How much do I charge for this web design?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by MrBrotato, Jul 31, 2007.

1. MrBrotato

MrBrotato New Member

I've never sold my work before.. I'm not really sure how much to charge for something like this, it took me a few hours total. I'm building the pages too, they are e-mailing me what to put on the main page and giving me pictures. I'm making a map for the directions page also.

http://www.shorespc.com/susan

Last edited: Jul 31, 2007
  2. Woodmaster

Woodmaster New Member

Around $50.

3. MrBrotato

MrBrotato New Member

$50 or free eh? Do you guys dislike it? I know it is simple but that is why I like it. Any suggested changes?

There is 1 other person in my town who does web design, she quoted me $50 per page (not sure why she charges per page for web design). so I was thinking about going $100-200 or so, there is more work to be done on the other pages as well. An example of my competition: http://sivancondo.com/ she designed that website, notice the "Untitled Document" that is my favorite part. That is a $200 job for her.

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

wow, that looks ubershitty. I would feel ripped off just knowing that someone else paid for that.

5. mondaynightmike

mondaynightmike New Member

6. YourMomOnRyeBun

YourMomOnRyeBun New Member

My $0.02

Are you promoting camp fires or an RV park? I like the picture of the fire, but shouldn't you have a picture of RVs...maybe the ocean that is nearby, etc.?

7. michelin man

michelin man IDB Construction

i'm not going to talk shit but it looks like one of the free templates that my web hosting company provides.

example:
    http://www.ipodly.com/

you can add tabs and content REAL easy AND free

8. Dnepr

Dnepr Guest

Free...

9. MrBrotato

MrBrotato New Member

Going on Monday to get pic of a completed RV site (the place is still under construction). That pic is what will end up on top. Guess I should have made this thread after that pic was up ;).

10. YourMomOnRyeBun

I think that would be more appealing. As an RV owner, I can tell you that a RV park having a website is a TREMENDOUS asset, especially to the "younger" RV crowd that is Internet saavy. I do a google search to find a place to stay when we vacation. And...from this I can tell you there are TONS of horrendous RV park websites out there. I understand that many of these businesses are "Mom and Pop" operations, so I don't really hold it against them, but a good website "sells me" everytime. Especially with good pictures...makes you feel like you are already there on vacation.

11. MrBrotato

MrBrotato New Member

I know, I've been looking around and though the comments here are bad it is a much nicer site than every other park around here has, most of which look like word documents with clip art and saved as .htm lol. Out of all the RV parks that I can find websites for anywhere near here, this one is by far the best: http://www.bluepacificmotel.com/ . Anywho... She has a site already completed with landscaping done and a river in the background, that is going to be the top pic.

Thanks guys :) I think.. I'll keep working on it.

12. YourMomOnRyeBun

Don't take the "comments" as bad...just advice. You asked for it, take it or leave it, know what I mean. Better that we say "this part sucks" than a potential client. Right?

Also, don't have pictures from the 80's...I think that looks bad. Like on the bluepacificmotel.com site. How old are those RV's? I expect Randy Quaid to jump out of one of those.

If the pictures are dated...makes me wonder if the amenities are dated too?

As a slightly above novice web designer and by no means a pro...take my advice from a unique prospective. I show some of my work to my buddies who are professional web designers and graphic designers and they see subtle flaws in the graphics, or text/pic/table alignments, or whatever. Items that to a pro a glaring, but to the average site visitor may not even be noticable unless you point them out. But I am ultra-critical of the CONTENT of the site. Spelling errors (which I am horrible about), shitty pictures, no information, out dated calanders, bad links, etc. THOSE items pop out at me.

13. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

just a suggestion.... make the bottom graphic static to the bottom of the screen and not be repositioned based on page content. That is one thing that always bothers me when navigating through pages

14. happyrobots

happyrobots Ü

charge whatever they're willing to pay. maybe a little under so they feel they "got a deal". make sure you're happy with the price as well.

it's not about the design or coding, it's about how much you can get out of a customer. i've heard stories about people paying thousands for a site like that - know your client.
    also, sell it to them like it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. talk about the seo factor, nice clean code, usability, etc.

15. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

I like a clean site too, but I would want to see at least most of the page used up.

16. crazybenf

crazybenf Active Member

The red is what's killing that layout.

It's not needed.

17. project15

project15 New Member

I just charged $125 for a website I created. First time I charged someone too. I put in about 30 hours total on it for 5 pages with my original design and a photo gallery. My client was pretty happy and will probably give me extra money since I completed it in a week rather than a month that I said it would take.