WEB How much to charge for basic web work?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by tryfuhl, Apr 22, 2009.

1. tryfuhl

tryfuhl New Member

A guy locally wants me to install Magento (e-commerce script) for him and that's pretty simple, already gave him a bid on that (I charged 30 + minimum 3 hours work beyond that). Yeah I know I undercharged that, but it's not like I have clients knocking at my door, or e-mail.

He asked my hourly rate and I said that would be dependent on the type of work done; such as whether it would be merely setting up some options/configuring the standard options in Magento, adding in modules, SEO work, etc. I said that if he gave me an idea of what he'll need I can also just offer a fixed rate and maintenance/hourly work could be done after such.

Then he said:

"I'll need some instruction and help configuring beyond just the install, what's your standard hourly rate?"

To me that sounds like he'll just need someone to show him where shit goes, where to find options, uploads, etc. I'd really like to clarify this before accepting anything, but let's just say it's simple shit.

My experience: html/css, general webadmin shit (light server admin), installing scripts, adding plugins, whatever, all simple shit.. basically I've done mostly internet radio and vBulletin installs, configs, template work, etc

I'm leaning towards about $15/hr since it's more work than I have right now, but if it's SEO work, etc I'd obviously want to charge more.

Thoughts?

2. Ricky

Ricky █▄ █▄█ █▄ ▀█▄

charge what you think you are worth

what you really want to work on is just getting some jobs. You need to basically build up your portfolio at the moment.

3. tryfuhl

tryfuhl New Member

Yeah that's what I'm doing, I'm asking you guys what you think I'm worth :o

Man this mofo uses 1and1 and dreamhost, neither of which are good with magento

come on 1and1, fucking update the php :o

4. maxxpower

maxxpower OG Lauren Crew - Observer OT Supporter

too cheap.

5. PocoDiablo

PocoDiablo New Member

My rule is $10/hr for every year of experience. If you have 3 years of experience, charge $30/hr.

For full time work, I charge $7/hr for every year of experience.

6. Phasm

Phasm OT Supporter

15/hr is peasant talk son

7. Shampoo

Shampoo Rinse & Repost

$30/hr, even that is lower than what I would charge.

8. nashstradamus

nashstradamus New Member

$50 an hour is standard.

9. Azazel28

Azazel28 New Member

Industry standard for design work changes from company to company and location to location. However, you are looking at actually building someones web presence. If you think that means being paid almost as much as Wal-mart greater then be my guest in charging a company such a low rate.

However, most "professionals" (use that term loosely) have more dignity then that. I have found in the industry design work ranges from 25-50 dollars an hour and web development work ranges from 30-70 dollars an hour.

Think about it, you are in charge of the way their clients are going to perceive them online. This is similar to paint company, construction company, or interior decorator creating an experience for their store front. Are you only worth the price of two waiters/waitresses???? Come now, lets be smart about this.

All in all, you need to put your skills into perspective. If you are not adding value to your client then you should not design their site. People (clients) talk and if you truly want to be successful in the web industry you need to start off strong and be professional from the start.

I do agree that if you have a small or next to nothing portfolio then you will need to sacrifice hourly pay in order to get your foot in the door, but again do not loose site of what you actually bring to the table.