SRS How much risk to you take?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Toasty, Apr 22, 2005.

1. Toasty

Toasty Naked people have little or no influence on societ

I'm curious how many of you take risks in life? Or are you always calculated?

Risks involving your jobs, your relationships, trips outside of the country, trying new food out, swimming with sharks, etc....

While cautiousness has served me well to an extent in life (I'm still alive for one thing), I've realized only in the past couple of years that I couldn't experience anything without a certain degree of risk. I just say "Screw it...let's go!"

I've envied all those people who can bring out a long list everything they've experienced in life.... one day they'll be lying down on their death beds with the satisfaction they did just about anything life had to offer.

I've crash and burned really bad in a relationship risk I took recently for instance. But, it was some wild ride getting there......

2. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Anyone who is alive is at risk. Some situations bring bigger risks then others, and some thing are just plain irresponsible. There is a scale in it, the higher the risk the bigger the adventure. Its a decision you have to make for yourself with the clear thought that if you take a big risk you shouldn't be suprised to end up dead, like most of them fancy mount Everest climbers who i think are totally irresponsible, and quite frankly i don't moan or care too much when they die there because climbing up there is just basically asking the grim reaper to put you on the train to the life-hereafter. That said, yes your life maby a little boring, but your stil alive today. Its all scale based as i said actually. A docter will never tell you to do things that will hurt your health. But reality is that you have to weigh out the -time you have left on this earth- versus - living a mention worthy life - as you said. How you plan that scale of balance is something you can decide for yourself. And i don't really mind if you are going to take on an adventure, wether it be a relationship or cliff diving , be sure you are aware that there are risks too it. There's another factor too, if you never take a risk you can never take a profit. Just don't stake anything in life that you CANT afford to lose. And i think that is essential.

3. Toasty

Toasty Naked people have little or no influence on societ

Yes I agree. Have you taken leaps? The big ones that feel as if it's a big xroad in our lives where you either take one direction or another and you can't go back once you've done it.

I'd LIKE to say I have....but when I think back.... I don't think I ever did. I was *content*, and *safe*. But bored.....and eventually unsatisfied.

So then you think to yourself..."Shit, there's got to be more then this." I got to toss a few stones out there to see how far they might skip.

And then I see posts from other people here. I see people trapped in similar modes....unwilling or unable to just reach out to something just beyond their field of vision. I just want to go there and push them ahead "Gooo! Do it!"

4. B_RowL

B_RowL OT Supporter

I take risks constantly, but I'm still rational. You cannot succeed without the possibility of failure, but you can still lose. I think it is better to try and fail though, than to never try at all. Some risks are necessary, but do not take risks without considering the outcomes, or do something, just because its risky.

You have to take chances in order to win

5. i calculate my risk. if the outcome from the risk im taking is worth it, and possible, then i'll take the risk.
    otherwise, nah.
    no pain no gain they say. but if there is not enough gain, too much pain, it's not worth it.