How many of you run servers?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by linuxpyro, Jan 11, 2005.

1. linuxpyro

linuxpyro New Member

OK, how many real geeks are out there? I actually have two boxes running as Internet servers off of my cable modem in my basement (I'd post a link to my site here, but I got a slight Slashdotting once, and I would not like to come close at least until I've been here a bit longer). What are the specs, what do you run off of them? I'm just talking about home servers, nothing at work (unless it's you make money selling hosting, but you get the idea).

2. Juvenall

Juvenall What Would Juvie Do?

I run one web server off of BSD, a mail and application server on Windows Server 2003 and a game server (for SubSpace) on a WinXP Pro box.

Most systems are scraps. The web server is a 1.2Ghz box with a gig of ram. The mail server is 1.5Ghz with 512Mb and the game server is my pride and joy. It's an old 500Mhz box with 256Mb.

This is all run off a 5Mb cable connection.

3. Chaotic Reality

Chaotic Reality New Member

p4 2ghz, 256mb ram, 120gig hd, FreeBSD 4.10. i just use it to back up shit from my laptop, it ran as a web server until I moved here and the ISP blocked all the ports.

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

74 servers (36 linux, 38 windows)

5. xheliox

xheliox It's Good To Be King

You have 74 servers at home?
    I have two servers at home, both Fedora Core 3.

One is an Athlon XP 2000+ with 512MB of RAM. 500GB of storage. It handles my file serving, gaming, etc.

The other, my firewall box, is a PII-450 with 256MB of RAM -- and it has a tiny hard drive. This box just acts as a firewall/dhcp server.

6. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

nothing currently. i have in the past run my own DNS servers on w2k and freebsd, apache on linux just for grins, ipchains firewall with snort and openbsd transparent bridge (not servers, but special use boxen anyway)

7. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

Servers at home? Zero. I guess I am not a "real geek" then.

8. percent

percent deluded

i have a print server at home...

but seriously, I deal with servers enough at work, i dont need more for my home.

I work I have an Exchange, Dedicated Web, SQL, File, and several Dev. servers. Plus whatever server are on the bench getting ready for clients.

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

No, I own a company, and we have 74 servers. If you want to count that as "work" thats fine.

At home : The RAID5 server I just built (see other thread). My file server (AMD Tbird 1.2) My Domain Controller (AMD 850) and my screw-around box (Intel 1.1)

10. Penetration

Penetration OT Supporter

My ISP is a bandwidth nazi so none at home for me :hs:

11. kl

kl New Member

Why not just get a router instead? Just curious. I used to have a system setup as a proxy/firewall/dhcp, but now I just use a Linksys router.

12. zero xeal

zero xeal Guest

FreeBSD server running VPN, might run DNS for my lan soon, either going with a win2k3 or FreeBSD fileserver (its looking like win2k3). Im thinking about making a few cheap but good AMD boxes do dick with, being that I hate trusting unreliable hardware with vital things (all my lovely warez).

Wish I had the cash to make a RAID 6 SATA storage server, but alas I don't have 2 - 3 grand to do that currently.

13. col_panic

i am shocked and appalled :mamoru:

14. xheliox

Eh. I like the flexibility I have. I can do a lot more with a Linux box than a cheapie router.

15. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

I run one server in an administrative building at school. It is a HP NetServer LH3, 2x450p2, 512, 3x9.1GB in RAID5 with 1 hot spare. Plus a Clariion storage array with 9x18GB with 1 hot spare. I would never run this thing at home because I would go broke with the power bill. :o

The nice thing about leaving it on campus is I get free power, security, and climate, plus a full 100mbit link. :o

16. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

definitely.

Most people don't realize that a vast majority of soho routers do infact run a stripped-down linux kernel. So why not get more functionality of a full-serve box if you know how!

17. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

;-) After a some days of admining a few K boxes around the world for countless hours, the last thing I want to play with when I get home is a server. Can you blame me?

18. Eskimo Yo-Yo

Eskimo Yo-Yo absent OT Supporter

19. kl

kl New Member

Ok, makes sense, so what can you do with a linux box that you can't do with a linksys router? The only advantage I could think of is DNS functions and possible running a fileserver, ect off of it. I'm just curious what can be done with them.

20. col_panic

nope. same reason ui isn't allowed in a.s.r.

21. xheliox

Just a couple of examples..

My "firewall" box cleans my incoming mail for spam & viruses. It also sorts my mail listing into proper folders for me (before opening up Thunderbird). I have traffic control scripts that allow me to prioritize my Vonage VoIP stuff & active SSH sessions. Also, my roommate uses the box as a remote proxy for when he's at work -- so I have Squid running on there. It also happens to monitor all my other work servers for me and pages me when they can't be contacted.

Various other things. Way more than a Linksys router can do. Oh yeah, and the performance kicks the ass of any cheapie router. :)

22. ins3cure

ins3cure Old School Noob

Dual 800mhz running W2K Adv Server for file and print services (also run Apache/PHP/MySQL but don't really use it)

Dual 1 ghz 1u currently wiped and may be used for VMWare

Optiplex 800mhz running SUSE Enterprise 9 my practice box for Novell CLP

I have another Optiplex with Fedora 2 but it's unplugged for a while

23. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

:werd:

The big thing I've noticed of late with my Linksys router is that its port forwarding capabilites are very limited. With my old Linux firewall, I had way more control over what I let through.

24. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

i run Apache off of my windows box set to only a specific folder for anytime i might need a picture or file on the road or to share with a friend or two and i use TightVNC to copy whatever file i want into that folder remotely for DLing.

25. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

I have an old desktop running Win 2k3 as a Domain Controller right now, but pretty soon its gonna be converted into a PVR comp. Its being replaced by a Xeon 550 server I picked up a couple weeks ago.