WEB How much to charge for freelance web design?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Secret Agent Man, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Secret Agent Man

Secret Agent Man New Member

My friend's company needs a new website... Currently that's what I do for a living, but I'm with one company on salary. He asked if I was interested, and how much I might charge, but I have no fucking clue how much I should say. It's relatively basic, probably just a couple dozen pages, with all the info already there (their current site sucks ass and they need a new one).

Anyone have any tips on setting a price? I don't want to be too high and scare them off, and I don't want to be too low and get ripped off. :hsd:

2. Phasm

Phasm OT Supporter

It depends on a lot of factors.

1.) Your knowledge/experience/credentials

2.) The needs of the project "a couple dozen pages" can be a paragraph on each or custom php applications to do specific tasks. This can change a 20 hour project into a 200 hour project.

Check out this tool to help you figure out what is best for you to charge:

http://freelanceswitch.com/rates/

and something to keep in mind - I've overquoted people. They typically will come back with a counter offer and if they give you a response like "WHOA, NOT IN THIS LIFETIME, PAL" then move on because they'll squeeze every last penny of their investment out of you.

3. Secret Agent Man

It would be basic... Like really fucking basic. No advanced scripts or really intense bullshit or anything like that. All the info is already right there, they just want it to look prettier. As it is, it looks like something I could've made when I first started designing web pages when I was like 11.

As for knowledge/experience/credentials, I only have about two years of professional experience, along with a bunch of fucking around in my spare time for a decade or so before that. :dunno:

4. Phasm

Phasm OT Supporter

I typically charge $250-400/homepage and $150-200/sub page depending on complexity, detail, and what they need. I usually cut my friends deals though so it's really your call. I've had best luck with simply asking "what is your budget for this project?" and they usually are pretty willing to give me a ballpark range. By doing this sometimes I'll see that they don't even have enough money for me to open their website and sometimes I see a lot more than I was expecting and have more room to give them a kickass product. It seems like you're figures are pretty fluctuated right now so your best bet is to probably ask them what they have to spend on it.

5. jizzmo

jizzmo New Member

My rate would be $55.71 per hour.

6. Phasm

Phasm OT Supporter

Run with it. You'd be surprised at how willing some people are to pay well for quality web sites.

7. jizzmo

jizzmo New Member

I am going to submit a proposal for a website in the next few months, will be my first "big" project if i get it. :x:

8. Phasm

Phasm OT Supporter

good shit. :bigthumb:

9. Pepsi1975

Pepsi1975 Mod of the Year

my last site i did, broke down to about 50 an hour

10. Secret Agent Man

Thanks for the tips... I think I'll try to find out what their budget is, then send them over a quick mockup I'll whip up in Photoshop or something.

11. Phasm

Phasm OT Supporter

Sounds like a good plan, also if you have a portfolio/resume/etc include that. If they're a wealthy company it'll increase your hourly rate with them if you come off as an established designer.

12. Secret Agent Man

They're not, they're a small company, only a few employees.

13. jizzmo

jizzmo New Member

man, you av grosses me out lol.

14. Phasm

Phasm OT Supporter

:dunno: see what happens I suppose. Every project/client is different.

15. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

your ideal hourly rate is $1338.65 p/hr

Maybe I entered something wrong :rofl:

16. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

TS what is your av??

17. Pepsi1975

i say the decimal point needs to move three to the left :mamoru:

18. vumpler

vumpler New Member

What are you charging for say.... A small business (only a couple of people there and NOT selling products off the site) with 7 pages, nothing on them but text and pictures but using a flash banner up top with your choice of what it looks like.

In my mind I see most all sites of this description ending between $1,000 and $3,000.

But I don't know how the market is out there right now. I made simple sites when I was in high school with a catch flash banner and charged about $1,500 give or take.

19. Pepsi1975

depends on the company and how well they do, but with today's economy and shit, most companies are too scared to spend alot on a site

20. vumpler

vumpler New Member

So which is a lot? $3,000 a lot or is $1,000?

We're talking small companies.

21. Pepsi1975

if it is a small company and they are just starting up or waht not, 1000 can be alot to them too

try asking to see what their budget is so you can get an idea, or if you don't care about potentially scaring them away, give them a quote

22. Phasm

Phasm OT Supporter

It's really hard to say....you have to think about things like if they need a backend/cms and stuff like that can become time consuming. If you're too scared to ask for a budget then ask for a spec. with very very refined details and maybe a wireframe.

23. Azazel28

Azazel28 New Member

A project for my team is a minimum of 100 hours, however the average project it usually close to 200-250 hours over the course of 2 weeks for my entire team. That is purely billable hours. It takes anywhere between 14-30 days for smaller clients with less demands. Clientele that need custom applications/scripts, etc could easily add another 15-30 days or more onto the project outlook.

Our latest client was a 9 day (there was a rush fee charged) project, with three team members working on the project including flash, custom javascript, minor artistic drawings/graphs/diagrams, and about 12 pages took a total of 240 billable hours. Each person put in about 8-10 hours a day for those nine days and they were billed accordingly.

24. Ebtek

Ebtek Afraid of 138

we just paid someone to do a 3 page site. paid them $500. it looks like complete garbage. like a dog threw up, then shit and pissed on it.

25. Pepsi1975

hmm i just did a 4 page site, got paid $500 for it, and the fucking idiots that paid me had no content, and a horrible quality logo to work with, but you should have seen the site before i did it :mamoru: