how much has eating healthy really helped?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by marcom10, Jun 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marcom10

marcom10 ...

So I'm starting to eat healthy like all you buffs on here..the chicken, salmon, 28 almonds, etc daily.

That being said, how much do you think eating healthy has really helped you gain? I have friends that eat shit (like fast food, processed stuff) and still are ripped...does it matter?

:hsd:

2. Tumbles

Tumbles New Member

Overall calories / macros are more important than whether the food is "clean" or "dirty."

I personally feel better physically as well as about myself when I'm not eating tons of crap though. Also get a lot of vitamins / nutrients and its easier to feel satiated from cleaner stuff.

3. Zaffir

Zaffir OT Supporter

Your friends are "ripped" despite eating like shit.

4. marcom10

marcom10 ...

I agree I feel more upbeat when I eat healthier..that should be a given though

5. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

i was ripped at 145 and ate like shit....lean at 200+ requires eating properly unless you have great genetics imo...

6. smb is me

smb is me New Member

I'm cutting now, and trying to get really lean. So obviously eating healthy makes all the difference.

I had been lifting for about a year and got up to 195 @ a sad 20-23%bf. Started getting correct amount of protein (upped the shakes) and eating slightly better and proceeded to get stronger and bigger muscularly speaking, while dropping in weight and body fat. Made a HUUUGE difference in how my body responded.

Its shameful how many years i've wasted not knowing what i was doing. Lifting hard 4-5 times a week and only getting 70-100g of protein a day, wondering why i made gains in size and strength so slowly.

7. marcom10

marcom10 ...

thanks for the input smb...do those online calculators work as far as protein intake? i'm 5'10" 170lbs and lift or run everyday and it recommended 113g protein daily...that sound about right? more less?

8. Foty

Foty Active Member

need more protein

9. marcom10

marcom10 ...

how many shakes do you guys have a day..i've been doing 1-2..prob gonna up it to 4-5

10. Foty

Foty Active Member

:ugh:

No, stick with 1-2. With one coming after you workout, and the other is just a snack to hold you over for a real meal.

11. Zaffir

Zaffir OT Supporter

I wouldn't trust any online calculator.

Take in your lean body weight in terms of protein grams. If you're trying to grow, i'd go for as many grams as you want to weigh in pounds.

12. marcom10

marcom10 ...

Having one with a meal or two?

13. Pringles

Pringles New Member

you don't want to be throwing down shakes with meals because then your wasting it. Your body can only take in so much protein at a time along with vitamins(most shakes have these). I know it's argued, but I think it's around 40-60g of protein an hour. So to eat your normal mean which I assume consists of some lean meat should give you about 30-40g of protein and a shake with another 40g would just go straight to your shit. Leave a shake for times when you can't get a meal in IE maybe during the afternoon at work.

14. smb is me

smb is me New Member

5'11" @ 177 and hopefully dropping for me.

I aim for 200+ protein per day. If anything i'd like to get more. Low Carbing it and want to hold onto as much muscle mass as possible.
    I was doing 5 a day before, but once stated cutting, I was ALWAYS hungry, so I ditched a few enable to get more food and keep my calories low.

(going up to 5 was part of getting my protein up but still not having a great diet, It did help for gains tho.)

one shake for sure right after your workout.
    With you other shake you have two basic choices:
    1) Shake in water two hold you over between meals.
    2) Trick out the shake and make it a meal replacement.

I have two "shake meals" a day. But thats just me, my shake meals are two of my favorites each day. Others don't enjoy them as much, if you're one of those just hit it up in water and eat an extra piece of chicken with your next meal.

15. eljefedetonto

eljefedetonto OT Supporter

the difference from eating out all the time to making healthier meals at home has been pretty astounding. I used to breathe heavy squatting down to pick something up, and when I do eat shitty, I can feel it by the next day.

obviously working out plays a huge role too.

16. danewreed

danewreed OT Supporter

I've eaten out almost exclusively for the past 11 years. this month I've started to cook at home or eat healthy microwaveable meals and feel much better. Nows its a process of keeping this up. I'm currently 5'11, 165 lbs and 15.5% BF.

17. Anders 7

Anders 7 I aim to misbehave OT Supporter

Does not compute

18. RollinDollos

RollinDollos Guest

I never realized how important proper diet was until I started applying it.

19. BoypussY

BoypussY game over.

you are what you eat nigga.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.