How much energy does a PC actually consume? v.ughutilitiesbill

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Neuman, Sep 28, 2007.

1. Neuman

Neuman New Member

Just moved out to HI about two months ago and recently received a monthly utility bill for $130. We don't have heat or AC, or ceiling fan(s)...but me and the S/O do run our PCs constantly (me mainly seeding torrents...). my setup is intel dual core with a 650 watt psu...and the S/O has some Athlon XP+ with what i'd assume no more than 350 watt psu. Any ideas how much both of us running our computers on all the time make a difference? is it worth shutting them off when we don't use them?

2. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

there are wattmeters you can put in between your "appliances" that measure how much you are using. you may want to measure your fridge, microwave, etc... as well.

if you're just seeding at night, the power consumption should be minimal.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2007
  3. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

depends on what you pay per kw/hr. Electricity here is cheap, so both my systems (1 core 2 quad and 1 old dual core p4) use about 8 bucks a month worth of power for the 2 of them, and that's running 24/7.

I suspect that you're paying a rather high rate for power. Any idea what it is? I'm paying 5.94cents per hw/hr.

4. fixthe fernback

fixthe fernback New Member

somehow,our apartment of 3 people is using 48kW/hr per day... I have a feeling it's largely due to our computers... We're turning them off at night now :o

5. Kieffer87

Kieffer87 Orly OT Supporter

You must have pay alot per kw/h. I live with 2 other guys in our house. I have a 26" lcd tv I use as my monitor and he has a 42" lcd tv as his monitor. We both also use a home theater receiver for sound which is left on almost 24/7. All 3 of us leave all of our computers on 24/7 just shutting the screens off when not in use.

We also leave our fan in the furnace on 24/7. All in all our utilitiy bill is usually $180. Thats including water.

6. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

7. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

It's not kW/hr. It's kW*hr. A kilowatt is a measurement of the rate of energy usage -- you have to multiply it by a period of time to get an actual quantity of energy.

1kW*hr could be energy used at a rate of 1kW over a period of an hour, or at a rate of .0014kW over a period of a month, or at a rate of 3,600,000kW over a period of a millisecond.

If you're using 48kW*hr a day, that means you're consuming energy at a rate of 2kW. That's not unreasonable for an apartment with two .5kW computers in it, plus other stuff like a microwave and a TV that never really shuts off.

- - -

And yes, you're paying a lot for electricity. Everything is expensive in Hawaii, especially services that have an impact on the environment. The whole damn place is one big nature preserve, whether or not it's "official".

8. +(ll.ll)+

+(ll.ll)+ New Member

9. Neuman

Neuman New Member

This is the readout my utilities company gave me
    date: 9/21
    KWH: 626
    Amount: $138.92
    Days: 29
    KWH/Day: 21.6
    $/Day: $4.79

Charges were broken down as such:
    non-fuel based energy = $48.71
    base fuel energy = $22
    energy cost adjustment = $52.16
    misc fees/surcharge = rest of the bill.

so am i using much energy or just having to pay out the ass for island energy?

10. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

Looks to me that you're paying just over 20 cents per kwh. It's more than likely that unless you moved from california, you're just paying a ton more than you are used to.

11. Neuman

Neuman New Member

lived in BFE ellensburg, WA for my undergrad program. monthly bill was usually around $50. but at the same time, it was BFE, and this is not..

guess we'll try a bit more with the lights and different fridge/dishwasher settings but i don't see this bill dropping too much.

thanks for the info guys

12. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

Let me relay my own experience. I hope you find it helpful.

1. A ceiling fan is a wonderfully efficient way to cool a room. They barely use any power at all. I understand not having A/C, but in Hawaii? You got to get ceiling fans in. Worth every penny.

2. Back in the day.... I had a very small apartment. Incredibly small. I felt my utility bills where too high.
    One thing I was doing was running my PC 24/7 to do distributed processing.
    For an entire month I turned my PC off whenever I wasn't using it.
    No lie. My electric bill dropped $20.
    My living situation is completly different today. I still run the PC 24/7 to do distributed processing. But if the utility bill came into question turning off the PC would be the first thing I would do.

3. Lots of equiptment today use electricity when they are in an 'off' state. If you are turning off the PC when you are not using it, have no fans or AC running and are still having a problem try arranging electrical cords so it is simple to unplug stuff when you are not using them. Just do an inventory of what really doesn't need to be plugged in when you are not using them. TV's, microwaves, etc.

13. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

depending on your light bulbs, you can try switching to CF bulbs, and at 20c per kwh, it will make a huge difference for you.

14. deusexaethera

Which is basically all the stuff I said. Maybe it won't go completely over everyone's heads this time.

15. haargerman

haargerman ayuh.

flourescent lightbulbs.

and I heard of these new "smart" powerstrips which will prevent tv's, radios, etc from drawing power when they're turned off.

I think they were at Lowe's.

16. Neuman

Neuman New Member

living in some 80's inspired place that has a Shitload of light bulbs with dimmers all over the place. IIRC those energy saving bulbs don't dim right?

17. crazybenf

crazybenf Active Member

I wish my electric bill was $130/month. Past 4 months has been $300/mo.

18. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

You can get dimmable CFLs, but they are going to run you about $10+ each.

19. Chris

Chris New Member

20. deusexaethera

The better solution is to have regular CFLs that provide what you would call "dim" lighting, and have dimmable incandescents to provide the range between "dim" and "bright". You don't really want CFLs to provide all the lighting anyway; the quality sucks compared to incandescents.

21. Chris

Chris New Member

I have a house full of CFLs and the only ones that arent as good are the big globe ones that go above the bathroom mirror

22. deusexaethera

I guess you don't have sensitive eyes then. I get massive headaches from fluorescent bulbs, if they're the only thing on in the room, even if there's more than one, which is supposed to prevent the flickering effect from being visible.

Needless to say, I'm not pleased about the idea of making incandescents illegal.

The combination of CFLs and halogens is really the way to go. The CFLs provide a base layer of cheap illumination for the room, and the halogens provide relatively-efficient bright light in the areas that need it.

23. Chris

Chris New Member

LEDs are badass too

24. deusexaethera

They also flicker when connected to A/C, unless they contain a proper 4-way rectifier with a big capacitor to smooth out the bumps. The good LED fixtures have that.

There's still the problem of the light quality, though. White LEDs make even fewer colors of light than CFLs do -- thus far, only incandescent bulbs produce flicker-free, full-spectrum light.

25. Chris

Chris New Member

and coal is the cheapest way to make power, but...