SRS How much time can my cousin get for these crimes????

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Guz200sx, Dec 31, 2005.

1. Guz200sx

Guz200sx The man who does more than he is paid for will soo

This is the story, it happened around the beginning of December. So anyway my dumb ass 14 yr old cousin went with 3 or 4 of his older friends (all are 18 yrs old) and they drove up to some store at 4 in the morning. My cousin says the one of the older kids gave him a gun, mask and some gloves and told him let's go rob this place. He says they also told him that they would prolly get $60,000 in cash and they would split it 4 ways so he could get up to $15,000 :)ugh:) and of course he says his eyes lit up just at the thought of that. So they went in. My cousin had the mask/gloves on and the gun (which had a trigger lock and no bullets) and so they went into this store which was open and they asked for money but the lady that was their said she didn't have any money and that it was all in a safe and she didn't have the key.
    SO then 3 of the 4 guys (including my cousin) jumped into their car. The 4th guy apparently did not end up going in. And the 4th guy is the one that gave my cousin the gun, the mask and gloves. Apparently the gun also belongs to the 4th guy's father. So anyway the 4th guy goes his own way. The 3 other guys (including my cousin) went another way and their driving along and then they get stopped by the police cause they didn't have their headlights on. By this time, I'm sure the cops already had a APB out for 3 guys (one of them armed) so of course the cops get suspicious and get them out and search the car and find the mask which was under my cousins seat and the gun was under another seat. The police then detained the guys and brought the witness from the store and she ID'ed my cousin as the guy with the mask and the gun. I think she must have recognized him by his clothes and what not. So they arrested my cousin and another guy. The 4th guy who went his own way is not saying anything to the police but he got a lawyer now. My cousin basically sang to the police and told them everything. I think he was prolly all nervous and whatever cause he told them he wore the mask, the gloves and had the gun. I was told by his mother that he didn't point it any one though.

So now, the court wants to try him as an adult and my cousin has been charged with 5 felony counts which are Attempted Armed Robbery, Illegal possession of a firearm while under the age of 18yrs old, Possession of a firearm with intent to commit a crime.....Their are also two other counts but I can't remember exactly what they are. I know one of them is a count against him for wearing the mask.

So thats the story....And Currently he is in a juvenile home and has been their for like 2 or 3 weeks now and he has a court date in January. Today he had a bond hearing but the Prosecutor got the judge to change his mind and keep him in Juvy until his January trial date.

So My question is What type of punishment is my cousin facing with these type of felony counts?? Can they really try him as an adult?? I know these are serious offenses but for the most part he has been a good kid. Just got mixed in with the wrong crowd. But I'm pretty sure he is going to get some type of punishment. But will it be jail time??

btw, this happened in Richmond, VA.
    AND this is also his first offense.
    I think that should count for something...

CLIFFs: 14yr old cousin went with some older friends (18yrs old) and they attempted to rob a store. My cousin had a gun, mask and gloves on. He is now being charged with Attempted Armed Robbery, Illegal possession of a firearm while under the age of 18yrs old, Possession of a firearm with intent to commit a crime and two other counts that I don't remember. They want to try him as an adult as well.

How fuckin screwed is he??????

2. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

Your cousin needs a lawyer, not OT.

3. Guz200sx

He's got a lawyer!!

I'm just trying to get an idea of how screwed he is.

4. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

Why not ask his lawyer? Don't you think s/he'd have a better idea than any of us? ;)

5. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Its bad, even at young ages the usual result is that they just end 'behind bars'. The juvinile protection is 'not' all that great, in America there's a very one-sided approuch towards armed robbers namely criminal ->goto prison. And a trend to treat young criminals more and more like adult and give adult punishments, if i where you i would advice re-adaptive theraphy for your cousin, as the lawyer has to USE 'his young age' as an exuse and blame his parents for his educational lack of skills and his young ,and advice the court that additional creative theraphy is required to educate and preperation for this child back into society is needed. Because on that age you have no idea of the long term consequenses of things.

Your cousin is screwed, this might end up in jail time so be prepared for the worst, the only thing you can do is 'be there for him' and educate him how 'fucking stupid' he was for ever believing those 18 year olds.

6. Guz200sx

Well Believe me, I've tried but his lawyer is never in his office. I've left messages before and I told my cousin's mom to ask him too but the last thing I heard was he would be out on Thursday but He didn't get out on Thursday so now I dunno whats up.

7. Guz200sx

damn....shit is sad man...we just celebrated New Years and my cousin is sitting in jail :wtc: how the fuck can i be happy?? fuck, i can't imagine what he's going through.

