How much for a complete car paint job?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Raider007, Nov 16, 2008.

1. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

No clue where to post this... it doesn't fit into one specific car sub-forum, and i figured since it might have to do with paint, i'd ask here...

basically, exterior paint job on a miata, how much am i looking to spend? just a repaint on faded paint, not changing color, so don't care about inside door and engine area...

i hear horrible things about maaco, so what are some other places that i should look at and what exactly should i be looking for? prep, paint, and clear coat?

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

A factory or better quality paint job will run you around $2000-3500 for a Miata. Do not price shop unless you want a crappy paint job. Doing it right takes time and money.

3. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

which is why i'm asking :) i just know to avoid maaco, but don't know what a "normal" paint job cost...

thanks for the help

4. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

if you pay for the proper prep, some Maacos can put out quality work. There's one here that has the ability to put out fantastic paint jobs, jambs and all. Just nobody pays for that.

5. Original

Original OT Supporter

i know you say this every time.. but i just want to say i went with a job that was 1/2 price of every local shop and it turned out excellent (granted everybody wanted around 4k to do a whole car)

SHOP is the big thing to do.. get to know the places.. ask them to show you paint jobs that they have just finished.. make them know that you want the best job possible.

Some people go into these places oblivious, just wanting a cheap repaint, and they'll treat you that way.

6. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

:dunno: Could be the difference due to price won't show up for a few years. Some shops do turn out great work at somewhat less than what other shops charge, but 95% of the time, they don't. My brother's truck got absolutely raped by a shop that charged him about half what other shops were saying and what he got from his insurance company (hail damage).

With any shop, ask them to show you their work outside, in the full sun. Just like with a car you are buying, don't look anyone's work over in the shade.

7. MartyFukstein

MartyFukstein OT Supporter

Because it's a small car, if you don't demand perfection, you could get a great paint job for $1500 if you shop around.

Ask high end automotive repair shops for references.

8. jjski78

jjski78 New Member

Yup. Maaco gets a bad name because they mostly do cars people want prettied up just to sell. I went into a Maaco that actually offered all kinds of stuff you wouldn't expect from them. Like House of Kolor custom paint! I couldn't believe it! They actually did some really good work, but in order to get the good work you had to pay. On their cheapo paint jobs their "prep" is just lightly scuffing your existing paint. Pay for their prep packages and you actually got a pretty nice end result. And they still kill most body shops in price, even for a good paint job.