GUN how much bullet setback is actually ok?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Powderburn, Dec 6, 2006.

1. Powderburn

Powderburn New Member

ive got some .45acp hardball rounds in 50 round boxes. I noticed recently when i looked at them that some of them had some quality control issues and the bullet seating depths are all staggered and they arent very consistent in about 3 out of 10 boxes i bought in the same lot number.

I went through them last night plucking out the rounds i felt werent safe to shoot and put them in a plastic bag to deal with later and reboxed the acceptable rounds together. My question is just how much bullet setback is okay and how much is too much? I basically took a known good round and compared it to other iffy rounds but i really dont know just how much i could get away with to avoid blowing up the chamber in my gun.

2. Painkiller

Painkiller The Synarchy of Molten Bones

with pistols it's not very safe.

3. Furner

Furner New Member

1.261 +/- .005 inches

that is the original GI spec anyways.

edit: if they are too far off to shoot, if you want you can send them to me. ill pull them and reload.

4. Goat

Goat That crack is really moreish

Or you could be a nice guy and just set them deeper and send them back to him :rofl:

5. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

What brand ammo? I had similar problems with a case of IMI 5.56 a few years back they were seated to deep some of them had fallen inside the brass before i opened the box.

6. Furner

Furner New Member

not if they are already too short. i could pull the bullet and reseat, but i would have to resize the case first, which would require repriming, and i wouldnt put a known primer with an unknown powder. basically all that is good is the brass. im just offering a better alternative to throwing the rounds in the trash.

7. Powderburn

Powderburn New Member

believe it or not these are CCI Blazer Brass rounds. It really surprised me how poorly they were made because up till these few boxes ive used CCI exclusively in both aluminum and brass and they are pretty much all i prefer to use. The aluminum rounds always look top notch too. The latest brass cased CCI ive been getting hasnt looked too hot in comparison. tsk tsk to CCI/speer:nono:

8. Goat

Goat That crack is really moreish

You wouldn't necessarily have to reprime to resize, I've resized primed rifle brass before just by simply removing the decapping pin. I'm not sure about pistol brass though, as I don't own one. I'm also not sure if you'd have to even resize, as the necks are expanded by the pressure of burning powder, not the seating of the bullet.

9. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

I've pulled and re-seated bullets before with no negative effects but then again I don't reload for pistols so maybe I'm missing something.

10. Furner

Furner New Member

the problem is you dont know what primer is in there. chances are its just a typical primer, but you dont know, therefor you dont know for sure what powder charge to use. the point is that all that is usable is the bullet and brass, since the powder and primer are unidentified.

11. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

My point is you can probably remove the bullet and reseat it with said powder and primer still intact (then again maybe you're using a mallet type puller which would make this really annoying and hard)

12. Furner

Furner New Member

oh yeah, i get your point now. i guess if the poster is having a big problem with this, a cheap lee handloader and a set of .45 dies and a puller would be worth it in comparison to throwing away all those bullets then

13. Powderburn

Powderburn New Member

all in all ive got about 25 rounds out of 150 rounds that i consider unsafe to use. while this displeases me because .45 is so friggin expensive to begin with, im not gonna lose sleep over it either. My gf's dad informed me hes got a reloading press and some various equipment so we may make a project of it one day soon. im just not gonna throw away the ammo cuz the brass and bullets are still usable.