SRS How many people choose to take medication?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by BradUF, Mar 6, 2005.

1. BradUF

BradUF Guest

Honestly everyone I know that has ever took anything for "depression" is only on the damn medication because the choice was made for them. Almost everone was forced to go to some crappy doctor who throw pills at the problem because there parnets think there kid is to lazy, sleeps to much or is weird. So they take them to the doctor and with a 10 question quiz decides its times to give them high dose of Effexor. Really who the fuck goes. I am depressed and I need some fucking medication. I know the only reason I was on medication at once was because I was lied to by doctors and my mom. They told me it was cough syrup or some bullshit. Ritalin, Liquid form. Also whats sad about this is parnets, teachers and doctors get these kids hooked on a life of SSRI's. I really think kids should have more of a choice on something thats going to alter who they are.

2. yawgmoth

yawgmoth nine > ten OT Supporter

I chose to.

3. Hootahz314

Hootahz314 I have daddy issues

As one of the above mentioned parents I must defend atleast my actions. My son is 7 years old, ever since he was in preschool his teachers have had problems with keeping is attention and making sure he was doing what it was that he needed to do. He would talk in class, focus on other things, not do his school work and so on. After receiving 3 phone calls from his teacher within the first month of school this year I decided to have him tested for ADHD. He was diagnosed with it so I decided to try Adderall for 1 month, if I did not see any results I would take him off.. I just got his second report card and the progress is incredible to say the least. He went from a preschool reading level to a 2nd grade level, his attention span has improved greatly and overall he isn't fidgety and alot more calm. While I he is young enough for me to make his decisions for him I choose to have him on medication. If he doesn't grow out of this then I would hope that he looks back on the day he received his first great report card and make the right decision.

EDIT: He doesn't take his Adderall over the weekends or when he is out of school.

4. civicmon

civicmon got all my game from the streets of california.

I do.. it's helped me a lot...

5. raded

raded New Member

medication helped me a lot. I was taking welbutrin for depression up until the early summer. I was having some weird problems with anxiety, so I stopped taking it. doctor recommended that I not take it any more. I still have some with me (lowest dose possible) as well as ADD medication (dexedrine), but I don't seem to need either.

6. BradUF

BradUF Guest

Well my parnets made the choice to have me on crap for ADD and it was awful. I felt changed, I could not sleep or eat. Hey but the plus was my 6th grade reading level when I was 13, went to a college reading lvl and some how my IQ went up 8 points. As soon as I was big enough so no doctor could shove pills down my throat. I stop. Maybe I am going slow in school and my grades are not the best but I am making it. I am 20 and still in high school but at least I am the way god made me. I think its such a joke the school considers you disable for ADD. My mom telling them I had ADD was a big mistake. They had me in fucking ESE classes and ESE programs for years.

7. BradUF

BradUF Guest

Why?? WTF? Pills for ADD or depression? You know the side effects suck, alot. And if you really want to get pills for any of that crap its so easy. You can either 1) Buy them off of someone who has ADD or depression 2) Go to a doctor and tell him symptons and he will give you pills. Is Peyomp banned or something he has not bitched at me yet.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2005
  8. Taylor

Taylor Guest

I chose to go to a psychiatrist to get treated, and was given Zoloft, rather than going to a therapist.

9. BradUF

BradUF Guest

Rather cover the problem then solve it.

10. civicmon

solve what problem though? how can you cure a chemical imbalance w/o medication?

11. Taylor

Taylor Guest

This statement indicates you don't understand the psychological and biological aspects of depression.

12. BradUF

BradUF Guest

I understand that some people are born with it, but most arnt. You cant become chemcialy unbalanced because bad things happen in your life. My dad died and ever since my mom has had "depression" I know for a fact its not a chemical imbalance, thats its psychogical. I mean would you go to your doctor if your girl friend or wife left you and you become depressed for months on end. Which happens alot. No, you would seek help but that certainly would not be something you should be taking pills for. Anyways this is all off topic on what I was trying to get at. What I am is saying. Kids from an early age get forced to take these pills and then they think they need them to be happy, when this is not true most of the time. I think its a joke that what, something like 40% of America is depressed?? What a fucking joke. Also, I think its a joke that you can be consider disable from ADD or depression and get fucking money every month from the government.

