How much do entry level programming jobs typically pay?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by AznRyda, Dec 3, 2005.

1. AznRyda

AznRyda キモかわいい!

Would it be okay to ask for over 40k? especially in LA?

2. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

Depends on your experience and where you went to school. I think 40k is asking too much, especially if you're in L.A

3. AznRyda

AznRyda キモかわいい!

No experience. Why is it too much? Because there are so many other potential employees here?

The cost of living is pretty high.

4. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

A have a few friends doing comp sci internships this year. They're generally salaried at around 40k/year, but that's in Canadian dollars.

5. samm

samm Next in Line

I made $21/hour at my first internship here in the midwest. I think full time engineers start at around $50k/year at the same company.

6. thisgsx

thisgsx New Member

You should be making more than 40k. A cousin of mine graduated with a BS in Computer Science, he's making 60k out of college. Also located in SoCal. He didnt have any experience as well.

7. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Georgia Tech CS grads get around $40-50K for their first software engineering position in the southeast. 40 would be on the low side, and very low for LA, for a graduate.

But... it depends on what you mean by 'entry level programmer.' What are you skills and qualifications?

8. AznRyda

AznRyda キモかわいい!

I was good in my major and I pick up concepts really quickly and I implement them well, but I just have no work experience. I have 2 degrees as well, but the second is unrelated (East Asian Studies- Japanese). I think I will do well and impress my employers once I get a job, but I am not sure on how to get my foot in the door. All the job listings require people with experience. I was going to get an internship during my college years but I was in Japan studying abroad during my last year so I couldn't pick up anything.

If anything, I'm good with OOP and databases. I've done a lot of things that connect programs with databases. It seems like those skills are in demand, but like I said, everyone requires experience which I don't have. I think I can pick it up fairly quickly once I figure out what kind of problems that companies face and how I can help to resolve them.

9. samm

samm Next in Line

Volunteer your time on an open source project, use that as experience on your resume for the next time you apply for a job.

10. AznRyda

AznRyda キモかわいい!

Should I go to sourceforge.net and just find something I like and try to get started on it just for the experience?

I think it sounds interesting. At least I can do something while I try to find a new job anyways.

11. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

Well, being the new guy that you are, I can tell you your first job(s) are not going to be something you generally want to do. Probably something along the lines of generating reports from databases and what not. You're in LA. I still think you're asking too much. I think you should just work on a couple of your projects while you're job hunting. You could at least show your employers what you are capable of through some of the work you provide, and not work done at your college, that stuff hardly counts.

You should request around 30k. It's not bad but you'll have trouble living on your own in L.A. This is an entry level job, you don't have to be here long term. I'd quit after a year, maybe two if things look well.

12. HardTech

HardTech hungry

:werd:

I made 19 an hour, and full-time entry-level programmers made $50k a year

I'm making $55k when I come in because of my masters degree

13. synthetic

synthetic New Member

hrrrm so someone with good certifications such as cisco ccnp / ccie , choicepoint firewall, etc etc.... can earn as much or more than a masters degree when they come in....heh

(currently debating wether to go on with my masters, only did one sesmter)

14. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

You don't need to request anything. Just apply for two dozen jobs. Send those resumes to anything you find interesting on monster.com of wherever, even if you don't have all the qualifications and experience. Talk to us in two dozen resumes about what you're worth and what your prospects are. Without getting your feet wet, you just don't know. Maybe you'll get a great job that pays alot. Maybe you won't. Find out.

So... get some confidence, and get out there.

15. synthetic

synthetic New Member

i screwed up on job interviews ranging from 29k (lol) a year to 80k a year where i was definitely qualified maybe over qualiftied. cant ask for to much on the first job but i settled somewhere in the middle.

16. HardTech

HardTech hungry

maybe starting out, but somebody with a masters will move up way quicker.

Also, with a certification, I don't they they'll put you in a variety of situations... just the ones where your certification will come in handy.