A&P How much PP is being done on the majority of shots on OTAP

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by rOOster14, Mar 10, 2009.

1. rOOster14

rOOster14 New Member

I am super curious about this.

As i start shooting more and more after having just got my camera, I feel like im getting discouraged because i feel like my captures do not "pop" like the majority of photos posted on here. That being said, these pictures do not look as good as i would hope straight out of the camera, so im dying to know.

Moreover i understand that these kind of captures are entirely possible, and that is what im working for, i would like to have to do little to absolutely nothing to photos after shooting them, but i have just got to get an idea of how much PP is being done before people post.
    Hope everyone had a nice weekend.

2. TheManLouisianaFace

TheManLouisianaFace and decide!

Most people do a fair amount of PP, if it's RAW, then you have to without a doubt.

Unsharp mask/edge sharpening
    dodge/burning
    histogram levels
    cropping
    vignetting

those are the most popular I'd say.

3. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

99% of my shots just have a tiny bump in contrast, but are otherwise straight out of the camera

1% I actually load into photoshop and really work on

best part about having nice glass is not having to add any sharpness after the fact :bowdown:

4. EWhytsell

EWhytsell New Member

With digital and the linear nature of the sensors we use PP becomes very important to get the most out many some subjects. As for RAW, I haven't taken a JPEG pic for probably 6 months and don't miss them.

5. QWIKSNK

QWIKSNK New Member

I do a bit, if I do a good job taking the photo, it doesnt need to much. Lighting is everything.

but generally in LR i do:

Fix WB
    Adjust exposure if I need to
    add blacks, brightness and contrast.

increase vibrance and saturation

then play with the tone curve (which is the same as levels in PS? :dunno: )

I also apply a GND filter or 3 if need be

6. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

digital post processing is like working in the darkroom.

I play until the idea in my head is on the screen or in the fixer bath.

This involves being as creative as I can, and trying as many things as I need too.

There's not a single tool in photoshop I haven't used.

and this has nothing to do with image quality or 'fixing' things that weren't right when the image was shot.

7. EWhytsell

EWhytsell New Member

This is what I try to do as well. Especially with my astrophotos, landscapes, and other objects. People I haven't really gotten to doing that.

8. TheManLouisianaFace

TheManLouisianaFace and decide!

werd.

I use nik software for things like lomo/holga look, and for black and white conversions.

9. Spurious

Spurious New Member

I can say with near certainty that every single amazing photo, not just A&P, you've seen from the last 5 years has been through Photoshop and had something done with them. The ones that seem super clean without any visual distractions are nearly always simplified in Photoshop. It's just not realistic to to take a landscape photo without a tree out of place or a portrait without a single blemish on their skin.

People who are for, whatever reason, anti-photoshop don't realize how much work the last generation had to do in the darkroom to get the photos they did. Now that we can do in 10 minutes what took them hours and that we have the capability to do so much more, it's cheating for some reason.

That said, post processing is as complicated and skill-based as photography is, and in fact I consider post processing significantly more "artful" than photography. Post processing requires skill, restraint, taste and the ability to think about a photo dynamically. Rule of 10 doesn't apply to post processing.

10. QWIKSNK

QWIKSNK New Member

:werd:

like, wtf, tree out of fucking nowhere on the left

[​IMG]

11. Drunken Karnie Midget

Drunken Karnie Midget In Yeo We Trust, All Others Pay Cash OT Supporter

...i never unsharp mask/sharpening, Histograms, or color dodge/burn. Sharpening i don't really know what i'm doing, and usually wind up fucking something up. Histograms? well, i think i understand the most basics of the concept behind them, but how to use them is beyond me.

Curves and Levels are two different things in PS. Levels basicly sets a limit as to how bright the highlights are, and how dark the shadows can get (the goal being having a true white, and a true black.) essentially its like digging a hole, or building a pile of sand to change the actual value of zero (for shadows) and 100 (for highlights), if zero/100 initially was the ground. Curves makes overall contrast changes, though NEVER over-do this adjustment. Keep it subtle here, as overdoing it even a little bit can quickly ruin a good photo.

12. someonenew

someonenew He's Dangerous

it totally depends on what look you're going for

on the other hand the "hate" for photoshop is strong...yet even since the days of film people have been altering images so I don't really understand it.

That said, models usually get some PP while landscapes and such are usually just curves or saturation etc.

13. The_Eagle_Has_Landed

The_Eagle_Has_Landed New Member

i go something along those lines. to me photography is just art, very subjective to people. when i take a picture before i take it i visualize it in my mind how i want it too look. and when i take the picture i try to come as close to my visualization an i can using different lighting, filters ,exposure and all the numerous aids you have. and if the picture doesnt come out exacaly as i want it to be i adjust it in PP

14. AmosBanks

AmosBanks New Member

I used to just shoot and print, but now I use PS for a few photos each session. It occurred to me that birthday parties are a situation where the horizontal flip can be used (plus a crop).

[​IMG]

15. Zz_3.14_zZ

Zz_3.14_zZ New Member

lol she's mesmerized

16. oliver

oliver New Member

PP is vital to pretty much every picture i would say. Every single picture out of the camera always has one aspect of it that can be touched up to be made a bit nicer, more presentable.

Personally I use LR for PP more than PS because i suck at PS :sad2:. I usually just sharpen it up a bit, adjust levels, maybe a bit of saturation and if the picture shows some sensor dust i'll clone them out in PS. Burn/dodge tool is also effective in alot of urban pictures I've come to realize.

17. Keiphus

Keiphus my dog eats bears

if you're shooting raw and you don't do any PP work, you dont care if your pictures are good or bad. photos can objectively be right or wrong based on their chroma/luma histograms. you have the data there, why not use it?

18. Bloke

Bloke Banned

this is why i like the henri cartier-bresson style. he would do only the simplest things in the darkroom, his goal was getting the negitive right.

19. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

he was a photojournalist. those are kind of the rules of that.

20. Keegan

Keegan New Member

It's typically just WB and a few other minor adjustments in LR. A lot of my sports stuff is on deadline so I'm shooting it, fixing small things and then submitting.

21. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

An unprocessed photo is like a fat chick posing for a beauty product...

22. asdfbunk

asdfbunk A Member OT Supporter

I was thinking more like a hot chick without hair/makeup/proper clothing.