8. AmCo

AmCo Haters goin' Hate

Thast crazy. Just lucky no one was killed in the robbery or such. But they were armed so that makes it even worse. Talk to a lawyer.

9. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

He needs to straighten up. Maybe he'll get a light sentence, won't get traumatized in prison, and this will have been a very good thing for him.

10. CastorTroy

CastorTroy New Member

Somewhere you should be able to find your states sentencing guidelines for certain offences and severity levels. It also depends on the states district attorney and what sentence he is going to recommend to the judge. It could go either way from probation to prison, but honestly with a gun involved I'd really say that a few years in prison is is more likely if they try him as an adult.

It'll be hard to convince a judge and jury that they should go easy, even on a 14 year old first time offender, that was waving a gun around demanding money.

11. Toasty

Toasty Naked people have little or no influence on societ

What a sad story. Sounds like he might get jail time...which is sad because that will probably make him worse, not better. Seems like nobody was hurt in this case so my uneducated opinion would be that there wouldn't be the need to try him as an adult?

Boy...the stupid choices he made. How sad.

12. svetlanalemon

svetlanalemon A little blood and vomit on the car seat...

:( i feel bad for your cousin, stupid decision he made and he should be up to pay the price

i think the MOST you can do for your cousin right now, is TALK to him, when you get the chance, tell him not to get jaded, be his friend, be there for him, etc...

good luck.
    14 years old is too young to be tried as an adult. poor kid

13. Mugwump

Mugwump Guest

Be glad he got caught early in life.

14. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Mugwump i know you love to see criminals behind bars via the 'they got what they deserve' theory.

Every criminal behind bars = tax money YOU pay for. Glad, you might think. But its not a long term solution,when the kid comes out of jail he'd still have a criminal mind. It would be better if re-adaptive theraphy for society integration would be applied. That way this kid could become a productive person within society.

When your 14 you lived 'such' a short life that you have no idea what 'consequenses on the longer term' mean. Kids like that don't even think a day ahead, especially if your surrounded with 'bad examples' from older 18 year old people who give the kid a gun 'bad influence' comes to my mind.

Having the 'wrong' (so called) friends can really ruin your life. This doesn't mean the kid is a 'hardcore' criminal tho, rather simply a brainwashed teen that hasn't even begun putting his life in order. :(

15. Mugwump

Mugwump Guest

I never said that.

I said "be glad he got caught early" coz he still has a chance to not turn into a sociopathic criminal.

16. Guz200sx

UPDATE on my Cousin's situation

Today was his Court Date....My parents went to support his mother. Unfornately, I was not able to go and I have not been able to see him/talk to him either.

The story I got was that the prosecutor is throwing all the blame on my cousin. They also got one of the other guys, his 17yr old "friend" who went into the store with him also had a mask and gloves, to turn against my cousin and say he was the one that planned everything out. But my cousin says he did not and I believe him because like someone on here said earlier he is a confused teen who doesn't know what his place in life is yet. Their is another 19yr old involved in this and he is apparently the guy that gave the gun to my cousin and told them to go into this store and ask for the certain lady and get the money from her. Now this 19yr old is apparently always scheming up ideas to rob places but this is the first one that he actually got to work. He's got a clean record too but I was told he is out free on a $15,000 bond.

Before these incidents, my cousin had been very depressed and got into the thing of cutting himself (I made a thread about this before). He also tried to commit suicide once by cutting his wrists.

Then this thing happened to him..........Dunno whats gonna happen to him but it doesn't look good at all. His attorney tried to get the judge to give my cousin house arrest but the prosecutor rebutted that and said that he had the gun (which was unloaded), mask, and gloves and went into the store and asked for a lady (who was/is the manager) and they were told she wasn't their. My cousin had the gun but was not waving it around or anything like that, he had it in his hand down by his side but visible. Once they were told the lady wasn't their, they left and got into the car with the headlights off and were busted right away apparently because the driver of the car was speeding and headlights were off.

And they still want to try him as an adult...

17. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

One lesson to draw from this: never tell the cops everything and plead for mercy. They will fucking ruin you. Only talk to your lawyer, who can negotiate.

18. Toasty

Toasty Naked people have little or no influence on societ

How would the prosecutor get anyone to believe a 14 yr old could mastermind a bunch of 17-19 year olds to do anything?

19. Fuck your cousin. He is nothing but a misguided little shit. I hope he's found guilty on all counts and serves maximum time. Piece of shit.

20. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

I slightly disagree (I guess depending on the crime). When I was younger and stupid I was caught for doing something. I confessed to everything and it was because of that my lawyer was able to get the felony charge dropped entirely.
    I do agree with always trying to go through your lawyer though if possible.