How much am I in for?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Original, Sep 29, 2004.

1. Original

Original OT Supporter

buying a stereo (updated)

It's about time I finally start working more to make money for the stereo on want to put in my car, but I'm not sure what it's all gonna take (eg: how many amps will I need, etc.)

Is it worth it to put new pairs speakers in the front & rear of the car. At first I was thinking, get just the front ones, but a second pair in the back would sound better, does it make a difference?

so far what I've chosen:

$110 Pioneer InDash 50watt x 4 channel player
    $99 (pair) Infinity 6 1/2" tweater w/150 watts peak
    $400 Audiobahn Dual Subwoofer Bandpass System - 2 12" subs - 800 watt RMS

Now getting the power from the amps will start costing the big bucks. Am I getting myself into too much for my first stereo? I mean, how much money worth of amps will i need for 950 watts of power. Two 400's and a 150, that'll be over $1000 alone.

Everything I've chosen got above average reviews (on average everything was about 4.4/5) because I want quality music, but I dunno how much I should be spending on my first system.

thanks

Last edited: Oct 2, 2004
  2. Scott P

Scott P I are lurking through. . .

first of all there is no such thing as too much for your first stereo. i have done "first systems" for guys who spent thousands. that being said without knowing model numbers, giving more specific recommondations is a little hard. Anyway those infinity speakers won't do 150 rms. you would more than likely blow them the second you tried to put any tones lower than 80hz with that much power. I would suggest looking for a nice 50x4 for full range amp. If you want quality at a decent price i would suggest looking at MTX amps. you can get a 4ch amp and a sub amp for about $630.

3. NINELIVEZ

NINELIVEZ New Member

you should consider taking the money that you were planning to spend on a 4 channel amp and put it towards a better headunit, then just run your speakers off your headunit. good quality headuints are pushing pretty good wattage these days. then all you need is 1 amp for your subs. thats what i did in my daily ride and it sounds great for what i spent on it.
    if you still want to run a 4 channel amp i would recommend better quality stuff.

Multiple amps,audiobahn subs, and a cheap pioneer deck just dont sound like a good combo

4. Original

Original OT Supporter

Hmm.. I think i have some solid choices now, but you guys might still disagree.

Panasonic Cd Player (i have a feeling you guys will advise something other than Panasonic.. $179)
    • 50 watts x 4 peak power
    • Two pre-amp outputs
    • MP3/WMA playback • Detachable faceplate
    • Remote control
    • CD changer controls

Alpine 12" 1000-Watt Subwoofer
    • 12" subwoofer
    • 1000 watts peak power (300 W RMS) • Kevlar reinforced cone
    • 24Hz - 2kHz

MTX Mono-Channel Amplifier
    • 300 watts RMS at 4 ohms
    • Mono-channel • Low pass filter
    • Speaker level inputs

Alpine 6-1/2" Speakers
    • 6-1/2"speakers
    • Component system • 250 watts peak power (recommended 2ch - 50w amp)
    • 35Hz-30kHz

Audiobahn 2-Channel Amplifier
    • 50 watts RMS at 4 ohms
    • 2-channel • High and low pass filters
    • Speaker-level inputs

Those are the electronics besides the bass enclosers, wires, etc.

Im going with just the two door speakers, and when I want more sound I'll buy the others. These speakers have plenty of power to satisfy me for now.

I would have gotten both the same brand of amps and such, but I chose basically on what got better ratings. What do you guys think.

btw - How much do component systems make a difference. It would be nice to have the tweeters higher up than the woofers.

Sheesh, good bye next summer, work here I come. :o

5. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

no. i would never run speakers of the headunit it @ all possible.

get an exterior amplifier if @ all possible.

6. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

this sounds pretty decent, first off. I'd get an mtx amp over the audiobahn stuff (not really a fan of them). Secondly, components are really nice as the dont come with a $0.50 capacitor crossover but they are also quite a bit more expensive. If you choose this route i'd but the tweeters as close to the midbass driver as possible for better imaging. And as for the subbox, if you are decent with a saw, glue, nails, etc. build the box yourself, you save money, and that way you can also design the box meant for that sub.