How much does speaker box make a difference?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Prelude_Guy, Oct 3, 2003.

1. Prelude_Guy

Prelude_Guy New Member

I own a Honda Prelude. I dont know anything about audio so this is why i am asking this question. I have a Rockford Fosgate BD1000 Amp and a 12" Rockford Fosgate Power HX2. WHen i bumb it in my car, it seems pretty loud for one 12 but not as loud as i was expecting cuz all my friends say its hella loud. I also have a really crappy and small box for it. Today my friend put his 12" 700 Watt RMS Audiobahn into my car and it bumbs way harder than mine. But he has a really good custome box. He said that mine would be way louder than his if my box is better. COuld a better box make mine louder?? Where could i purchase this kinda box?

2. midnite

midnite OT Supporter

yes it could. make sure you get one that is made to the specs of your sub for enclosure volume.

3. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

A vented enclosure will also yield about 3 more db, but may not sound as good.

4. uflathead

uflathead Guest

an enclosure can make all the difference in the world.

5. 04

04 Guest

Well it depends on the box you are using. If you have some flimsy POS made of 3/8 thick particleboard or something, you will probably loose some performance. However, if you are making your enclosures out of at least 3/4" stock, doing a good job of bracing, it will sound just fine.

Now, you also have to take into account the fact that your woofer needs to be in the right type of enclosure. The size of the enclosure, as well as the type (sealed, vented, bandpass, TL) will make a large difference in the sound at low frequencies.

If for instance, his is say a large vented enclosure, and yours is a small sealed one, the comparision would not be a very good one, as his would most likely have a better potential for more output.

What size is the current box you are using, what type is it, and how is it constructed?

6. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

also if these 2 set ups are not in the same type of car, that might also be a factor. not all car/truck/suv enviroments are created equal.

7. 04

04 Guest

:werd:

8. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

he said he put his friends box/sub in his car.

9. Prelude_Guy

Prelude_Guy New Member

Just found out today that my small box was cracked from the inside because air couldnt escape from it. (something like that) Since i have one 12" Rockford Fosgate Power HX2, does anyone know the perfect box that i can get?

10. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

huh???

you'll want a 1.0 cu ft sealed enclosure, or 1.75 to 4.0 cu ft ported enclosure... be sure to subtract the displacement of the woofer.

11. EaC95z28

EaC95z28 New Member

exaclty the air space of the enclosure means a whoel lot as well as the way the enclosure was built. also the type of box all makes this difference and yes the box is a very importatnt part of the way a sub sounds. you can take a not so good sub and put it in a box made right for it and make it sound really good and you can take an expensive good ass sub but put it in a shitty box and it can sound like shit.