How much does creatine affect blood pressure?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by quickone, May 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quickone

quickone New Member

I was just at the doctors and they told me my blood pressure was 160/90 and im not sure what the readings mean but apparently thats very high. How much does creating affect this? I take CEE and I take 1.6 grams before and 1.6 grams after workout. and 1.6grams on non workout days

2. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2000 Feb;32(2):291-6.

Acute creatine loading increases fat-free mass, but does not affect blood pressure, plasma creatinine, or CK activity in men and women.

Mihic S, MacDonald JR, McKenzie S, Tarnopolsky MA.

Department of Kinesiology, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada.

Creatine monohydrate (CrM) administration may enhance high intensity exercise performance and increase body mass, yet few studies have examined for potential adverse effects, and no studies have directly considered potential gender differences. PURPOSE: The purpose of this study was to examine the effect of acute creatine supplementation upon total and lean mass and to determine potential side effects in both men and women. METHODS: The effect of acute CrM (20 g x d(-1) x 5 d) administration upon systolic, diastolic, and mean BP, plasma creatinine, plasma CK activity, and body composition was examined in 15 men and 15 women in a randomized, double-blind experiment. Additionally, ischemic isometric handgrip strength was measured before and after CrM or placebo (PL). RESULTS: CrM did not affect blood pressure, plasma creatinine, estimated creatinine clearance, plasma CK activity, or handgrip strength (P > 0.05). In contrast, CrM significantly increased fat-free mass (FFM) and total body mass (P < 0.05) as compared with PL, with no changes in body fat. The observed mass changes were greater for men versus women. CONCLUSIONS: These findings suggest that acute CrM administration does not affect blood pressure, renal function, or plasma CK activity, but increases FFM. The effect of CrM upon FFM may be greater in men as compared with that in women.

PMID: 10694109

or you could just stop taking it for a week and have your blood pressure measured again

3. Fabian

Fabian Active Member

It made me have a heart attack last week and I fucking died. It sucked.

4. quickone

quickone New Member

Im not saying its from creatine but im not sure what else it could be besides living in a very stressful environment

5. quickone

quickone New Member

im jus gonna throw this out there but i take l-glutamine too and I dont think that in any way affects blood pressure but im jus asking in case theres something id ont know

6. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

Wow....that is high.

7. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

It should be something like 120/70.
    Any other info on you ? ie : diet...

8. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

Stress can cause hypertension. Are you in shape? Do you eat healthy? Family history of high blood pressure? You didn't get any bloodwork done? 160/90 is Stage 2 Hypertension....do you have any of these symptoms?

Urinate less than normal.
    Have swelling from fluid buildup in your tissues (edema).
    Feel very tired.
    Lose your appetite or have an unexpected weight loss.
    Feel nauseated or vomit.
    Be either very sleepy or unable to sleep.
    Have headaches or trouble thinking straight.

9. PreemO

PreemO OT Supporter

i donated blood marrow twice. each time they take your blood pressure. first time, according to the automated machine, i was 220/120, second time (1 month later) was 200/115. needless to say, i'm superman

10. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

:rofl:

11. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

Good read.

12. quickone

quickone New Member

Today I had it checked again....130/94. The bottom number raised up by 4. I urinate alot because of all the water i drink. my lymph nodes in my neck have been swollen for about a year. I always feel tired because of work and school. I have a big appetite, i feel naseus at work mostly because of all the dust i inhale it creates post nasil drip. im able to sleep just fine. I have trouble thinking sometimes and I dont get headaches (at least not ones that arent associated with contacts) I do manual labor and I lift(for the past month i have been lifting) so I consider myself to be in decent shape. im 6ft 172lbs. my dads side of the family has a history of high blood pressure my dad has it. But I figure im still too young for that. im 22. I could eat healthier but I try to stay away from fast food. Lets just say i dont live off of candy. I eat chicken, steak, tv dinners when im home. eggs, salad that kind of stuff. I have alot of stress at my house because of my mother being a crazy bitch 24/7 and no, no bloodwork done

13. quickone

quickone New Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.