How much is my Mac Pro worth?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by kdrweez, Sep 15, 2009.

1. kdrweez

kdrweez New Member

2008 model, 8x2.8Ghz, 16GB, 6TB (2x1.5, 4x1), 8800GT.

And lowball numbers will not result in me saying I'll sell it to you for cheap :)

2. quid

quid I Piss Excellence OT Supporter

More than i can afford pal, mac. :wtc:

3. ady

ady New Member

People are searching for 2008 Mac Pros because the 2009 options/price are shitty, but they want good deals. You should be easily able to get $2,500 for it, probably won't get more than $3,000 though. If you have airport on it or its still within the first year of purchase (i.e Applecare can still be extended) make sure you advertise those things.

4. REDandBLACKpack

REDandBLACKpack Active Member

:werd:

5. kdrweez

kdrweez New Member

Nah, it's out of warranty. That low though? I'm seeing some going for like $5k with 8GB of ram and stuff.

6. ady

ady New Member

To buy all that stuff new today you are looking at no more than $4,000. Buyers will often discount the graphics card and large amounts of storage if they aren't looking for it, have it or want something better. You may be able to get as much as $3,500 for it if you find the perfect buyer, but if you are in a rush to offload it I'd be looking for a maximum of around $3,000. It is certainly possible to trick someone in to paying a lot for a used Mac Pro by quoting Apple's prices for memory and storage and offering a bunch of pirated software, people do that a lot. The biggest thing you have going for you is Apple jacking up the 2009 Mac Pro prices and people seeing the older machines as viable choices, but as it's out of warranty it will be less tempting.

From a buyer's perspective you can get a 3.2GHz refurb from Apple, 8800GT, 500GB, 2GB RAM, two optical drives, warranty for $3,300. So if you want top dolalr you have to prey on those who don't really know what they are buying.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009