How much should I charge to create and manage this website?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by MrFaldyn, Jul 30, 2004.

1. MrFaldyn

MrFaldyn MrFaldyn

My dad is the manager of a restaraunt, so he convinced the owner to let me make the website for this restaraunt :dunno: I'm going to be building it, and maintaining it on a pretty frequent basis I would assume. He's going to be paying me, I just don't know how much he should be paying me. What do you guys think I should charge that is reasonable?

2. ins3cure

ins3cure Old School Noob

How much experience do you have? What type of work is involved in the contract? Have examples of your work?

Regardless of that, charge by the hour and stick to it. Charging a single fee for a web job is taking a big risk.

3. oradii

oradii www.oteampress.com

agreed, by the hour for teh win! And pretty much any time that you work on it after the initial building of it(i.e. maintenance) charge them a minimum of one hour. But also depending on what work needs to be done, any kind of dynamic extras would bump up the price, database bumps up the price.

If they are looking for a static site where they can update a 'news' section or something then you should definitely charge less.

Post more info.

4. MrFaldyn

MrFaldyn MrFaldyn

well, they're talking about having a sytem like pizza hut online where people could order online and have the order sent directly to the kitchen. that seems like it might be out of my league :dunno:

I have never done anything professionally, but I do have the skills to build and manage the site. I know enough HTML that I can handcode if I need to, but I would be using dreamweaver for most of it (like i said, I'm no professional)

5. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

When I do jobs, I always charge by the job. I know my skills well enough that I can do that. I gather requirements and generate a proposal for the client. This includes the requirements, timeline, maintenance costs, hosting costs, development costs, etc. After that, everything is set in stone. The only way changes are made is though maintenance costs or an agreement between the client and myself, which adds cost to their development fee.