MMA How much can I cut in a month.

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Bausk, Jun 26, 2007.

1. Bausk

Bausk New Member

I'm training 3 hours a day 4 days a week and I'm going to be running in my off days. I'm eating well and I won't cheat at all in this time period. I want to drop from 235 to "near" 205 in a little over a month to hopefully compete. How safe or obtainable is that goal?

2. Ricey McRicerton

Ricey McRicerton New Member

You want to weigh in at 205 in a month? Sure, that's doable, but you're probably going to have to cut close to 10 lbs even if you do your best to lose all the weight you can beforehand.

3. Bausk

Bausk New Member

Yeah it'll be quite an experience, I never wrestled so I've never had to cut weight for an event.

4. Bausk

Bausk New Member

It's not a huge deal if I don't... I'll fight HW. It's a small local show with probably a small talent pool. If I don't make it they will match me up with someone as close to my weight as possible, but I also roll and spar with 270 pounders every day so I'm not without experience worst case if there is a few lb's weight difference.

If they end up trying to match me up with someone 20lbs heavier I just won't fight, and will just keep working for the next one at 205. :)

5. Bausk

Bausk New Member

Yeah fuck it. :rofl:

6. Optamix

Optamix New Member

I'm gonna be down 10lbs by Friday at 7.

You can do it if its all water weight.

7. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

When/if I ever fight I'm gonna be at 170. I'd never cut to 155.

In high school my coach wanted me to wrestle at 145, even though I was 6ft tall. I cut down to it for a few matches only to lose in the first minute because I was so exhausted.

8. Bausk

Bausk New Member

Honestly with my frame and build I could fight at 185... maybe in a year. I'm just fat. :o

I think I could get down to 205 pretty easily I just need enough time but I don't know if I could in a month. We'll see. But yeah I think 185 will be my ultimate goal if I stick with this crazy MMA thing for longer than 6 months this time. :rofl:

9. Searcher

Searcher New Member

You can do it if you watch your caloric intake. 1800 calories a day maximum. You will have a hard time adjusting to it, but it is feasible.

10. miek

miek New Member

Good luck dude. I'm starting to feel bad for everyone after reading these weight cutting threads :rofl:

11. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

very do able but not easy

obvious answers
    very strict diet between now and then
    cardio + weights

then for that final 15 pounds or so at the end of your month sweatsuit jogs and sauna jumping jacks until your eyes roll back and you pass out lol, fun stuff man, i don't envy you for this shit at all, i wrestled all thru school and swore i'd never do this shit again lol good luck man, be safe with it though, if you do some crazy sauna cardio shit when you dehydrated already please have someone with you just in case

12. Bausk

Bausk New Member

I just found out I have almost 2 weeks longer than I anticipated, so that will help. So almost 2 months total.

And weigh ins are the day of, so if I come in heavy I will just fight at that weight. I called the promoter today and told him I'm aiming for 205, but it's a small promotion that is very amatuer, so I might get sized up against someone bigger or smaller depending on who shows up unless we can line someone up ahead of time (he said it was good that I gave this much notice). So I'll just keep working hard and dieting and see where that gets me in 7 weeks.

13. Placebo

Placebo New Member

I don't know what your conditioning is right now, but whenever I have to cut a ton of weight I go pretty much no carbs, all good fats and protein. Tons of water and training twice a day. I do 6 days a week personally, but I always train hard. Most people should stick to something like 4 days a week. I typically do training, hiit, complexes, or running during those workouts.

I've had people cut a ton of weight and be in great shape doing this, but you have to be careful and understand that you will put a lot of it back on.

What comp you doing?