How much should I spend on an engagement ring?

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by bloodred83, Nov 7, 2006.

1. bloodred83

bloodred83 im in ur cost gard, savin' ur boatz

I make $50k a year, I'm 23 and I have almost $40k in the bank, so I can spend a chunk of change on the love of my live. I'm thinking $2-4k. Oh and we've been dating for just over 3 years.

Thoughts?

2. OoOlAlA

OoOlAlA New Member

why ask people? Its up to you. Get what you want and what you think she will like. Why even talk about a price?

3. MattThom01

MattThom01 New Member

my initial thought would be to not spend much, save more for the wedding ring, which I assume she would have an active part in choosing. After all, you don't want to spend a lot of money on something she doesn't get to help pick out.

Just my opinion, I know it probably doesn't help that much.

Congrats in advance, and I hope it goes well!

4. Vixxen

Vixxen New Member

really depends on what she likes. what kind of cut, color, etc.

5. bloodred83

I thought the engagement ring was the costly one and the wedding band was typically simple and "cheap."

Anyways, she's a simple gal, not really fancy, but I know she'd love to have something semi flashy to let others know she's taken. So far I know she likes white gold and round diamonds.

Something along these lines:
    [​IMG]

6. MattThom01

MattThom01 New Member

I seriously don't know, lol. Sorry!

7. SpectraRedZ

SpectraRedZ New Member

Well, they say the typical ring budget is 2 months salary, but I think you should spend as much as you'd like on her on something you think she'd love. (although im sure she'll be ecstatic with whatever you give her, as its the thought that counts). she'll have it the rest of her life. that ring you posted is very nice. too flashy for me (i just want a white gold band with a single round diamond) but i do know thats a popular-style ring you posted.

8. JustaMeThang

JustaMeThang New Member

I think that is a beautiful choice. Just keep in mind that there is no need to buy from Tiffanys, you'll get ripped off. As cheesy as it sounds, whatever you choose, she'll love, because of the meaning behind it.

9. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

You should choose the ring that you want, and spend what it costs. She shouldn't be marrying you for the ring anyways ;) although she is going to wear it for the rest of her life, so don't go too cheap on it.

Forget about what everybody else says, buy what you can afford and you both want.

edit: There are a couple of threads in OnTopic about this subject right now. You can also contact DasVWBabe, as she is VERY knowledgeable about diamonds and might be able to help you find one.

10. bloodred83

Heh, yeah I know. I just like the way they present their rings online; makes it easy to get the general picture of the ring I'm looking for in mind. I think I'm going to go with that style ring, now I just need to read up on some places to actually buy it.

Oh and she lives on Long Island too, that's where I met her and dated her for the last 3 years. :eek5:

11. JustaMeThang

JustaMeThang New Member

Where on LI?

12. bloodred83

She lives in Bellerose (goes to Adelphi University), and I lived in Moriches out in Suffolk county while I was stationed at the East Moriches Coast Guard station. I did my 3 years there but now I'm stationed out here in WA. I'm proposing to her when I go see her for 2 weeks in Decemeber/January. :)

13. DurkaDurka

DurkaDurka God hates me

Mine didn't want me to spend a lot of money. Was able to get a nice ring for about $1000.

Oh, diamonds FTL! :down:

14. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

I've know people who have a family tradition of the groom's family buying the ring, I've seen rings bought for 40k+ and wedding budgets of 120k+. I just can't believe it both me and my girl would love to have some of that cash as a wedding present for something like a down payment on a house rather than a spent on filling up a photo album.

My girl isn't a big fan of diamonds so when the time comes I am thinking ruby not only is it a 9 on the hardness scale and doesn't have the whole cartel/war thing attached to it, but it is also my birthstone.

As for how much to spend that's up to you, you can spend as much as you want. Or you can learn what she wants and spend whatever it takes to get that. I don't know which option would be cheaper (depends on the girl)

15. mrs kaje

mrs kaje ________________

That ring is really nice, but for me, I'd prefer to get rid of those diamonds on the side, and put that extra $ towards a larger single diamond...

16. Project X

Project X New Member

isnt there some rule of thumb that says the engagment ring should be 2 months of salary? is that before or after taxes..haha..

i will be in the same boat in the near future... i am savin up for a down payment on a house and dont want to go too crazy on the ring but i know what my girl means to me and ive spoiled her already on other stuff. i was thinkin of gettin her a ring for around 10k max.. down payment on half of that and finance the rest..

17. Ibanez Guy

Ibanez Guy New Member

you've been dating her for over 3 years. is she a jewelry type of person? does she like big flashy stuff? does she want something simple? does she like to stand out and show off? answer these questions, then go shopping for a ring and just buy it. don't follow any rules like 2 months salary or what anyone says. no one knows her better than you and you shoudl already know what she likes. just my two pennies and I didn't read any other posts so if all this has been said, then oh well

18. RedVsBlue

RedVsBlue Penguins > *

If you have the money, why not take her to a few stores and find out what she likes. Dont look at prices, just get her what she likes (just dont take her to Tiffanys if you expect to spend just a little) Show her rings in the range you are looking to spend and see what she picks out. :dunno:

19. xinster

xinster New Member

dont do it meng!!!

