How much should I charge?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by deadW8, Nov 5, 2003.

1. deadW8

deadW8 New Member

My friend works at a firm that is looking to build a quick, little, inexpensive website. My friend has suggested me and I may be getting this as a sidejob.

What I want to know is, how much should I charge? I've never had a freelance job before. Is $50/hr. a reasonable fee? I expect that this website would be no more than 10 pages. No flash and very little javascript. Nothing fancy, just good ol' html.

I don't know if I'll get it or not, but if I do what amount is reasonable to charge. This is a small (sub-100 employee) architectural firm.

If they need/want flash or more javascript, maybe I can up the price per hour and subcontract that portion of work to someone with that experience in using Flash, etc. (Hint, hint.) ;)

Oh well, everything's just hearsay right now. :fingerscrossed:

Thanks for any suggestions/advice.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2003
  2. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

ive always have charged by the job.

if its something simple, basic html, $400 cnd

if it requires more complex, php, mysql, etc, i charge starting $600 and up depending on how much i have to create. if i have to create databases with bc normalization its gonna cost more.

and u gotta think if the company can really afford it. architectural firm? they are rollin in cash, dont be afraid to ask what u feel is right.

and how are u gonna deal with it when they want something updated? by the hour or by the update? i do by the update. minor update $60. major update i charge by each thing that has to be done. (new page + new table + more gfx)

3. deadW8

deadW8 New Member

CyberBullets: Thanks for the input. :bigthumb: Hadn't thought about charging by the job.

From what I can tell, they won't need anything complex. They won't need a database attached to it or forms or anything else for that matter. The site will probably fall between 5-10 pgs. and will be mostly pure HTML with very little javascript for updating the date via the computer's clock.

If I do get the job, I'll be sure to add in that maintenance is not part of the scope of services and that additional fees will be charged on an hourly rate.

4. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

good call. if its 5-10 pages, say $500-$700. depending if u have to do graphics aswell.

5. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

$50/hr seems steep for basic HTML. Do you have any previous work to justify them spending that kind of money on you?

6. deadW8

deadW8 New Member

I've worked on a firing range website for a subdivision of the company that I'm working for. My friend (he used to work here as a designer and is working for a different firm now) has shown them this website so they have something to base my work upon. I really don't think $50/hr. is all that expensive, especially when I see what other corporations have paid to have crappy html websites put up. Then again the going rate is kinda high here in Orange County. :hs:

7. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

Ah, very true. I didn't take location into account. Would you mind posting the link or showing some of your work? I'm interested to see how much I could make in Orange County. :big grin:

8. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

Location location location

Although with location comes cost of living - your mileage may vary.

I'd recommend going by project as mentioned above. The client will feel better there is just one fixed fee.

$50 isn't too bad, but it depends completely on the skill level. Here, it can go as low as $40 an hour for an HTML coder. Mid $70s for graphic design or scripting. And probably as high as the $90s for any database interaction. Thats about average here in Ohio.

But if you're billing on a per project basis, you'll need to figure out a total project cost and take into account how long its going to take you and then figure out what pay rate you want. Be too greedy and you can lose the gig. Be too cheap and you may be giving away your work.

9. deadW8

deadW8 New Member

Here's the link: http://www.firingrangeservices.com/

It's nothing spectactular and most of you guys could probably do it in your sleep. :) Then again, your kids (assuming you have children) could probably build it w/in a couple of hours. :hs:

Astro: You make a very good argument. I think you and CyberBullets definitely hit it on the head. I should probably charge by the job (if I get the offer for it).

10. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

sorry, but that looks like poo in 1280x1024. :p

11. deadW8

deadW8 New Member

Ha ha ha...I know. It wasn't mean to be looked at in 1280x1024. :fawk: I only do what I'm told here. :hs:

12. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

A good time to charge by the hour is when you're onsite. When you're onsite, the client sees you're working (or maybe not working) and will agree that you've spent X hours working on the project because they're were able to phsyically account for your time.