GUN How much do you love the hobby? Would you take a financial hit?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by AB13, Oct 7, 2008.

1. AB13

AB13 New Member

I've really been contemplating the direction of my career lately, and myself as a whole. I love my job from the perspective that, it pays bank. My wife could easily not work if she wanted, but she also has a very solid and steady career that pays bank.

I have an opportunity to work in the shooting industry with a company most everyone here should know. I am still trying to hash out the feasibility of it all. Speaking with my wife, she's behind me 100%, but it would be a considerable hit to my current income.

How much of a financial hit would you take for you to pursue your passion? Things to consider is, I've invested most all of my education towards a field and industry I have given 11 years of my young life to.

I'm already pretty heavily involved in my section and my club with regards to the shooting sports. This would essentially round out the package.

I know a few of you guys actually make your living around this, how's it been? Will I grow to hate it? Regret turning my back to the corporate world?

I never felt like I quite fit in here. Most of my family are blue collar workers. My hands do not look like one of someone that spends most of his time behind a monitor.

Ultimately it is my decision to make, just wanted to solicit varying perspectives this board seems to openly provide.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2008
  2. If I had a chance at a job in the shooting industry that would pay my mortgage and leave me some money to do other stuff, I'd jump all over it. I really don't like IT work much and I'd gladly take a pay cut to do something I enjoy. Now, I wouldn't take a job where I'd have trouble making mortgage payments or going out for dinner every now and then, but I'd love to do something I enjoy.

3. wickedgun

wickedgun New Member

the opportunity was given to me to have a part at what i call my second home now and money was NEVER the issue. honestly the extra cash i make working at the range comes in handy when it comes to pleasing the wife since mine loves to eat out. what i find myself sacrificing the most is time. you will always find ways to make ends meet, but not everyday do opportunities like these come by where you're able to get paid to do something you love...

man i suck at english.

4. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

As cliche as it sounds, if you are passionate about what you do, the differential in cash won't really matter.

5. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Life is too long to work at a job you don't like going to for any reason other than paying the bills. If you have the chance to do something you truly enjoy and it works financially, jump on it as fast as you can.

And tell them to hire me to replace you :big grin:

6. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

I wish I could add something insightful..... But I've got nothing.

What kind of contingency plan would be available if you found things not to be to your liking? In 5 years? 10 Years? That's the only thing that'd I'd be concerned over, but you seem to have quite a resume to fall back on, and yours isn't the only income. Only problem would be staying current in the tech industry. I dunno, I'm just rambling thoughts at this point.

Sincerest best of luck to you AB, in whatever you decide to do.

7. Drunken Karnie Midget

Drunken Karnie Midget In Yeo We Trust, All Others Pay Cash OT Supporter

fucking dawt! If you have an opportunity to do something you love, without having to place yourself in financial hardship, then i've got to ask "what are you waiting for?"

8. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

I came up with the same reasoning in the past year regarding my career. Granted I am still working a little bit for my other employer so as to not fuck him over yet, but being a small business owner has really made my life much more complete and happier as well. Yeah it's more work, sometimes less pay (sometimes more which is really nice), but you get to answer to yourself (or your partner).

I maybe am not giving you my opinion based on the same industry you're looking at it, but I think it's the same type of situation. My wife told me basically "do it now, or spend the rest of your life wondering if you should have". I have her support 200%, which is incredible. I really couldn't have done it without her. AND.....I've come to see now that life is too short, and even if i DO fail, at least I tried. :dunno:

That said, best of luck to you in figuring out which choice is right for you. I know how you feel, and it's not an easy decision in the slightest.

EDIT: sorry if my post was not really in the same realm as to your question. :o

9. Captain Haddock

Captain Haddock Blistering Barnacles OT Supporter

You can always get another desk job, especially with 11 years experience.

Think about how much you'd regret not trying a career path you'll most likely love that just falls in your lap. (Especially while staring at a monitor all day)

10. Painkiller

Painkiller Sometimes remembering is better than forgetting

11. SnakeEater

SnakeEater OT Supporter

i`de be all over it

12. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

"find a job you like and you will not "work" a day in your life"

13. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

I agree with that, but also make sure you won't get "burnt" out on what is now work and not enjoy your weekend hobbies anymore.

Bottom line is you have to be happy tho, if it'll make you happy go for it.

14. johan

johan Active Member

as long as the financial hit isn't too severe, then I say go for it.

Taking on too much of a financial penalty will also result in unhappiness, just of a different sort.

15. smartypants

smartypants New Member

I originally planned on law school, but didn't get in after 5 tries (dumbass).
    I had another job making a lot of money (chef), but I took a pay cut to go into law enforcement.
    I make shit, but I'm happy.

Happy>rich.

16. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Well you know what I did. There are a lot of upside to working in the firearms industry but here are some things you might not of considered. I'll start with the not so great.

When your just a shooter you can do whatever you want. That means if you junk a stage you can throw a fit. If somebody at the range does something uncool you can flip out on him. As a represenative of the company you have to be professional at all times. Sometimes there is a customer that is kind of a pain in the butt. Because they bought some stuff from you they think you have to adopt them and bring them up as a shooter. While you might not mind doing this lets pretend you personally cannot stand the guy. You have to deal with it.

Everyone asks you for prize table loot, free stuff, stuff at a discount. I really don't mind this that much. I'm pretty generous to begin with. You can ask my bartender.:)

whatever gear you lug to the matches, double it. You always have to be ready with demo products, marketing materials, product to sell, etc. because you work in the industry and travel with a lot of gun type shit your a target. I spend a lot of time worrying about where I park my car, speeding and getting pulled over by some chippy with an attitude, or who might pop out of a blind spot and try to jack me. Well you should do this stuff anyway but when you got a lot of guns and some of them are not your own it adds a whole new level of stress.

Lastly you know first hand about all the industry stuff regular shooters don't see. While regular shooters are worried about paying a extra fee for some new federal background check database or not being able to buy this gun or that gun. Your worried if the goverment is going to impose new certifications or taxes that make it impossible for your bussiness to survive. Your worried that they will fish for reasons to take away your FFL. Your worried about overseas compeitiors back dooring your products. People working shady deals against you etc.

So now for the good stuff. First you can write off all your shooting. That means your ammo, match fees, gas to the range, range membership, magazine subcriptions, guns, hotel,etc. Keep your receipts and detailed notes on everything. write off as much as you can.

You get to go to lots of cool trade shows like shot show and meet lots of cool people.

When you show up at the range you have some clout. We got a couple of industry guys here and it's kind of fun to talk bussiness at the range. When we talk there are all kinds of guys trying to listen in or ease drop. When you show up at a big match the staff treats you pretty good because your a "sponser". Everything is "how are you shooting? How do you like the match? We are going for drinks latter you want to come?"

Oh you also get cool prototype stuff to test and stuff at cost or free.

17. Jake!

Jake! Guest

:werd:

18. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

what company?

19. AB13

AB13 New Member

I enjoy the clout, but as some folks have met me in person can tell you, I'm even more personable in person. So I've got all the clout I could want.

As for flipping out, I don't ever really show emotion on the range. I'll drop an F bomb, but that's if I really fuck up a stage. But you'll never see me throw a temper tantrum or get crazy. I've been DQ'd and took it like a man and stuck around to help my squad.

I've gone back on several occasions and have even called a no shoot or penalty on myself. That's just how I am. I'd like to think it's stuff like that that got me nominated as tournament director. And as a member of the NW Section committee and a board member of my home club range, I'm held to a higher standard as it is.

As it stands, I'd be looking at taking a $35-40k hit. So again, I have to ask myself, how much do I really love this. :hs:

20. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

god damn, a shit load of people in the US dont even make that :eek4:

21. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

:wavey::mamoru:

Seriously though, if you are already well off financially, and you both make plenty of money, why not? Worse comes to worse, you can always get back into your current industry.

22. AustinL911

AustinL911 Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

I'm going to go against the grain here and say,

'Never make your hobbie, your job.'

Could this deal possibly drive you away from the hobbie at one point or another?

23. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Also take into account the real hours for both positions. Well paid IT often means "paid okay when you factor in that I'm salaried and work about a billionty hours a week, please take this cell phone or kill me, i miss being off work." Will you be on the road or away from your family more? Will you actually wind up working significantly fewer hours per week?

Besides with that salary range you have to have as much administrative skill and duty as tech. That will give you a lot longer to leave your IT career on hold without it seeming too stale to employers if this doesn't work out.

24. AB13

AB13 New Member

I am the lead Sr. Business Systems Analyst for a good size corp, put it like this, I've been at work since 7am and I'm still on my work laptop. My projects are so ambiguous, you would think they are fucking with you... " so wait, you want me to do what? "

I'm hoping to be able to work from home. But I may be traveling. That hasn't yet been negotiated, but I'm assuming it may. He wants to talk in person.

I don't want to front like it's a big deal or secret, it's for Blade-Tech. Some of you may already know I shoot with Manager of Sales and Marketing.

25. Camp OTE

Camp OTE New Member

I kind of agree with this. It takes a special person who loves one thing enough to dive into it and make it their life and not burn out. The other thing that I would be concerned about is the industry. What if we faced a hard time with some sort of across the board ban? Would that mean losing your job and one of your hobbies?

Good luck with whatever you choose.