how much mileage is considered high for motorcycles?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Neuro, Apr 8, 2004.

1. Neuro

Neuro OT Supporter

for cars it's usually like 100k and over to be considered high mileage

and when buying decent used cars, you would look for maybe under 50k

what about for motorcycles? in particular, jap bikes like honda, suzuki, and yamaha

2. The Acclude

The Acclude Makin' love is cool, but sometimes she needs her h

good question :o

3. Stylerod

Stylerod 150mph in a swimsuit :eek3:

I would say high mileage for a bike would be 30+k miles. That doesn't mean the engine or anything else might not be in great shape, if a bike is taken care of there is not reason it can't go 50+k miles or a lot more.

4. mnewell

mnewell Lucy.

Depends what kind of bike and how it was taken care of.

My buddy just bought a 98 VFR 800 with over 50k miles on it. It's been well-taken care of and has no problems whatsoever. I would expect that bike to last at least another 50k miles... Hell, there are people in my VFR club with over 100k on their bikes.

My old F2 had over 35k miles on it when I sold it over a year ago. The new owner just emailed me the other day and told me that he has had absolutely zero problems with it since he bought it for me.

It's all about maintenance...

5. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

It really depends on the bike. You'd probably be lucky to get a hard 30k out of something like an R6, but there are tons of VFR's and CBR1100XX's running twice that or more with very few issues.

Hell, over on the XX forums people were getting bored in the "tech" section and started making joke threads complaining about how shitty it was that they had to keep changing their oil.

6. TheRightToRemainSilent

TheRightToRemainSilent I count six shots, nigga.

93 fzr 600

i got it for $1000

34,000k on it and it runs like a top

7. Car54

Car54 Member

I had a 92 secaII with 86,000 on it.. ran fine.

I have a 2000 honda elite scooter with 10,000 miles.. thats hardcore for a 50cc two stroke modified, running wide open for every single mile. I'm on my 4th rear tire and 2nd front. Engine has never been apart (original rings, bearings) (mods are 14mm carb replaced with 19mm, proma expansion exhaust, CVT transmission rebuilt around 8500mi.. engine turns around 9900rpms with the current trans weights and tops out at 48mph downhill and 40-43 flat..) This thing is fun to race at the local indoor gokart track.

[​IMG]

8. Hobie1

Hobie1 No longer self-employed & now hating life

It's hard to say...you can't compare a bike to cars. Many parts on bikes wear out fast by design. Longevity is compromised for performance. Solid lifters, high compression, high rpms, and straight cut gears don't usually make for a long living machine. It's all about how well the bike is maintained and how hard it's ridden. If you own it from day one and ride it softly and are strict with mainenance there is no reason why it can't last a long long time, but if you don't do shit you could be spinning bearings and such after just a few thousand miles...