how much do interior designers charge to completely decorate a house?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Soren, Jul 27, 2007.

1. Soren

Soren OT Supporter

I mean getting one to go buy furniture, coordinate paint colors and flooring etc.?

And I mean a good one... not some guy straight out of college :squint:

I want to get something like in those magazines and the bachelor pad thread posted on here.

2. cedric

cedric I don't have a contract

it's really hard to gauge something like that. It's almost like buying art. Prolly a few thousand all the way up to the tens of thousands for someone who's done big name projects :dunno:

3. jacksonlan33

jacksonlan33 New Member

ha! my dad runs a architecture / contructrion company. from what i know is that clients choose a designer they favor, after reviewing their past projects. each designer is priced differently (i don't know how pricing is determined). they charge by how much per square feet. that's usually how they charge, by the area. not all designers will want to do your house if the floorplan doesn't suit them. you'll have to get construction done following the designer's floor plans. together you guys will purchase the furniture he recommends etc etc. each designer works differently. do some search on the internet and you should find a decent one.

4. Brujo

Brujo New Member

the architecture/interior design firm i currently work for doesn't have a set rate, per se. it all depends on how involved you want the designer to be. we have travelled to other cities with clients to just buy furniture. other times, we come out with a scheme and layout with product catalogs. your best bet is to find someone local who's work you like and talk to them about it.

5. urbnkitten

urbnkitten New Member

at the place i work its 10 grand down to have us start working on a developed concept. then hourly rates apply for drafting, ordering, research, etc etc. and another 10 at the end of the project. plus the 10-20 percent discount on all materials goes to us, depending on how the contract was negotiated.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2007
  6. cedric

cedric I don't have a contract

link to your firm's website?

7. o.negative

o.negative OT Supporter

damn. never knew it was so expensive.

im on the wrong side of the design world

8. urbnkitten

urbnkitten New Member

we only work in a really small area and only for a certain client base. we're on the high end.

if you want cheap, go to a design school in your area and talk to students. pretty much anyone will do it so they can put it in their resume.