WEB How much should I charge? I have no clue :run:

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Necromancer, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

So word of mouth got around and looks like I have my first potential client. I haven't spoke directly with her yet but word got around from a classmate of mine.

She owns a floral company who does pretty well in the area. Here's the website.

http://www.flowerpetalsinc.com/

I have no clue who put it together :hsugh:

She wants a site that has a lot of eye candy and to help generate web business. My skills are decent, enough to put together a nice/presentable looking site.

I'm assuming I should charge for the project but I'd have no clue where to start. I just don't want to have a meeting with her without knowing the going rates or something.

:run:

2. thomor25

thomor25 I make money online....

well its os commerence so its gonna be hard to get away from that. You'll have to work with what she has in place and skin the script to meed her needs. Os comm is a bitch and I would start at 2k for what she wants.

3. maxxpower

maxxpower OG Lauren Crew - Observer OT Supporter

are you planning on designing an entirely new commerce site? Or, looking at just re-designing her oscommerce one?
    option a) would be pretty big cash, option b) would be a pain in the ass LOL.

Me, I would sit down with her and work out as much on paper as you can, come back with your notes and work a price from there. Things like "lots of eye candy" and "generate web business" are hard to fit into the same sentence, let alone a site :)

4. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

:noes:

I haven't used Oscomm.

As of right now, she wants the site redesigned whether that's around Oscomm I'm not sure. A different shopping cart management system can be substituted I'm sure.

5. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

Maybe get rid of the e-commerce scripts all together and have a flashier site with a simple order form considering most of her business will stay local.

6. nashstradamus

nashstradamus New Member

tell her that her site looks like shit. wtf is up with the pink bg?
    show her some well executed floral sites and make her feel she is behind the competition. propose a complete rebuild from the ground up and charge accordingly. add shopping car function and provide the "eye candy" that she is looking for. use exsisting images and take new ones. do logo design, web design, shopping cart, and hosting and charge her $2500 plus monthly fees for hosting and maintenance. also, reemphasize that her current site is terrible.

7. Yuppy

Yuppy Have a seat right there....

charge more than you are worth, dont under value yourself. provide examples. then you wont feel bad when you over-deliver

8. LOLZILLA

LOLZILLA New Member

It's just oscommerce. I don't know why everyone here is saying it's such a big tough bitch. It's really not.

The easiest thing for you would be simply to skin it.

I could make a lot of improvements on the overall look of the interface and not have to deal with the scripting aspect of her store.

9. LOLZILLA

LOLZILLA New Member

I highly advice against this unless you're fairly seasoned.

I thought you were pretty noob? I might be confusing you for someone else.

10. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

I didn't mean flashier as in actionscript flash. I just meant a little more then just a typical run of the mill style layout.

And you're not confusing me with anyone else, I am a noob but I've been working my ass off studying, doing exercises, trying to implement what I've learned etc.

11. LOLZILLA

LOLZILLA New Member

I knew you meant "flashier" as in "just plain nicer looking."

I still recommend using their current ecommerce script and just stylizing it.

You will run into headaches if you try and do your own thing. You WILL, definitely, without a doubt. I'm fairly seasoned at this. :hs:

Unless you have direct involvement and must work with them on a day to day basis, you're better off focusing your time on stylizing the shit out of their oscommerce and making it look really slick as opposed to working on a different solution for their web shop.

It may seem easy, however there are problems associated with porting their current tables into whatever other database you might try.

12. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

Right on, I understand what you're saying and I will take your word for it.

I still haven't had time to check out OScommerce and what it's worth. I haven't seen any eye catching, slicking looking setups with it but I am probably looking in the wrong spot.

I'm setting up a meeting with her sometime this week so can we talk further about what she wants out of her site so I guess I'll go from there.