WEB How much do you think this sort of site would cost to be developed?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Cthalupa, Mar 20, 2008.

1. Cthalupa

Cthalupa New Member

The basics would be rather similar to just about every other social networking site out there. The core idea is communities.

But it would also involve scraping a handful of websites for information, rather than forcing the users to update itself. It would also need multiple levels of privacy for user information, based on various forms of criteria beyond simply "Is this person on my friends list, or not?"

There would also need to be multiple ways to search for people, beyond the usual name/age/area. Much more based on online sort of things (Game servers, games played, etc)

Design wouldn't need to be anything amazing, so not after 2advanced or anything like that. On the whole, I don't think the project would be too complicated, but I'm not entirely positive on how accurate that is. My web development skills don't go much beyond some very basic php stuff :o

Ultimately, I would probably prefer trying to work out some sort of profit sharing deal with the project being done on the side by a developer with free time rather than hiring someone to do it, but I know that everyone out there is an idea man who needs someone who can do the technical side, so I'm not getting my hopes up for that sort of thing.

2. Vailripper

Vailripper Daywalkers have feelings too.

I think it depends alot on how scalable you want it to be. If you want something that can be like facebook, you're looking at alot of money. If you're looking for just the basics, I would say you could get a freelance PHP coder to build it for 1k or so. There is tons of social networking stuff out there already, as well as code for scraping, so it would mostly be a matter of merging all that together.

3. rwdftw

rwdftw Guest

$500K for a U.S. based company.
    $30K for a U.S. based freelancers.
    $10-20K for a India based freelancer.

You actually do need a good design, and I would recommend to do it yourself in photoshop. And redo it like 4-5 times. Will give you some more ideas etc. For social networking sites you need something that looks good.

But its a moot point anyways, because Tomash just copied your idea, and while you are looking for a developer he'll launch his site and give you the middle finger :fawk:

And I honestly don't recommend you to do the profit-sharing deal. Someone who falls for that will be an amateur who'll waste your time and 9 months later tell you to go fuck yourself when they get bored.

4. Cthalupa

Cthalupa New Member

Ultimately, I would hope it would be pretty scalable. Otherwise, I would just go get phpfox and and some basic scraping tools and find someone who could make 'em work together for a couple of bucks :o

Yeah, I'm certainly not saying put a shitty layout on it, but I don't need something that's 100% flashy, etc, like you see from a lot of the professional developers out there.

Edit: And hey, I only gave the basics of what I want to do. Lots of other ideas up my sleeves! :p

5. rwdftw

rwdftw Guest

ideas are worthless until you launch...how do you even plan to compete against the big boys like Facebook or Myspace? "Hay everyone come to my site, it has 12 members"

6. Cthalupa

Cthalupa New Member

I'm not intending to compete with the same market as facebook and myspace. The niche I have in mind is actually one that most people would think of as antisocial - though this isn't really the truth. People like playing games, and they like doing it with people they know. Xfire and Steam are both pretty successful in this regard, but they both stop short of what really could be done with the idea of a community. And I would be building off of them, rather than trying to directly compete.

And I know ideas are worthless without realization. That was in response to the Tomash bit :p (Though, I'm assuming you meant to say thomor)

7. rwdftw

rwdftw Guest

oh right thomor...yeah thats who i meant. But yeah competing in the niches is ftw. Because worst case scenario when you grow you can always expand into more niches.

8. Cthalupa

Cthalupa New Member

Yeah. The main issue is not having the money to get it developed, though. Not while keeping it as scalable as I would like.

9. rwdftw

rwdftw Guest

just build it as is. Having a need to scale is a problem you actually don't mind having, because at that point you'll have the $$ and resources to do it.

10. rogueslg71

rogueslg71 New Member

since there are so many scripts like this out there, can you pay someone to just customize one for you instead of starting from scratch? i tihnk this might save some money? just an idea i dont know much about hiring for stuff like this

11. Cthalupa

Cthalupa New Member

Yes and no. A pretty key part to how I envision it revolves around the various levels of privacy and information being shown, and how you search for it. It would require a pretty major rewrite of the existing stuff to work.