How much CPU power do you need in a gaming rig ??

Discussion in 'Gamers' Pulse' started by AE x 11ty, Jul 1, 2009.

1. AE x 11ty

AE x 11ty Guest

Some people go all out. I'm assuming that's for games that will come in the future, eh ?? But the main power lies in the Video Card, does it not ?? So, a Core 2 Duo should probably be perfect for at least 4 more years, eh ??

I currently have a Pentium 4 3GHz, AGP, DDR1 memory. I've been thinking about spending $100 for a Radeon 3850 for my AGP slot (the best AGP card). But I figure that's too much. I might as well go for the gold. I'm in need of a major update anyhow. If not the processor, then the AGP motherboard. Probably next year, when the new PCI-E and USB 3.0 specifications come out, I will probably go with the i7 920, PCI-E 3.0, DDR3.

The last few days, I've been reading a lot about overclocking. I've never built my own PC, and I've never overclocked. This ought to be interesting. Hopefully there is an i7 price drop when the Core i9 comes out next year.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2009
  2. procrastinator

procrastinator New Member

Depends on the game. Some games are more CPU limited due to physics calculations etc, arma 2 for example. Other games are limited by the graphics card.

3. Boomdart

Boomdart New Member

My q6600 has never failed me yet at 1680x1050 (monitor rez) with full graphics on everything, including oblivion, psychonauts, need for speed: undercover/carbon, uhm...Test drive unlimited, Spore, and the most amazing of all, Sim City Societies (this game would drag ass on your system, get more than 1000 people in your city and you better have some good gear in your comp to play w/o being a slideshow...basically the reason I upgraded to what I have now was for that game)

The only game that does give me trouble is Marvel Ultimate Alliance. I can't see why either, but it could just be all the flashing lights explosions and people flying around the screen that makes it look bad.

Full system: q6600 stock w/ zerocool fan or something, 4gb ram whatever the best my mobo can use, a cheap mobo but it supported the 1333mhz bus which some didn't, and a 9800gt 512mb video card. audigy 2 sound card from my last computer.

I imagine building my computer today would be super cheap, and it's still pretty good. For the price though I'd pay a few extra bucks and get a GTX series video card.

4. Boomdart

Boomdart New Member

I've thought about overclocking, but I've also thought about how pointless it is. If you're getting a new computer and it's better than mine, I can't imagine it needing to be more powerful. My framerates are fine and smooth, dunno what they are but they're not skipping on anything I've run yet.

couldn't see increasing the temp of your cpu 10 degrees for a few extra fps.

Procrastinator is right too, just thought i'd add that in.

5. Los

Los Active Member

Core 2 or better.

6. poin

poin OT Supporter

About 14.

7. Wolf Demon

Wolf Demon HURF DURF OT Supporter

Sim City Societies :bowrofl:

8. Elusid

Elusid New Member

I didn't think the CPU made THAT much of a difference in games but I was running a Q6600 with a 4870X2 with Crysis at 1920x1200 stock and when I OCd my CPU I got a good 40-50% increase in FSB. Just go I7, it's not that much more expensive than 775 but if you wanted to do 775 a Q6600 goes for $200 now on newegg

9. Elusid

Elusid New Member

That's why you liquid cool ;) My OCd Q6600 @ 3.4GHz ran at less than 40C full load.

10. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

I have a stock Q6600 I'd like to overlock but I never looked into how. With 4GB of RAM and an 8800GTS 512MB GPU, I'd say my biggest bottleneck right now is the graphics card. So I'd say if you have a high-end dual core of a quad core, you won't need a new CPU for a while. I've had mine for nearly 2 years and I can see this build lasting another 2 years with a high-end graphics card upgrade. :coold:... at least thats what I'm hoping

11. Los

Los Active Member

When you're moving from a late C2D or early Quad core model, the differences aren't as noticable to a mid-low range rig vs replacing a P4 (Intel threw that architecture to the wayside) with an E or Q series cpu. The TS will see tremendous gains on games like CoD4 and TF2 with the newer processor and/or better GPU vs his old stuff.

12. lancer

lancer OT Supporter

I have an e8500, I dont see the need to upgrade for quite a while since it can run most games. I need a new heatsink though. this stock shit isnt going to fly.

13. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

:werd: I jumped from a Pentium 4 with an Nvidia 6600 GPU and 512MB of RAM to my current Q6600/880GTS 512/4GBDDR2 880Mhz... the jump is ridiculous, you'll cream your pants when you upgrade. My P4 slowed down so easily after a fresh format.... with my current build, I have never felt the need to format because system performance was bogged down, and it's always speedy. Not sure if I'm taking that correlation as causation in a valid way but ... either way, you'll be happy with a dual core or quad core. A lot of people will tell you to wait for Q1 2010 when a bunch of new shit is supposed to be coming out... you can spend a long time waiting for tech though, so fuck that.

14. Los

Los Active Member

Are you overclocking? If not, then wtf?

15. DaninTexas

DaninTexas OT Supporter

I have the following

Core 2 Duo E6700
    2 gig ram
    Win XP Pro SP 3
    ATI HD 4850

Not overclocked at all

I run everything at 1920x1080 resolution on a 22" Acer Monitor

Currently the highest demanding game I run is Arma 2.

I have never had an issue with this computer and you could prob duplicate it for around $500 now I am guessing. Its over a year old now. Going to get a quad processor in it this Christmas and then call it quits with upgrades for 2 years and then buy my next machine.

16. lancer

lancer OT Supporter

will be as soon as I get the heatsink. my cpu runs really hot right now because texas is hot as balls.

17. MSTRBKR

MSTRBKR New Member

Core 2 Duo @ 3.15GHz
    2GB of memory
    8800GT

I run Fallout 3 on High settings @ 1920 x 1200 at 40 fps.

Don't get anything less than Core 2 Duo, but Quad core can be had very cheaply now. Go quad.

18. Rumble

Rumble OT Supporter

as much as possible

19. AE x 11ty

AE x 11ty Guest

By overclocking an i7 2.66GHz CPU to 3.60GHz with the stock fan/heat sink, you're basically turning a $300 CPU into a $1,000 CPU. From what I understand, it starts to get unstable in the 3.8 - 4.0 range with the stock fan/heat sink.

20. Boomdart

Boomdart New Member

Yeah...
    Challenge = 0

when I get really stoned I just like to watch my little people walk around and see what they do :o

I have one town with like, 30,000 people in it.

my last computer could barely manage 300 people in a town before it turned into a hideous slideslow.

21. Los

Los Active Member

AC nigga