My understanding has always been that what gets you in legal trouble is when the RIAA people find your computer open and get a directory listing off it.
    I am not worried about that.
    All this data is encrypted, it is getting shared between Carbonite and me. They are a legitimate service. This isn't really file sharing of the bad kind.

But, it looks like ISP's are beginning to get itchy about the amount of bandwith people consume.
    Well, Looks like I am gonna be uploading a pretty predictable 60 gigs a day for the next bunch of months.

I have a DSL connection.

Any predictions?
    Am I setting myself up for the loss? Or am I just paranoid?

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Don't bother backing up your OS and programs. Only back up your documents. If shit goes down, you'll have to reinstall your OS before you can run the restore tool from Carbonite anyway, and then you'll be waiting weeks for your computer to finish restoring, by which point you could've manually reinstalled all of your programs, file by file, and gotten a good headstart on restoring your documents.

3. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

60GB/month? that's chicken feed. I'd say you're paranoid.

4. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

You are correct.
    My thought process works like this.

1. Tell it to get things that are important. Check off things week by week.
    2. When I haven't put the energy into picking important stuff don't waste time by having it sit idle, let it get files off the OS.

But that is just me.
    What you are saying is absolutely correct.
    Don't backup game files that I can just reinstall off the DVD the game came on, do backup the save files.

I am just kind of OCD on shit like this. It is going to drive me up the wall if I know that it isn't uploading useless to crap to my *unlimited* storage space in the sky.

5. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

1 vote for paranoia.

6. Chris

Chris New Member

:werd: