How much does it cost to fix a laptop?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by n1ck54, Jul 15, 2009.

1. n1ck54

n1ck54 New Member

The problem is my screen. There is a huge black mark in the bottom left corner, a small one in the top right, colored vertical lines going down half the screen, and unless its in the exact right position it looks like an xray or negative of a photograph. I have a dell vostro 140 and the screen is 14.1 inch Wide Screen XGA+ LCD Display with TrueLife™. I don't know about compatibility but im assuming I don't have to send it back to dell and can get it replaced at a local shop.

The problem is im really broke and saving up to get it fixed, but i dont want to take it in untill i know i can afford it. Could anyone offer a ballpark figure or what you paid if you were in a similair situation? Thanks in advance and if you do have an answer do you mind including if thats canadian or american dollars? thanks again

2. 7960

7960 New Member

they don't fix an LCD, they replace it.

it's got to be at least $250US. yes, that's a guess, but it's not going to be far off.

3. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

4. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

We charge $50 an hour to do lcd replacement not including the hardware price. It only takes about two hours for me to do one. Vostro LCDs run around 120-200 new depending on where you get it.

Unplug the battery. Remove the sticky tabs that cover the screws, remove the screws then unsnap the casing from the screen. Remove a few more screws from the frame that holds the lcd in place. Remove the cable from the back of it, unplug it from the inverter, replace with said new one and screw it back together.

5. n1ck54

n1ck54 New Member

ok thats not too bad. thanks guys i should be able to get it fixed next week

6. 7960

7960 New Member

try remembering back to the FIRST time you did it.......how'd that go?

I remember it seemed like I needed 8 hands, all about the size of a 4 year old's, because the way the ribbon cable went through the hinge was a stupid design and had to be held *just*right* while snapping in about 6 pieces all at the same time.

7. n1ck54

n1ck54 New Member

:werd: i dont doubt that i could get it done with a guide but id rather pay to have it done quickly and smoothly, especially because if i did fuck something up i couldnt afford to fix it. i think ive gotten lucky and found someone to do it for free :x: but ill find out tomorrow.

8. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

:rofl: I will have to admit the first time I did it I was like shit I need 2 more hands. You get the lcd out from the frame it starts to bend a little but I learned that cable in the back is more durable then you think :coolugh:

Also, it helps if your screwdriver has a magnetic tip on it. Screws are so small if you drop one pain to find it :o

9. SPACECATAZ

SPACECATAZ New Member

Try replacing a touchscreen on a tablet. :rofl:

10. 7960

7960 New Member

I only made this mistake once. Now I

clear the table.
    put down a grid of white printer paper, maybe 3x3.....enough to cover the area.
    get the kids as far away as possible.
    have a cup, bowl, plate, etc handy to put stuff in.

a screw fell and I didn't find it and figured "fuck it, it's just one screw" and kept going. when I heard the crunching sound in the fan, I knew I found the screw.

11. awns729

awns729 New Member

You have to be careful about lost screws. What if it's suck against your motherboard and shorts it out?

Go online and try to find instructions for your specific model laptop. If you feel comfortable go for it. Just go really, really slow and you'll be alright. Computers are much more durable than you might think (sometimes lol). Otherwise you might be able to find someone with a little bit of experience to do it for $20-30/hr. If they have a lot of experience, they might be able to knock it out in under an hour.

12. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

+1

I just replaced the DC power jack on a laptop I picked up. Had to basically disassemble the entire thing and the LCD and it's connections were one of the last pieces to come out. Used a blank paper with screws counted, described and where they go- "Palm Rest Top, Black Short x 4" or "M/B, SS x 4". Really helped as there had to be at least 30 fasteners in 5 variations.

13. awns729

awns729 New Member

Those fishing tackle boxes work fairly well too, and you don't have to worry as much about screws being slid away or anything. Regardless of the method, laptop screws have t obe organized or you're screwed hah.