How much can your heart handle?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by GuOD, Mar 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GuOD

GuOD mcflurry diet

I'm asking this question for my friend because he's a little concered about his weight and how his organs will be affected. Obviously taller people are at a disadvantage because they need to put on more weight to look full but their organs aren't any stronger than a short persons.

My friend is 6'4" and about 225 lbs as of right now (fairly lean). He wants to get bigger and plans to go to about 240 bulking but he was wondering how safe it is for him long-term health wise?

Any input/links to articles is greatly appreciated!

2. Hpower

Hpower GO GATORS

Well have him check his cholesterol, BP, glucose I would add PSA for when he gets older and other parameters to make sure he is healthy. As long as he is lean it shouldn't be a problem.

I did see a study and read a few things about it that said people who lived to be 100 or more were skinny people all there lives. Also there was a study with mice and the ones that were on a restricted calorie diet lived longer. But as long as he checks the things above, goes to the doc, exercises he should be alright.

3. GuOD

GuOD mcflurry diet

Sorry, what's PSA?

I don't think he's worried about making it all the way to 100 but I don't think he wants to drastically shorten his life. I'm assuming that by being tall he's already at a disadvantage! haha

Can those tests actually detect if his heart is healthy? Would doing cardio 2-3x a week actually benefit him in this situation?

4. Kotu

Kotu OT Supporter

I'm a bit curious about this myself... How much weight is too much for my heart to handle? 5'10, hoping to be a lean 205 in a year...

5. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

i don't want to live to 100, so i don't care

6. nobody

nobody New Member

until you can't find your junk under your fat rolls, i wouldn't lose any sleep over your heart being able to support your weight. it's an incredible muscle.

7. themadpaki

themadpaki There is no money. OT Supporter

8. Ozner

Ozner Offical TSL OP Leghumper

PSA is the place that the doctor goes when you turn 40. Or when that really freaky girl trys to slip it in cause she SWEARS it makes it soo much better.

9. Hpower

Hpower GO GATORS

well all those tests are very good indications of your heart. You do know your heart is a muscle. What happens when you work your muscles? They grow and get stronger. You can get a cardiac stress test done at the doc, which is where they hook you to monitors and put you on a tread mill. But basically cardiac disease is the number 1 killer in the country, after that it is cancer. Exercise, like cardio and staying lean will go along way to keep someone healthing and living along life. Take antioxidents to help with the cancer, stay away from carcinogens. PSA is prostate specific antigen test, basically prostate cancer is the number 1 cancer for males.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.