How much $$ did you save building your PC??

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Achance007, Oct 2, 2003.

1. Achance007

Achance007 Active Member

Everybody talks about how much money they saved building their own PC. But how much do you normally save? I need a new computer soon, and I'm thinking about building one, but if you only save $300 or less then I'll just buy one from a company.

2. Movendi

Movendi Techno-süchtige

-$1000 ... i always want more :hs:

3. 70BirdGirl

70BirdGirl New Member

My mom built my computer for $500, but it was through a program.

I don't have all the stats now, but I know that it's nowhere near most of the shit OTers would put on.

:dunno:

4. BLoG

BLoG Scented Meat

Hard to quantify because my computer was so much better than the retail computers at that time.

I don't build my own computers to save money though. I do it because it is fun, and i like being able to upgrade very often.

5. mucky

mucky .

Saved probably around $800, more or less. A lot of stuff was reused, such as CD-RW, keyboard/mouse, video card, NIC, and OS. But if I had to buy those things, I probably save around $400, more or less.

:hs:

6. sonicsuby

sonicsuby New Member

Probably not much. With the price of mail order systems being so low now, and including monitors and speakers, I think I spent about the same amount for just my PC as I would have for a whole deal from Dell or something. I probably spent about $600 on my system - the benefit for me is that I don't get any proprietary shit hardware and bundled crappy software.

7. Blindsight

Blindsight Guest

There's no way to provide a solid number that you're gauranteed to save... alot of building your own computer relies on: pirating or reusing your operating system, reusing stuff like monitors, video cards, CDROMS, keyboards, mice, etc. I mean the main point is that you can specify exactly what quality shit you need, and have the computer built exactly like you want.

I mean I wouldn't be suprised if you could save a hell of alot more than $300 (especially if you compare to expensive shit like Alienware and top end Dell systems) but for a cheaper computer, say about $500, you're better off getting a bargain-basement Dell system...

8. at most 300.

9. jk

jk Guest

That depends.
    I don't think I will save any money if my OS was legit. Because when you buy a computer, it comes with a lot of "legal" programs.
    Now I save money on building my own computer, and install a bunch of illegal programs on it.
    I saved about 300 bucks the last time, that was 2 years ago.

10. mucky

mucky .

I would not touch those bargain Dells. Specifically, the Dell Dimension 2400 series. The main reason is because of the intregrated video chip on the motherboard and no AGP slot. :ugh:

I can build a system to near the same specs for about the same cost with much better parts and much better future upgradability, this is including a legit copy of the OS.

11. SlickStick

SlickStick New Member

I saved ~$1000, but my machine also runs better then people's dells I compare too, and is yet to crash once in three months :cool:

12. mymail5082

mymail5082 Banned

The main advantage of building your own pc is the fact that you know that every part in it is a standard piece which allows for maximum upgradability. Many of the computers purchased from the big manufacturers use proprietary cases, power supplies, and motherboards instead of standard ATX equipment. Once you want to upgrade one part of this, you have to upgrade it all where as I can swap any ATX mobo into my case and use it and everything else will work.

13. Firewall97

Firewall97 Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

at least 1k if not more

14. sonicsuby

sonicsuby New Member

:werd:

And hardware is so cheap now that warranty isn't that big a deal if you can do your own work.

15. Achance007

Achance007 Active Member

Well I won't be able to reuse any old parts because I don't have any. I only have a dell 8100 laptop now, and I want a gaming machine.

What about one of those gaming machines from another company besides dell, are they upgradable? Something like www.ibuypower.com or something. I was willing to spend upto $3k. I want something that will run the newest games coming out for awhile.

16. krave

krave Active Member

well, if you're just spec shopping...then probably not too much

however, retail manufacturers are normally going to build it as cheap as possible for profit reasons, where when you build it on your own you can pick out quality stuff at the same price

custom > *

17. mucky

mucky .

:eek:

If you were going to spend $3k for a prefab system, then you can easily save $1k if you build your own. List the specs.

18. Yail Bloor

Yail Bloor OT Supporter

its not about money for me, its about getting the components I want

19. vudoodoodoo

vudoodoodoo Guest

Idunno. I've spent alot. Around $1000 or so...

20. vudoodoodoo

vudoodoodoo Guest

Well the equivalent computer from Alienware or something would be like $3000 I think.

21. Wakefield

Wakefield Active Member

Probably 600-800 bucks. But then I added dual monitors, dvd burner, and two more hard drives :hs:

So who knows :dunno:

22. ugopk

ugopk New Member

didn't save that much.. it was a hell a lot faster than what i was suppose to get from factory though :)

23. Shiva Chaos

Shiva Chaos i see boobies!

$2000 saved

of course my PC cost $1500....

24. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

Why did you double post this? :slap:

25. Achance007

Achance007 Active Member

because in the computer section you get answers that stay on topic.
    And I have online ADD, can't wait for somebody to actually go to the computer section. Much faster to post here.