13. Taylor

Taylor Guest

You're not born with depression, but you can be predisposed for it genetically. Also, it can develop over time. That doesn't mean it's not biological. Also, because it is kicked off by some inciting event also does not mean that it's situational rather than biological.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2005
  14. BradUF

BradUF Guest

And the proof behind that is? Last time I checked there is no blood test or any type of test besides questions to prove anything about depression or ADD. Also what are you saying? That since I have had a bad string of luck and a bad year my brain chemicals have changed and I am depressed?

15. Taylor

Taylor Guest

I am repeating what I have learned in psychology classes and from my psychiatrist. I think that psychological research and trained professionals would have a better idea than you.

16. AbsolutTA

AbsolutTA New Member

Your "brain chemicals" CAN and DO change throughout your life. Sometimes this doesn't work out too well and causes depression or anxiety for no appearent reason. Most of the time the changes occur as they should and nothing noticable comes of it. It's the same way cancer forms or someone gets diabetes or multiple sclerosis, etc... Your body changes and shit happens.

17. BradUF

BradUF Guest

Well why is more people becoming depressed or have ADD? Something in the water? There are numbers to prove that more and more kids are diagnosed with something.

18. AbsolutTA

AbsolutTA New Member

Awareness of the sugns and symptoms??
    I don't know, but ADD hasn't been around very long...

This is what needs to happen though:
    "Many children who come in with attention problems in a general sense are actually having attention difficulties in one area but not another area. One little boy came in with mommy and daddy saying he never pays attention in school, but it turned out it was mostly during writing assignments. Talking to him one on one, he was very attentive. When he was examining things visually he was very attentive. It was only when he had to write things that he became inattentive. There were a lot of writing assignments in school, so he looked inattentive during a good deal of the day. Once we found out the primary challenge, we worked on his being able to write more effectively...and that helped him out."

More doctors need to actually do some doctoring rather than just prescribing meds...

19. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

You have serious issues: you are clinically depressed, and are angry as hell at anyone that tries to do anything about it, since you're obviously not up to helping yourself. Your long term life-outlook is piss-poor unless you somehow get over this.

20. civicmon

until 1980 it didn't even have a name.. they thought it was just kids misbehaving, but it's a legit disorder.

now they blame everything from channel surfing to parents... and I have add so I do know of what I speak.

and no, people cannot get disability for ADD.

21. BradUF

BradUF Guest

I was waiting for that. All this time I thought you had me on ignore :) Anyways how can you say I am clinically depressed? Also the reason I dont get "help" because I know everyone is going to throw pills at the problem. Anyways I am going to go talk to someone about my "anger" And am waiting for someone to get back to me.

22. BradUF

BradUF Guest

No you cant get money but you can get out of courses in college if you go see a profesinal and they say you have ADD among other things. If I wanted to I could be excused from Math at my college. But I know you can be consider disable with depression.

23. civicmon

peyomp was banned. long story....

well if you don't want pills tossed at you, fine, so be it, but that doesn't mean they don't work for everyone, which is what you are implying.

pills keep me alive and happy :wavey: Sorry that you don't want them but it's a proven fact that they help A LOT of people.

24. BradUF

BradUF Guest

Pills killed half my family.

25. civicmon

I can't get out of classes at my school.

whoever told you that is making shit up. I go to a top-30 university ON THE PLANET, and i can't get outta shit. I get accomidated like testing centers and shit but that's about it.

my school requires a comprehensive ADD/aptitude test in order for accomidations to be made, so people like you who "if i wanted to be excused from math" have real proof that they have a disorder.