20. DasVWBabe

DasVWBabe Make me feel tiny if it makes you feel tall, but t OT Supporter

:werd:

The last thing I would ever suggest is that someone go into debt for an engagement ring. There is no worse way to start out a marriage - in debt - and it seems like you're being wise about the amount you want to spend on a ring.

My husband designed mine and then had it custom made by www.whiteflash.com - and he spent within your range for a completely unique, gorgeous ring. I know there isn't another one out there like it, unless someone has taken his design and modified it to their own ring.

With your budget, you could easily have Whitflash put together a gorgeous ring.

In 18k WG, this setting is $790.00. It's a flush-fit setting so she can wear a wedding ring right up next to it without any gap.

[​IMG]

And here's a quick sampling of diamonds that are of good value.

http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-136238.htm

0.8 ct G VS1 Round Ideal Cut
    $3,460.00 Item Available - Ready to ship

Item Code: AGS-7874705

. Report: AGS
    . Shape: Round Ideal Cut
    . Carat: 0.800
    . Depth %: 61.7
    . Table %: 57.1
    . Crown Angle: 36.3
    . Crown %: 16
    . Star : 56
    . Pavilion Angle: 40.8
    . Pavilion %: 42.9
    . Lower Girdle %: 78
    . Girdle: Thin to Slightly Thick Faceted
    . Measurements: 5.95-5.97X3.68
    . Polish: Excellent
    . Symmetry: Excellent
    . Culet: Pointed
    . Fluorescence: Negligible

[​IMG]

I like this one - especially for the price. It's an SI2, but because it's quite well cut, it looks pretty eye clean - even under 40x magnification. The only flaws are a crystal and feather (both white inclusions and hardly ever visible to the naked eye).

http://www.whiteflash.com/round/Round-cut-diamond-23765.htm#

0.74 ct F SI2 Round
    $2,479.00 Item Available - Ready to ship

Item Code: GIA-13114785

. Report: GIA
    . Shape: Round
    . Carat: 0.74
    . Depth %: 61.4
    . Table %: 59
    . Crown Angle: 35.9
    . Crown %: 15.3
    . Pavilion Angle: 40.8
    . Pavilion %: 42.7
    . Girdle: MEDIUM FACETED
    . Measurements: 5.80-5.82X3.57
    . Polish: Very Good
    . Symmetry: Very Good
    . Culet: None
    . Fluorescence: None

[​IMG]

21. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

A couple hundred for the setting and $15 shipped for a CZ.

No one will know the difference as long as you put it in a good, expensive band/setting.

The money that you saved by going with a sim instead of a diamond can be used as a downpayment on a house/accrue interest in the bank/investments/keep you from getting in debt (even tho you sound like you're good at money and don't have any debt)/etc. Plus, if your chick goes for this, you KNOW she is a keeper and has good financial sense (read: won't drive you into debt no matter how much money you make). Plus, you guys can make the deal that if you're still together in 5-10 years (and much richer at this point), you will replace it with a real diamond if she wants you to.

Additionally, if she loses it? Big deal. It was $15 for the stone.

CZ is a 9 on the hardness scale. Diamond is a 10. It's still pretty hard. I think you can get treated CZ that is a 9.5, so don't use "it might break" as an excuse.

CZ has a color of D. Do you know how much you would pay for a diamond with a color of D? As long as you don't get some big ass CZ, it won't look fake. .5-1ct (equivalent) is the best size for CZ. I say "equivalent" because CZ and diamonds have different weights, and a 1ct diamond is not the same *size* as a 1ct CZ. Usually CZs come in diamond ct equivalents. Remember that carat is a weight and not a size.

22. DasVWBabe

Also, whatever you do before you buy anything, visit www.pricescope.com to learn about diamonds, and other jewelry. It's a major purchase, and you want to ensure you're getting the most for your money.

23. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

^ True.

Learn as much as you can. That way when the salesman or whomever you're talking to is saying something, you'll know what they're talking about.

You'll also learn that flourescence is generally not desirable and if you get a shady salesman who tries to convince you otherwise, you can walk.

24. DasVWBabe

For what it's worth, I own lots of simulant jewelry including plenty of CZs. Even the high quality cubics tend to turn milky after a few years. I am a huge proponent for alternative stones, but for a long term ring, you're better off going with a less expensive semi-precious stone rather than a cubic. Even a white sapphire could be a better alternative than a CZ.

25. DasVWBabe

Also, flourescence is a personal preference. People used to warn against it, but because of the ability for lower levels of flourescence to combat more warm colours in the H-I-J range and make a diamond face up a bit more white, it seems to have taken off in popularity. There are rare instances where a highly flourescenced diamond can appear milky, but it's rare.

Here is a blue flourescence diamond taken with one with no flourescence in direct sunlight. The one on the left is a 0.74ct D SI1 with strong blue fluorescence. The one on the right is a .51ct G VS2 with no flourescence.

[​IMG]

Here it is under a black light -
    [​IMG]

And here's a normal pic of it -
    [​IMG]