WEB how much do you charge for advertising on your site?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Falconer, May 20, 2009.

1. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Some guy contacted me and wants to buy ad space. I don't really get that many visitors, maybe between 1500 and 3000 per month. That's like nothing, like 50-100 per day.

According to what I've read, the going rate seems to be like what works out to $1.50 CPM. In that case, I would charge him between $2.00 and $4.50 per month.

This particular site makes that much per day from adsense on average, so if I were to pull down an adsense banner and put up his ad, I would need to charge him at least $45/mo just to make up for the adsense ad I'm pulling down. Well that's if he wants the banner in the header. I guess I could give him one on the side without having to pull adsense.

I don't think anyone would pay $45 for 3000 views tho, would they?

And I don't really feel like bothering with $2.00 per month.

Maybe I'll just tell him my stats and he'll go away.

I could always lie and say I get 50,000 uniques per month or something but then when he gets 2 hits from my website all month won't he be pissed? Or could I charge him a lot and then buy traffic to go to my site and click his link and go to his site so it looks like he's getting a lot of hits (altho there would be no conversions in that case huh).

2. Pepsi1975

Pepsi1975 Mod of the Year

get on aim fagmo

3. JesterFX

JesterFX New Member

Did he say specifically what type of spot he wanted? banner, text link and such? Is he looking for traffic or for SEO benefits?

If you find out more what he is looking for you can base it on that. SEO links can make you quite a bit more than traffic links if you aren't getting much traffic. As far as how much to charge for that, I personally just charge whatever I can get away with and give them package deals and then decent discounts for renewing when the time comes to keep them there. You can start by seeing what the average SEO links go for as far as your PR and niche and such and then see what he's willing to do.

If he is only interested in traffic links then, again, get whatever you can get away with. Starting with a basic CPM is ok as well as making sure you will make more than you would with your own ads and such. But if he is only looking for traffic and your site is slower then you won't be able to get away with much so try to sell him on a banner and text link bundle explaining the SEO benefits and such.

And of course you could always go with the whole "going rate" thing and tell him what "current advertisers" on the site are already paying and what kind of deal you can give him for trying it out. If you don't have current advertisers then throw up some links/banners for another of your sites or a friends site ;).

4. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

i'm not at home so no aim. i should be back by tomorrow evening.

5. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

I think he just wants a banner but I'm not sure. He told me to call him and gave me his cell number but I prefer to deal with internet people over email.

I think he wants the link because of the subject matter of my site, altho I think he's selling some crap or consultation or life coaching something or other.

The only ads I have up on my page are adsense and this one "check your credit" ad from CJ because they said they'd give me $5 if I put their ad up before 5/10 and emailed them to show them, which I did, but they never paid me, assholes. So I have no "going rate."

I'm thinking about just saying $25 or $30 per month and you get a sidebar banner. I don't want to give him my adsense header banner space because I make $1-3 per day from that already.

6. drpepper

drpepper Active Member

hmmm.... mind pm'ing me the link to your site? pricing really depends on the spot.