how many run before you guys go to work?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by illmaticnyc, Aug 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. illmaticnyc

illmaticnyc New Member

i got up 45 min earlier today to run two miles. it was hard but it felt great.

now is there a differnece between doing 40 min straight vs 20 min twice a day?

2. MiseryIndex

MiseryIndex i never know why. i only know who. Moderator

can. i can't. i get up 5:30 as is. i'd like to though.

3. Searcher

Searcher New Member

I am thinking about starting this pretty soon. Running from 6-7. It will probably be more of a lite jog. Hopefully it will make a dramatic improvement if I stick with it.

4. ralyks

ralyks New Member

5. illmaticnyc

illmaticnyc New Member

did you burn a lot of body fat?

6. SteveO

SteveO Guest

man you guys are lucky to be able to run 4+ miles. I really need to get my ass in gear and start running. I'm going to go run a mile right now

how did you guys work your way up? (this coming from a man who can barely run a 1/2 mile)

7. SteveO

SteveO Guest

ugh I just lack motivation because I only see cardio as a way to make me eat more calories than I have to. At the same time I need to get in shape for fire school and to be able to run 3 miles like it's nothing. No motivation for a 6 pack, it's already there and I don't even run

I guess I'm gonna give this a shot, cardio 3x a week
    Week 1
    1 mile
    Week 2
    1.5 miles
    Week 3
    2 miles
    Week 4
    2.5 miles
    Week 5
    3 miles
    Week 6
    3 miles

8. JustBlazin

JustBlazin Ironic Punishment

i set a goal for myself, i never was able to run much more than a KM and a half straight, then i signed up for 10KM 2 months from that point in time. I forced myself to run, i would run really late at night at like 2am or 3am, just so i was alone and had no distractions. I would run intervals and steadily increase my time. By race time i had yet to run a full 10KM yet, (the most i had ran previously had been 8) but i figured if i could run 8, i could finish 10. I finished without stopping with a time of 58:58. Now due to the heat I'll only run about 5-7KM a few times a week.
    If you want to increase your ability to run distance I really suggest reading http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASIN/1570281823/qid=1123596437/sr=8-3/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i3_xgl74/702-9306118-2692029
    you'll find running distances is a lot more mental than anything

9. SteveO

SteveO Guest

I can handle the 1 mile cardio wise, but my shins are going to have to work up to it. I haven't ran since I was 150 lbs, now I am pushing 230+... it's probably why this shit is happening. Usually I just bike or very occasionally jump rope

10. SteveO

SteveO Guest

ok well holy shit, just got back from my run

~.4 mi I couldn't even run anymore. The pain was hurting beyond bearable, it felt like my shins were cracking, and as of right now... bumps are running all the way up the outside of my calves, and it fucking HURTS! I am going to ice it really quick, but this shit is out of fucking control. I'm going to get a pair of running shoes right now, if this doesn't work... well God only knows what happens next

11. JustBlazin

definitely get a new pair of shoes if you're getting shin splints that bad. i suggest the asics 1100's, but go to a running store and have them analyze your gait and tell them that you get bad shin splints

12. SteveO

SteveO Guest

yup, just got back. They got me in a pair of addidas with shocks, not sure of the exact name/model. Feel good, nice and tight and very soft

13. twofourtysx

twofourtysx New Member

How true is it about that the brisk walk is just as good as jogging?

14. JustBlazin

depends on what your target heart rate is, pace, etc.

15. 2000GT

2000GT Active Member

Holy shit... when did you hit 230+?!?!? I remember when you were 210!! Good for you bro.

As for the shin issue, I had to stop playing rugby cause of it. I stopped running and playing sports when I was 18-19 and weighed 130-140 pounds. I trained and played sports here and there, but mainly lifted and ate. I started back at soccer and rugby at 210 about 3 years later and now I have a stress fracture in my shin about an inch long and I can only sprint or jog on grass. Running stairs sucks sometimes it hurts so bad.

I feel your pain bro.

16. SteveO

SteveO Guest

I've been slowly gaining weight, and a little cycle of s1 did me about 10 lbs.

I seriously doubt the fire department will be very lenient on someone who claims to have an injury to their shin, or "shin splints" They'd probably just laugh and say to find a new profession. So somehow there has gotta be a way to get around this

17. Leb_CRX

Leb_CRX OT's resident terrorist

SteveO, I am sure the shoes will do ya wonder, update us when you run with them on

BTW did they check how you step and got you corrective shoes, not just pretty ones?

18. GND

GND BBP! OT Supporter

I do sometimes. :)

19. SteveO

SteveO Guest

they didn't really check my step or anything, she just got me in the ones I felt the most comfortable in. If I don't like them, I have 30 days to exchange them

20. WPInerd

WPInerd New Member

4 miles in the morning and 4 miles in the afternoon :bigthumb:

21. ralyks

ralyks New Member

Toe raises + shin stretches before running, like 10minutes of it. Do the same afterwards and ice it. I was getting horrible shin splints too and that seems to keep them at bay.

22. Leb_CRX

Leb_CRX OT's resident terrorist

I was having problems with my shin splints, a lot of people on OT helped me out...but member Grandpa really helped me out here...turns out he owned a running store and was really knowledgable, so if you still have probs, try pmin him...but basically if you take a used pair of shoes now and look under it, IT MIGHT be that you step on an angle...a lot of people do and don't know it...like \ or / ... check under an older shoe and depending on the wear marks you will know

now usually with speciality shoe stores, they look at a used pair of shoes and watch how you step and depending on how you do it, they offset it to be straight..

now she didn't, is kind of weird, but if your problem remains return them and talk to someone who really knows what he's doing

in the meantime, try running on grass if you can, if you can't, ashphalt, and 3rd concreat...which is the worst

23. SteveO

SteveO Guest

do you have any examples of shin stretches?

24. SteveO

SteveO Guest

judging from my old shoes, no angle but it seemed like the toe of it wore much faster than the heal (I wore these shoes when I was roofing, which would possibly explain that though)

25. DCyamaha

DCyamaha O-line found

I did it for one week, and I hated it. I don't have enough energy for it and even after I take a shower I still get sweaty, even if the shower is on the cooler side.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.